Batteries for the Roadster - Standard and Upgraded

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

Batteries for the Roadster - Standard and Upgraded

Post by BenF »

Just been looking around at options for batteries for the Roadser, and have found there's a lot of incorrect information that suppliers have as to what fits the Roadster.

NOTE : Before using any of the below, CHECK the battery on your car and measure the terminal posts - you often cannot return batteries once purchased! Japanese ones are 14mm and 13mm in size, 'European' size posts are 19.5 and 18mm. Posts are usually slightly narrower at the top than the base.

So, hopefully this will be useful for anyone looking to replace their battery in future. I've also been specifically looking at 'upgrades' over standard batteries for use in the car, with a higher engine cold cranking capacity.

Problem I've got - my Toyota 'Optifit' battery has been flat a few times and although will start the car fine, the Profec e-01 display will not start correctly every time. As the engine cranks, there's corruption on the display - this gets worse in the cold, which I suspect is due to the supply voltage dropping as the engine cranks. Trying to clean up the supply ( capacitors, diodes) has helped a little, but not cured the problem.

Also, charging my Optifit battery I don't get the 'green' signal in the indicator glass, but a black one - indicting the battery is probably partially sulphated and on its way out.

The Battery in my car has 'thick' European posts, as opposed to the 'thin' posts on Imports. The Positive terminal is also on the right, as viewed from the rear of the car.

Halfords :

Worth noting they do free battery checks, and can also check your alternator is charging and the regulator is working correctly. They've got a BOSCH tester to do this for them automatically - well worth doing if you think you've got problems.

For reference, the Standard Halfords battery did well in an AutoExpress battery test a few years ago, so would be one I'd consider for the '2.

Their Guide Recommends the HB053 battery - correct size, correct location of the +ve on the right BUT has thin terminals so not correct.
Looking on the shelves, the HB057 has the correct thicker terminals, is the right size - but the + and - terminals are on the wrong sides.
Looking at my car, there appears to be enough slack the battery cables to stretch to reversed terminals if needed, but didn't check further.

Cost - £59ish for either currently.

However, there was no 'performance' Calcium or Silver variant available

Other Alternatives : Bosch, Varta, Exide and Optima

Bosch / Varta
Bosch and Sister company Varta both do batteries but again the online recommendation tools were wrong for my March '03 car ( They recommended thin Japanase spec post batteries )

Bosch do a S4 series battery, with thick posts which is S4021 - the thin post variant is S4020 which look to fit.

Its not clear if this is a performance variant, but its CCA spec is the same as the Halfords one. ( 330A, and 45ah Capacity)

Their sister company, Varta do list two batteries - from checking all their online datasheets I've managed to work out which ones are correct for me :

First, one with narrow posts ( which isn't right for my car ) and claims Calcium / Silver technology but the CCA is 330A - about the same as a standard battery. Details are B31, Varta DIN ref 545 155 033.

Checking their datasheets, the 545 156 033 is the same battery but with thick battery posts - which is what my '2 needs.

Exide
I did find an Exide battery to fit, but it was a 'basic' model - I'd hoped to find a premium Silver / Calcium technology model but they don't do one.
Given Halfords batteries out performed standard Exide batteries I didn't go any further.

Optima
I've actually gone for an Optima battery - the Yellow Top D51R with reversed terminals, which is the same physical size as the standard battery.

see http://www.tayna.co.uk/Optima-Yellow-Top-P3802.html

Googling, you'll find lots of material about Optima batteries - they're made by a Swedish company, with their original application being motorsport. The only one that fits the MR2 Roadster is a 'deep cycle' Yellow top battery. Deep cycle batteries normally aren't used for road cars as they don't provide the starting current needed- but the Optima's construction and the use of glass matting and spiral wound cells means it has exceptionally low internal resistance and is able to provide the high current needed to crank a cold engine - its capacity is a massive 460CCA.

I noted top end Bosch batteries are also offering batteries on this technology for applications other than MR2s - their price is around £130-150.

Cost of the Optima is £175 delivered - not cheap - but I'm looking forwards to getting it fitted into the '2 this weekend and with the big improvement in the cold cranking capacity hopefully should sort the problems I've been seeing with the Profec controller's screen.

I'll post back with views and some pictures once it is in the '2.
greglebon

Re: Batteries for the Roadster - Standard and Upgraded

Post by greglebon »

Funny: I'm on this at the moment, too...!

Looking at the dimensions , having measured my battery tray, it looks like the HB005, or HBC005 (calcium) from Halfords will fit: right terminal post diameter, pitch, and orientation (+ve on the right).

Only concern is how close to the engine cover the +ve terminal will be: as the battery is about 3cm wider, the terminal will be further back towards the rear of the car, so it MAY be dangerously close to the lid?

Probably not, though...and it is insulated, too....but cannot be too careful?! :wink:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Hmm, interesting - that's a 17.5cm 'deep' battery rather than the standard ~ 13cm.

Height wise, it's the same as the standard battery so you shouldn't have problems with it getting near to the engine lid,

I did have a look at the possibility of fitting one but the battery retaining strap on mine specifically has L brackets on it to hold either side of the 13cm wide battery, so I'd have had to DIY an equivalent which I didn't fancy. Could probably be done with a few J bolts and straps.

I've just had a look through the stuff I printed off yesterday - and Varta ( / Bosch ) don't have a premium battery that is 225mm 'tall' - they're all 175 or 190mm.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

I've fitted the Optima battery earlier - and I am well chuffed, the car starts easily from cold and even better it has sorted out the screen corruption on the boost controller - something I was hoping for, but I was expecting to have to do work in other areas too.

But, as I suspected, it turns out the old battery wasn't able to crank the engine and keep the voltage up for the boost controller, which was causing the corruption. Doing a quick unscientific test, with the interior light on, starting the engine the light doesn't dim or flicker at all.

Swapping the battery was a straightforward swap and refit - one thing to note :

- the Optifit battery had slightly recessed terminals - the Optima's are 'proud' on top, so there's a little extra stretch required from the cables to get there, but no problems with that. There's also no problem with problem with clearance with the engine lid above.

having done the swap, the only other thing to note is that the ECIU was busy re-learning its setup. Some pictures I took of the process :

The Original battery installed in the car - note the black ( rather than green ) sightglass showing the battery isn't 100% OK

And out of the car - it looks like the spec for CCA is only 175 (!?) Not surprising the car was struggling when the sight window says the battery wasn't 100% OK.

The Battery clamp that grabs either side of the 13mm battery - replacement was a direct fit replacement.

The Optima battery

And connected in the car.

I also took some time to measure the space available, and I think you could get a 17cm wide by ~ 23-24 cm long battery into the space there.

the Battery tray : Image

Length :
Width : ( Note slightly diagonal, but 170 mm seems possible
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Nice info...! :thumleft:

Looks like I'm going for the calcium HCB005 route...!

I'll let you know how I get on..

The cold spell has revealed my battery is not 100%......harder to start in the cold...

So I started looking at specs: seems the starter-motor on the Mk3 is 90A max current draw?

The alternator is 80A.

This got me thinking: as I have a hefty V6 in there, using the Camry starter / alternator, perhaps my alt is overcharging the weedy Mk3 stock battery...causing damage, perhaps?

..and the starter will certainly be higher rated than the 1ZZ starter..?

I reckon a bigger batt makes sense....! :D
loadswine

Post by loadswine »

I have a red top battery that I put in my Roadster recently and it cranks brilliantly when cold, much better than the Bosch one I had before.
The V6 takes a lot of cranking when cold and the battery is more than up to the job.
I imagine the yellow top is better still.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Interesting, Nigel...!

So, perhaps my battery IS 100%...? Just a little under-rated for the job...?

In the "summer" ( :roll: ), it started on the button: no hesitation at all..but now it takes a second to catch....not much, I admit...but a noticeable difference..... :D

£175 for a battery...!? :shock:

The Halfords one is £83......

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165762

.....if it fits ok, that is.....! :wink:

I could probably go to my local motor factors and get similar for £50-60..?

But, CBA, tbh.......! :whistle:
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

My local Toyota dealer was way cheaper than Halfords so no contest for me!
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Well, I'm still living on borrowed time (battery-wise!) :D

I do have a motor factors right behind my house: its just that I dont fancy chatting to the muppets behind the counter, sifting through catalogues trying to find the right battery...!!?

I suppose I COULD simply take the dimensions of the HCB005 in there, and hope that the specs in their books actually list dimensions...? :roll:
AllanE

Post by AllanE »

the Camry starter / alternator, perhaps my alt is overcharging the weedy Mk3 stock battery...causing damage, perhaps?

Absolutely not - if your alternator is working OK, it will only ever deliver enough to keep the battery at full charge, only exception is if the car's electrical systems are using more than the alternator can supply.
Once the battery is fully charged, the alternator is only supplying enough spiff to power your ignition, radio, etc.

The mk3 stock battery is anything but weedy - it's only really there to power the starter motor and 175CCA is plenty.
I have a YTX9 (bike) battery on mine and that starts the car no problem (when I haven't left it too long to go flat) - it only weighs 4kg and cost about £26.[/quote]

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”