Nathan's MR2 no more?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

irish_dan

Nathan's MR2 no more?

Post by irish_dan »

Just off the phone with a mate of mine over here in Ireland and he's said he bought Nathan's complete rear clip this morning. Supposedly Nathan had a blowout on the motorway with his MR2 on the car trailer behind him. Trailer flipped and sent the MR2 over the central reservation. Car's subsequently a write off...

My mate who bought the car is putting it in his 4 wheel drive Corolla. Any of you on the GT4OC will know him as Alanv. This will now be the worlds most powerful Corolla, taking the title away from Fensport! I really can't wait to see this. I have no other info at the mo' but as soon as Alan hears more I'll fill you guys in!

:shock:
ashley

Re: Nathan's MR2 no more?

Post by ashley »

irish_dan wrote:Nathan had a blowout on the motorway with his MR2 on the car trailer behind him. Trailer flipped and sent the MR2 over the central reservation.

:shock: :shock:

I bet that was a serious brown trouser moment- hope no one was hurt
irish_dan

Post by irish_dan »

This is what I was told on the phone by my mate who was talking to Nathan. I'm sure Nathan himself will be on sooner or later to fill us all in though...
craig

Post by craig »

Holy crap, that was an awesome motor!! :o :shock: :cry:

Really hope nobody was hurt tho as an MR2 flipping over the central reservation sounds :pale:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Condolences to Nathan and the team :cry:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

That must have happened this weekend then, that was at Brands Hatch on Saturday I thought?
irish_dan

Post by irish_dan »

Yea it was at Brands Hatch. Must have been Saturday alright. I'm gutted for Nathan though. I know how proud he was of this car.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

I chatted with Nathan at Race Car Live on Sunday morning (he offered me a drive in his Ginetta G50, which I decided against given the awful conditions) and he didn't mention anything.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

It wasnt too breezy down here sat ( im not far from brans) however, sunday was unreal, my gf had to pull over on the way to bluewater so i could take over as the wind was scaring the life out of her.

Perhaps he was heading home sunday and thats when it happened? If it happened?
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

I believe it happened on the way home from race car live. The trailer snapped off the tow bar and carried on down the motorway, then turned sharply into the conrete central resavation.
I'm pretty sure Nathan was in his lorry following his dad home and had to heart brakingly watch this all happen.
Marf

Post by Marf »

:cry:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

:shock: :shock: no way, not the worlds fastest MR2??? Surely not :( :(
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

which one was this??? the century car???

either way :pale: like said hope everyone was okay
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

Yea 100% the white Century MR2, I'll text nathan and get him to come and post about it.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

You gotta love forums!

Ok .. first things first - Yes, there was a crash on the way back from race car live which involved Clive (my father) his car, a trailor and the Century MR2 inside it.

The car lost control of the trailer after a puncture, the trailer hit the hard shoulder and broke away from the car leaving my father facing the wrong way up the M25 in a severly damaged car.

The trailer contined up the road some 150meters until turning sharp right into the central reservation which happend to be 4ft thick concrete insead of an armco. The trailer stopped dead causing the MR2 to move some 6ft forward and break through the front of it.

The MR2 did NOT flip over the central reservation.

I followed in the truck and saw the whole thing happen infront of my eyes. Not a nice situation but thankfully Clive escaped unharmed.

Just for further clarification I don't think the car is a write off, I still havent recieved it back and it was very difficult to see exactly how bad it was last night. The trailer is fibreglass which doesn't seem to have caused much damage - the thing that looks bad is the windscreen is shattered as the car has hit the metal tyre stand inside the trailer, I couldn't see the A pillars at the time but obviously if they are badly damaged it'll make the car unrepairable.

Finally, the rear clip is by no means sold. It has been spoke about but no figure has even arose and Alan has been told that the motor will only be sold once i've had chance to see the car in daylight and made a decision.

Obvioulsy this is a very sensitive subject for me and one that I would like to have kept private. The last thing I wanted to see was some inaccurate story about the incident on a national forum..

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
ashley

Post by ashley »

Glad your Dad's ok, really sorry to hear about the car- hope you find it ain't too badly damaged
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Firstly Nath, glad your old man is fine, that's the main thing. Secondly, hope the 2 is ok but as you said, gotta be a tad annoying seeing posts like this with people already having claimed your engine and having it shipped over! Lol.

Best of luck with it all buddy.
Chris

Post by Chris »

As said, glad your old man ok :thumleft: And it's the last time I ask you to deliver my new car :lol: :clown:

Seriously though, only metal, it'll bend back if you want it too :thumleft:
irish_dan

Post by irish_dan »

Glad to hear your father is OK Nathan. I wasn't fully aware of what happened as I said in my first post. I was merely putting across what I had been told. If the cars not a write off I really hope you get it put back together as it's a cracking motor and a credit to the MR2 community.

If you don't want this spread about the MR2 community then I don't mind having this topic removed.
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Steve Horrocks wrote:Firstly Nath, glad your old man is fine, that's the main thing. Secondly, hope the 2 is ok but as you said, gotta be a tad annoying seeing posts like this with people already having claimed your engine and having it shipped over! Lol.

Best of luck with it all buddy.

I was due to be building an engine of similar spec for Alan but after he called this morning I put my engine in the frame after fearing the worst from last nights accident.

I have emailed specs and parts but nothing else has been spoke about. The final line in the email was the sale would be dependant on the condition of the car.

I have a 686hp supra ready for a p/x so I need to think carefully and really asses the situation before anything is decided.
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”