[Mk2] [NA] REMOVING AIR-CON BELT

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

guypevbay

[Mk2] [NA] REMOVING AIR-CON BELT

Post by guypevbay »

SEEING AS MINES A T-TOP,,,AIR-CON SEEMS POINTLESS ! JUST WONDERED IF I REMOVED BELT,DOES IT AFFECT THE HEATER? THOUGHT I COULD GET ANOTHER MILE PER GALLON WITHOUT IT ! MINE DOESN'T BLOW COLD ANYWAY SO NO LOSS! SEEMS TO ME BELT ONLY DRIVES A/C MOTOR,,BUT I'M ONLY NOVICE! ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE GREAT,,,CHEERS
badgerbob

Re: [Mk2] [NA] REMOVING AIR-CON BELT

Post by badgerbob »

had the the a/c unit removed from mine, (weight saving) as you mentioned with the t-tops is there much point?...nope,

but heater etc all works fine :th:
guypevbay

Post by guypevbay »

Cheers mate,, probably won't remove it all,,was just worried heater might not work,,,,thanks
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

the ac works on an electronic clutch so only works when its turned on.. ie when its not turned on its just spining and not causeing ur engine any stress or mpg. only reason for taking it out is the weaght saving. about 15kg.

not worth bothering about to be honest. unless ur bored and fancy something to do. or your trying to reduce weight.
guypevbay

Post by guypevbay »

So is there any point in just taking belt off,,I figured that if its driving this big a/c motor for no reason,,take belt off and less resistance for the engine.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

There's no point in taking the belt off, unless you're changing your alternator belt in which case you could just not put it back on afterwards. As per redmr89's post, the aircon compressor has a magnetic clutch which only engages when required (ie aircon switched on and compressor required for cooling). With the aircon turned off (or empty of gas) all the belt is doing is spinning a pulley, there's no load on it.

It would only be worth it if you were actually going to remove the compressor for weight saving purposes.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “Mechanical”