Jacks' TRD rev5

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jack-p

Jacks' TRD rev5

Post by jack-p »

hi, i'm jack. i recently bought a rev 5 with low milleage but not such nice bodywork to fit a trd kit to :D
i bought the kit second hand and had to take it off the existing car so know the fit should be fairly good, although some areas seemed to be bodged in order to get it to fit which i wont be doing and also everything was smoothed together so needs to be cleaned up.

first i fitted the boot as this seemed an easy place to start!

fitted the rear bumper

then fitted the front bumper, followed by the front wings which were attatched to the sideskirts.
then managed to split the sideskirts from the wings and refitted the wings

thats all i've managed so far :thumleft:
Last edited by jack-p on Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vampire

Re: Jacks' TRD rev5

Post by Vampire »

This is the TRD kit i was selling, really good luck with it all and i look forward to regular progress! :clap:
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

i cant see the progress being that regular though!
agentturbo

Post by agentturbo »

good luck with the build mate...

try and find my link around 2008 time about my build you may get some pointers there .. never did the build myself had enough stress just waiting for it to be completed ..if i had to do it again...i would have just bought an original kit made by TRD or bought a original TRD car..
well at least you seem keen. just don,t rush it..
top gun is the TRD king... give him a shout as he knows all about the stress with TRD builds...

cheers carl

engine link
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=122133
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

cheers :D i found your build thread, your car is very impressive! i especially like the origional sidestrips (not something i'll be able to do as im doing it myself though :( )
i will be taking my time over this as i bought it as a hobby for the summer and have another car to get around :thumleft:
im hoping as its already been fitted to a car previously any major problems will have already been sorted...
agentturbo

Post by agentturbo »

Hi Jack , like you said been fitted already so hopefully you do the business.
my advise is dont rush to put a class spray job on it straight away. leave it with primer coats..and drive it around for a while...all the bumps on the roads will bring out any imperfections with the fibre glass panels.
hope you thought about the wheels with the correct offsets.. not many idea sets around ...
your gonna eat ,sleep ,surf, think TRD till it's done mate..very addictive project.
but what a great looking car ..not bad for a twenty year old car.

:clap:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Let me know if you need some wheels - got a few sets that would go very nicely with it :-)

jack-p

Post by jack-p »

agentturbo wrote:Hi Jack , like you said been fitted already so hopefully you do the business.
my advise is dont rush to put a class spray job on it straight away. leave it with primer coats..and drive it around for a while...all the bumps on the roads will bring out any imperfections with the fibre glass panels.

very good advice, i never would have thought of that!
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

stuck the rear quarters on (just held in place with ducktape :oldtongue: ) to see how it all looks.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

right, thought this was due a little update :thumleft:

i managed to finish fitting the front end in place and all that needs doing to that now is adjusting the shut gaps around the bonnet \:D/
heres a pic showing the shutgap between the wing and the bumper (finished) and also the gap between the bumper and the front of the bonnet (needs addressing).
in the end after tidying up the panels i decided to fit the front bumper to the wings off the car and then fit the whole thing to the car... just seemed easier that way!

i've also made a start on fitting one of the sideskirts. rather than use self-tappers to hold it on like was previously done on this kit i decided to weld 2 bolts to a metal plate and fibreglass that to the front section of the skirt so that it can be bolted on.
heres the bracket i made:
and after being bonded onto the sideskirt this is then bolted through two holes onto the wing. you can see it in place in this picture;

i now need to bond on 2 bolts towards the back of the skirt and it should bolt on and off before being permanenlty fixed :thumleft:

finally i've cut back the passenger side rear arch and fixed the passenger side rear quarter on with self tapers so that just needs fibreglassing in place and smoothing.

i've also bought a set of volk racing alloys for the car but they're not in the best condition and could benefit from a refurb at some point (annoying when they were described as 'mint'! :roll: ) i've only got the backs on because the front will need low profile tyres to clear the suspension ](*,) also bought lightweight blue nuts because they look coooool! and got a trd spoiler 8)
heres some pics of how the car looks at the moment;
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

This is flying together! Keep up the good work :clap:
ImageImage
Vampire

Post by Vampire »

this is gona look sweet!!! glad the kits going on without to much hassle. :thumleft:

You decided on a colour yet?
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

:D cheers guys. i've decided to keep the car white. that's why theres lots of white patches all over, i wanted to paint the bits a painter might not be able to get to just to make sure theres no evidence it was once red!
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

impressive work so far mate. will look forwrd to seeing this progress :thumleft:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Likewise. Looks good and well executed so far. Might need to space those wheels a wee bit though to do justice to the final aesthetic.

R.
Mr Two

Post by Mr Two »

Let me know if you need some wheels - got a few sets that would go very nicely with it :-)

That first wheel looks like my Rays Mazdas i have just fitted Jeff - lovely lookin rims :mrgreen: :thumleft:
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

bit of an update...
i've bonded on one of the rear quarters and think it went pretty well.
up to around where the dotted line is, behind the panel is completely fibreglass so that i could then sand though the panel and bring it flush to the door rather than having a bulge
thats as far as i've gotten so far :thumleft:
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

forgot to mention, the black bag/ducktape is there because i smashed the glass while removing the window #-o
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

nice rims, too!
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

thanks :) they're in desperate need of a refurb though, i just dont have the time at the moment!

right a bit of an update then.

cut the other rear arch

and got the rear quarter on

also tidied up round the rear lights on the passenger side, yet to do the drivers side!

and sorted out the gap where the front bumper meets the bonnet and headlights

and how its llokin at the mo :D

Return to “Member Profiles”