mk3 / MRS

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Yella Fella

mk3 / MRS

Post by Yella Fella »

Alright,

Just to check a few little things when buying one... for the UK MR2 mk3, its best to get 2002+ because of the pre-cat/oil issues?

I'm looking to really getting the jap version MRS, was there a similar issue to the UK with the said issues? Also for those that have the MRS, was it easy to clear issues with CEL lights? If so is there any garages (preferably mod ones) that deal with this near Milton Keynes?

One last thing, has anyone with a an MRS had their car on LPG rather than normal UK based tax?

Not sure how much or what tax band this car is on. Plus when putting a turbo or engine transplant, how much that will affect insurance/tax ;)

Thanks.
ilogik

Re: mk3 / MRS

Post by ilogik »

MR-S still suffers pre cat issue, but don't be put off buy a pre facelift, as longs as they are looked after they are just as good, and once pre cats are gone they are fine.

Rogue can do the CEL codes I think.

Insurance goes on the engine size ect, having a 2zz fitted didn't change my insurance.
Yella Fella

Post by Yella Fella »

wow... no insurance change on engine transplant? who was that with? I've been told any power increase of 10% over stock will dramatically rocket my insurance.

thing is, my main choice for me getting an MRS over a UK based MR2 mk3, is if the tax code gets put on to PLG as it be cheaper to tax. Saying that, probably be change after engine transplant/turbo.

On another note, if a mk3 facelift was bought, the (I think it has this) 6 speed gearbox help a 2zz engine conversion? Or they all get changed anyways regardless of edition?

Man so much to read up on with this car. Also, best forum for research and advice? So many MR2 forums! ;)
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

mr2roc.org
spyderchat.com
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Above forums are good.

The MRS and UK MR2 are essentially the same - the biggest difference is all UK MR2s have a limited slip diff, but the MRS rarely do (it was an option). A lot of the MRS have aircon on the other hand but not all of the UK ones. Best thing to do is find one you like the look of and go see it, I wouldn't be put off by it being Jap or UK. :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”