budget intercooling/charge cooling

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

budget intercooling/charge cooling

Post by loudandproud205 »

ive done exhaust, decat, filter, but am now looking at uprated intercoolers or something to lower charge temps.

i dont have a massive budget, and would preferably like to achive this for as little cost as possible really.

the upgrade is for a rev1,

i know that budget dosent go hand with performance.

any idea's or advice?

thanks lee
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: budget intercooling/charge cooling

Post by Peter Gidden »

loudandproud205 wrote:idea's or advice?

What are your intake temps now? How do you know they need attention?
bolton

Post by bolton »

If your keeping below aprox 380 bhp go with st205 charge cooler! If not boot mount intercooler! Both can be done on a tight budget!
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

Lee, for your spec i'd go with an XS power intercooler. Can be had for about £140-$160 off ebay.
craig

Post by craig »

ebay intercoolers, great budget intercoolers. Anything is better than the standard one :thumleft:

Just make sure if you get one, get one with all the hoses required and the decent clamps.
bolton

Post by bolton »

Id rather spend a little more on a celica gt4 st205 charge cooler than an ebay special! You could probably pick up a earlier celica charge cooler even cheaper! And they are quite easy to fit, tidy up the engine bay a treat and decrease lag!
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

i would like to get 300bhp but am not in a position to go forged, so proberly only looking to aim around 270/280 if poss.

i looked at ebay ones but read about some not so good reviews,

main problem was that i didnt know how efficient the oe ones were,

i was looking at the st180 charge cool kit but also like the idea of shiney intercooler :D

if it wasnt such a pain in turning inlet round id use the one i have already from a turbo conversion and mount it in the boot, but in reailty its totally unneeded and complete over kill.

i havent measure inlet temps tbf, but i want to increase boost and keep reliability
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

You could buy my ST185CC set up and all you'd need to do would be source a pump :wink:
bolton

Post by bolton »

If you like shiney things in the engine bay polish the chargecooler core! 8)
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

how effiecent is the the oe intercooler?

how would a charge cooler be bigger befit than a cheaper intercooler?
bolton

Post by bolton »

o/e intercooler is crap!! lol!
the charge cooler would lower inlet temps and you would have hardly any lag!! it also never really gets heat soaked like a intercooler in the standard place!!
i have a st205 chargecooler on mine and am very impressed! im only changing it due to it not being able to cope with my future plans!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-GT4-185-Ch ... 3efe7a29f7
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

so would ideally want uprated intercooler aswell/before?
bolton

Post by bolton »

nah jus a charge cooler would be fine for the job! :lol:
antnkel

Post by antnkel »

I've got one of those eBay ones and will be running around 300bhp on a supercharged engine O:)
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

imo if you want to bolt something on and actually feel the difference then go for an st205 cc.

they can be made to look pretty cool....
Think our installs are out of your budget though :oops:

:thumleft:
hkwc104

Post by hkwc104 »

Sorry if I'm hi-jacking the thread but how much do you charge for an st205 cc install Luke?
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

not mad keen on spending loads as its a rev1 and i would like to see some of the money ive spent on it in return so its more function over looks, but cant help the odd magpie moment lol

yes luke id think its alot outside my "budget" i do 99% of the work on my car myself as am a tight ass and that money could be spent else where, like the money ive saved fitting decat and exhaust system my self should gop quite a way in to buying intercooler/chare cooler.

think what i will end up doing is going for st185 set up as am not set on high figures, but what i will do over time is either fit one first then add the other.

on another note is there anything that can be done with the oe air conditioning set up as am jusking air con to save weight
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

I'm in the same boat with a rev2,however I want to keep the aircon and theres not a lot of room underneath,god forbid that my heaterpipes from hell repair fails and I have to start plumbing pipes under there :?

Looks like more hassle than I would want myself,as I tend to blast up to 80 then back off (really need to keep my licence nice and clean) :lol:

Paul
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Mike

Post by Mike »

I fitted a Greddy sidemount last summer. Its compact enough to fit neatly and tidely where the OE IC lives and it only took 2hrs to fit from start to finish. The benefits over the OE item are instantly apparent, so much more torque and throttle response, however, there is slightly more lag but that can be entertaining in itself 8)

Obviously the Greddy aint cheap (circa £600 if I remember correctly) but you may be able to find a second hand one for sale.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

Phill P wrote:I'm in the same boat with a rev2,however I want to keep the aircon and theres not a lot of room underneath,god forbid that my heaterpipes from hell repair fails and I have to start plumbing pipes under there :?

Paul

How did you repair your heater pipe problem? I am currently experience the heate pipe problem so I need to figure out the best way to repair them.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”