Correct fitment of Tein topmounts

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ya_crow

Correct fitment of Tein topmounts

Post by ya_crow »

Hi All,
Just a quick question for anyone who has fitted Tien coilovers with pillow ball top mounts. I fitted a set today and the camber is very positive i.e. top of the wheel sticks out more than the bottom. The height was already adjusted when I bought them and I haven't played with them yet but it looks like near stock ride height, tomorrow I intend lowering it a bit. I know that lowering it will adjust the camber but I started reading some threads on here and came across a picture of a topmount fitted the oposite way round to how I fitted mine.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ight=tein

I fitted mine with the camber adjustment the other way (top of the strut has faculity to move in and create more negative camber) In other words my top mounts are turned 180 degrees from the ones in this pic.

Can anyone let me know which way is the correct fitment? Or are both correct depending on how the camber needs adjusting?

Patrick[/url]
ya_crow

Re: Correct fitment of Tein topmounts

Post by ya_crow »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=126157

Might make it easier if I could post a link which works! :?

[/img]
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

sorry i cant help with your problem buddy, but i have a quick question the black nob located on the top of the centre bolt turns and clicks wile doin so if you keep turning them the never stop, i thort they might adjust the damperning force but as they never stop turning i guesse not does anyone no what it does?
steve

Post by steve »

GTS GAV wrote:sorry i cant help with your problem buddy, but i have a quick question the black nob located on the top of the centre bolt turns and clicks wile doin so if you keep turning them the never stop, i thort they might adjust the damperning force but as they never stop turning i guesse not does anyone no what it does?

isnt that just a dust cover? should be an allen bolt under it to adjust damping depending on the model
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

is this the alen key nut your talking about?

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131208
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

GTS GAV wrote:is this the alen key nut your talking about?

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=131208

yes mate that is the clicker that turns,and it has a black dust cover on it. on the tein superstreets it has 16 settings. so you should not over click it really. tein says it will damage the shock..!! so if you turn it all the way back ( anticlock-wise i think ) untill it stops, then each click ( clockwise ) is one damper setting. the more clicks the softer it goes. 16 max..!! i think tein have a downloadable user guide on ther site...!!

i would recommend putting a big blob of grease on that clicker nob to protect it from rust, other wise in time it will sieze and brake off just like mine did.. #-o . especially on the rears cause it getts damper in the back

:thumleft:
carlos9999

Post by carlos9999 »

that picture shows them the wrong way round im sure.. mine are turned 180 degrees to that, and i have negative camber without adjusting them more.
so in answer to your question i think you have it right..
if you bought them new then your ride height should be about 25mm lower than stock, cause they are already preset at that from tein. well mine where anyway and it states this in your user guide if you have one...!!

:thumleft:
ya_crow

Post by ya_crow »

Thanks guys,
I spent today fitting the rears and adjusting all 4 so at least they look as though the camber is symetrical. Will have a proper alignment done asap.

The knobs in the top of the strut are definetly for adjusting the dampers and as already mentioned you are not supposed to turn them more than 16 clicks. The Tein website has a fitting guide although it's a bit basic.

All I have left to do now is the alignment and find the source of the nasty clunking noise. :-(
ya_crow

Post by ya_crow »

Thanks guys,
I spent today fitting the rears and adjusting all 4 so at least they look as though the camber is symetrical. Will have a proper alignment done asap.

The knobs in the top of the strut are definetly for adjusting the dampers and as already mentioned you are not supposed to turn them more than 16 clicks. The Tein website has a fitting guide although it's a bit basic.

All I have left to do now is the alignment and find the source of the nasty clunking noise. :-(

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”