ECU Swap?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Hogzi

ECU Swap?

Post by Hogzi »

Hi all,

I have an MRS Roadster (not2) 2000 plate and I just wondered if I got my hands on a 2005 UK ECU, Keys & Barrel would I be able to swap them over or do they have a different pin layout?

I am planning on doing this to prevent problems going forward as I've been told Toyota can't 'read' the fault codes on an import.

Many thanks
DannyN

Re: ECU Swap?

Post by DannyN »

Pretty sure that your MR-S does not have the 3rd O2 sensor and the wiring loom is not there
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

an import has no post-cat sensor?? :?
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

dansREV2turbo wrote:an import has no post-cat sensor?? :?

I believe that is correct, also the import doesnt have an immobiliser but the UK ECU will be looking for one
frogger

Post by frogger »

No need to swap ECU's - most codes can be read from the dash of the car with nowt more than a paper clip!

Follow the guidance at http://codes.rennacs.com/plugins/Toyota ... Avalon.php by bridging the pins with half a paper clip or something of the sort. (Ignore the fact it's for a Toyota Avalon - codes are the same).

Read the flashes of the CEL for engine codes as described in the link,
(You'll probably need to put your finger over whatever light your not trying to read, as it's quite distracting trying to count CEL flashes with the ABS light flickering away next to it!)

Look up the definition of the code using the link provided - Ignore the fact the link is for different toyota models - the list matches up for many many cars, as it's a standard code list. After getting the code definitions using the link, I did a few google searches for "Toyota Fault Code 28" etc..., and sure enough the same diagnosis exists against code 28 for Supras, Corrolla's, MR2's, etc...

People seem a bit reluctant to use this free technique (dont know why!), and are keen for code readers, which to be fair can provide some additional info - but this method has never failed me on several Toyotas and Hondas.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

at first i thought you were on about the mk2 code reading...

you are a star frogger! :clap: \:D/ this could well be what ive been after for ages!

i *think* this site gives you the JOBD codes too

http://www.jobd2.com/
Hogzi

Post by Hogzi »

Thank you!!!!!

I have been reading other posts but they sounded complex and no on actually said which code reader works.

Nothing wrong with my car (yet, touch wood) but this is really godd to know, thanks again!
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Hogzi wrote:Thank you!!!!!

I have been reading other posts but they sounded complex and no on actually said which code reader works.

Nothing wrong with my car (yet, touch wood) but this is really godd to know, thanks again!

Try going to the Mk3 specific website www.mr2roc.org

Try this thread Thread
frogger

Post by frogger »

dansREV2turbo wrote:at first i thought you were on about the mk2 code reading...

you are a star frogger! :clap: \:D/ this could well be what ive been after for ages!

i *think* this site gives you the JOBD codes too

http://www.jobd2.com/

The few codes I've tried on that jodb2 site have come back with the correct description, so definitely a good place to double check any codes!

I *think* the Mk2 can be read by this method too, but some models have a different looking port which requires a different couple of connectors to be bridged (check here for more details: http://codes.rennacs.com/Petrol-Engine/ ... ngines.php)

Fingers crossed, never needed to read any on my Mk1!
Only the Jap MR-S has been playing up, and it worked perfectly for that.
:D

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”