top gear, camary engine

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

crazybrightman

top gear, camary engine

Post by crazybrightman »

im half watching top gear and did i just hear clarkson say the new lotus uses a camary v6? if so :lol: i think their copying the mk1 conversions now! fancy a v6 conversion again now as well so many ideas!
4agte on the way
GhostWKD

Re: top gear, camary engine

Post by GhostWKD »

crazybrightman wrote:im half watching top gear and did i just hear clarkson say the new lotus uses a camary v6? if so :lol: i think their copying the mk1 conversions now! fancy a v6 conversion again now as well so many ideas!

Thats right, first thing i thought of was the V6 2's heh :mrgreen:
OlberJ

Post by OlberJ »

Yep and we've put one in a Mk2 already.

It's a 2GR-FE engine, puts out about 270bhp straight out the box.

Absolutely brilliant engine.

There's a group buy happening on the engines too if you fancy some Evora goodness. :mrgreen:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Not surprised at all that Lotus used the camry V6 for the evora, compact, tons of torque and lightweight.... awesome engines.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Not surprised at all that Lotus used the camry V6 for the evora, compact, tons of torque and lightweight.... awesome engines.

The only surprise for me was that they used the 'FE rather than the 'FSE. But then this does leave the door open for a hotter model in the future - never lead with your strongest model!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

....the one with the TRD supercharger from the Oz market?

R.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

HighwayStar wrote:....the one with the TRD supercharger from the Oz market?

Nope, it's a higher performance version of the same engine at ~306bhp / 277lbft. It's currently fitted to the Lexus IS350 which I think is only available in Japan and the US. The extra power comes from a very clever system of having two sets of injectors - one in the ports and one directly into the cylinders. As RPM and load vary the ECU switches between injector sets favouring directly into the cylinders as RPM increases.

The same engine has been used to very good effect in MR-S based JGTC cars in Japan:

Needless to say, it's on my wish list!

Patrick
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

As luck would have it we are in the process of organizing a group buy on a container full of 2gr swap bundles complete with mounting kits and everything required to get it running in an Mr2 just like the full fly-by-wire 2gr install we did last month.... so it was a bit of a surprise when the Evora popped up on TG last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4K-rq1eqlo

Details on the group buy are here for anyone that's interested... http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119574

The only surprise for me was that they used the 'FE rather than the 'FSE. But then this does leave the door open for a hotter model in the future - never lead with your strongest model!

Indeed, it's such a shame that engine has fitment issues in an Mr2 but nothing that the likes of lotus could not have got around.... now what they REALLY should be using is the Audi V8's :whistle:
Marf

Post by Marf »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Indeed, it's such a shame that engine has fitment issues in an Mr2

Is it impossible to fit or just awkward?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Nothing is "impossible" , just depends how deep your pockets are! The main issue is the O/S driveshaft is hitting things it shouldn't be on its way to the hub.... not impossible to sort but by no means plug and play.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Is that on both the Mk1 and Mk2?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes even mk3 too, they all use the Mk2 turbo gearbox with that engine so it's the turbo supported shaft that is the problem.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Thats a shame, the supercharged version thats sold in the AusDM Aurion looks like it would be the perfect engine for an MR2, be it mk1, 2 or 3.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It may be possible to bolt some 2gr-fse bits onto the 2gr-fe to build a "best of both worlds" engine but obviously costly.

I thought the Aurion was a 2gr-FZE? That may not have the driveshaft issues of the FSE engine.... needs researching that one.
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

talking of v8s is there any reason you goes havent tried either 2uz (landcruiser amazon 4.7) or the lexus ls400 (4.0) have seen a complete lexus in good condition for £1300 ??
Marf

Post by Marf »

PW@Woodsport wrote:I thought the Aurion was a 2gr-FZE?

Yep you're right, its the FZE :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Marf, it seems the basic Aurion SC engine is in fact a 2gr-FE by block design, so there would be nothing preventing that whole unit being fitted to an Mr2... IF you can get one :thumleft:

talking of v8s is there any reason you goes havent tried either 2uz (landcruiser amazon 4.7) or the lexus ls400 (4.0) have seen a complete lexus in good condition for £1300 ??

Yes i have already gone down this route with the ls400 engine, i have one sat here with an E153 adapter plate on it all ready to fit, but i gave up on it due to having to space frame the mk1 which was just chopping the original car too much....

The adapter plate...

So yes it will all fit but not without chassis rail mods, as i said NOTHING is impossible.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

PW@Woodsport wrote:as i said NOTHING is impossible.

So go on then, fit one of these with no visible external modification....

:mrgreen: :evil:
omracing

Post by omracing »

I'm seriously tempted. Are these figures banding about correct Paul for a complete installation ?
Red MR2 Mk1a - Rose SOLD
Blue MR2 SC conversion 180 bhp - Lightning
DevaMR2

Post by DevaMR2 »

kaiowas wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:as i said NOTHING is impossible.

So go on then, fit one of these with no visible external modification....

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/20 ... engine.jpg

:mrgreen: :evil:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”