Chargecooler?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

easty-5

Chargecooler?

Post by easty-5 »

Are the benefits of replacing the stock intercooler on a Rev3+ with a ST205 chargecooler much greater than replacing with an uprated intercooler?

I will be collecting my MR2 Tubby on sunday and want to get on with prepping it for some trackwork.

How easy are the ST205 chargecoolers to come across?

Cheers
Jamie
Marf

Re: Chargecooler?

Post by Marf »

In a word yes. Its worth it. Everyone who I've spoken to said its a great mod, more power and better throttle response.

One guy(cant remember his username) was at the dyno day Munnsy organised in July, he'd had a run without the chargecooler on there, and then on the day had a run with the chargecooler and gained 20hp.

The chargecoolers themselves come up for sale all the time, tend to sell for between £150 and £200.

I have one waiting to go on.
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

Okay. The cores themselves look pretty small and quite thin though.

Next question, how easy are they to fit?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

If you used the search function, you'd have found this thread...

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... ight=st205
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Marf

Post by Marf »

They are a little involved to fit.

You need about 10m of coolant pipe, a fiat cinquecento radiator, and some parts from the Celica to bolt it all on such as the throttle sock, some bolts, throttle cable adapter etc.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I dont think its hard to fit just seems fiddly and a pain getting the car up in the air and bumper off.

I have mine ready to go on and will be starting tomorrow on it :)

Oh dont know what they are like for track use, I think someone said for track use that involve alot of constant boost they can get a little warm.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

just got my bumper etc off and good god its like the Fiat Rad is designed for the MR2!!!! The Bolt holes for the Horns line up perfectly with the mounts on the Fiat Rad!! Looks like making the Rad mount will be easy :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Until you come to attach it at the bottom :) Yes, there are unused holes in the lower frame... but try getting to the back of them :D
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Marf

Post by Marf »

Nice one steve :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

toxo wrote:Until you come to attach it at the bottom :) Yes, there are unused holes in the lower frame... but try getting to the back of them :D

Im going to try and not attach it at the bottom as that will mean cutting my border bumper :wink:

Just wondering, why did you need to attach it at the bottom? did it wobble back and forward?

Marf wrote:Nice one steve :thumleft:

Will take pics of where I run the pipes etc. it realy doesnt look that hard at all once the bumpers off. HAve you bought your hose yet? If not try Halfords, £2.20 per meter for proper radiator hose 19mm (3/4 Inch) It goes onto the 22mm Charge cooler + pump connectors easy as well :).
Last edited by Steve-O 2007 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

The mounts on the fiat rad didn't seem very strong, and I figured it best to minimise movement. The last thing you want is the radiator swinging backwards and forwards and contacting things!
David21

Post by David21 »

I have an ST205 Charge Cooler core for sale if you are looking for one. I decided to take the easy option and get a Greddy i/c instead, that way i could easily fit it my self :roll:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

toxo wrote:The mounts on the fiat rad didn't seem very strong, and I figured it best to minimise movement. The last thing you want is the radiator swinging backwards and forwards and contacting things!

well I will see tomorrow :) Might weld a bar onto my mount something like this |-| to give it more strength (The bar would be in a hidden area behind the crash bar )

Only planning on running the pipes and radiator this weekend then if time get the wiring ready for the pump
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Yeah, that's what I did. Radiator one day, pipes the next, pump later, core last.

You've seen how I attached mine, with the brackets I made. I did that because I can't weld :thumleft:
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Im getting this done soon.......by Luke/Harry at Pacific Works.
Just got to buy the CC and the Fiat rad, extra pump and they'll sort the rest along with a bling paint job on the CC. 8)
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Marf wrote:
One guy(cant remember his username) was at the dyno day Munnsy organised in July, he'd had a run without the chargecooler on there, and then on the day had a run with the chargecooler and gained 20hp.

Hehehehehe that was me!

The 20hp gain was not from a 205 CC tho, its from a JDModified charge cooler. Its like a new car almost since getting this fitted, the power delivery is incredibly smooth, its almost like an NA :thumleft:
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

Looks nice in the pics....like THORS CC.

May I ask how much they are including fitment?

Cheers

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”