[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo - to have seals done or to replace that is the question!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martian_333

[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo - to have seals done or to replace that is the question!

Post by Martian_333 »

What do you think?

My CT26 Stage 1 Hybrid needs the seals doing as its leaking quite badly - my brain is telling me to just buy a decent CT20b as it will probably cost just as much to have the seals done. I can always keep the Hybrid for later.

What do you think?

My end goal for now is around 260-280bhp tops.
C50

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo - to have seals done or to replace that is the question!

Post by C50 »

ct20 :thumleft:
Dan88

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo - to have seals done or to replace that is the question!

Post by Dan88 »

Im in the same situation, except i have a ct26 thats on the way out. do i go for CT20 or hybrid CT26. Tempted to go for CT20 as they are relatively cheap and a straight swap. however i understand the power is smoother than the ct26, and i love the surge of power you get from them.

(sorry to hijack your thread mate, just easier than starting a new topic)
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

No problem fella! your not hijacking

I really not sure what to do, to give you an idea its £195+vat to have mine refurbed at Turbo Technics but you could probably get a CT20b for that 2nd hand.

I've also heard you have to run the hybrids at very high bar to get the kind of horsepower figures they claim (240-350bhp) whereas something like a GT28 would be alot better and probably a whole lot healthier on the engine.

So my options are:

CT20b
Regurb my Hybrid
GT28
...?

If I go for the GT28 what kind of BHP does it put out stock, i.e lowest bar on a Rev 1.

Anyone have any other options other than the CT20b that would get me 240-xxx? I'll be running at 240 while I upgrade the internals to handle more boost (head gasket, injectors etc), can I run a big turbo at very low boost? if so which turbo (as the end goal is 350 or so).

Appreciate the help :thumleft:
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

Return to “Mechanical”