My Dials... 1st Prototype

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Frustrated Pilot

My Dials... 1st Prototype

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

Hi all,

I wanted something different but in keeping with the whole red MR2 "as standard as possible" look... i.e. excluding the elglow dials lol.

(if that makes any sense.)

The standard back lights on the MR2 are green, so I fitted green leds... and I was quite suprised that the green came though so green at night! The photo is poor in the night shot... the dials are completely illuminated.

Well, here they are...

(excuse the carppy photos... the camera has been dropped many times and appears to pick up much reflection... although there is hardly reflection if you look at them whilst driving...)

Dale_V

Re: My Dials... 1st Prototype

Post by Dale_V »

you say prototype, id just change back to original dials TBH, yours dont look right

original dials FTW
Frustrated Pilot

naaaaa, original ones were poo. I wanted revision 5 look alikes ;)

I do need to make them out of matt finish laminate though & put the needle on lol
Dame

Post by Dame »

If you could get them printed onto the right material they would look heaps better. I think the design is good, but the finish isn't right.

I did think about whether it would be possible to print a design onto acetate sheets i.e the ones used for overhead projectors. I know it is possible to get ones that are laser printer friendly and I think that most laser printers produce a matt finish, so it is just possible this would provide the look you need.

I think this approach would have some potential issues:

a) It's possible that the black toner wouldn't be thick enoiugh to conceal the light shining through. A possible work around for this would be to print one copy of the dials with the red lettering etc. in place and another copy of the dials with white replacing the red. On acetate these white areas would print out as transparent. You could then double up the sheets to make the black areas twice as thick.

b) As I mention above, any white areas appear transparent when printed onto acetate, so you would need to find something like a white piece of acetate to sandwich behind the main dial sheet so the transparent areas become white.

Anyway this is just an Idea, I did do some experiments with this several years ago and the results seemed quite promising. If you have a colour laser printer it might be worth experimenting.....
Frustrated Pilot

Ah HA! Exactly.. You see I was thinking... very thin white plastic sheet. with vinal print over laid on the top... cut into the right shape... and that would do it as you can get a nice matt finish at a professional printers.

but even then... matt laminate is better. The problem I had was cheap thin paper... it warped when the black ink went on it.

I need HQ paper then it doesnt warp, with a normal print... then matt laminate and it comes out top quality.. (ive made them before for people in the past but had access to professional printers equipment... now im at home with a carppy £20 printer ;)

When I get some ink for my professional printer it will come out perfectly.

Ignore the finish atm... thats in develpment ;)

but I can make any number of designs as I have the whole lot in photoshop.
craig

Post by craig »

Not my cuppa matey. But if you like em then all good.

Dale_V wrote:

original dials FTW

here here! :thumleft:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Frustrated Pilot wrote:naaaaa, original ones were poo. I wanted revision 5 look alikes ;)

I do need to make them out of matt finish laminate though & put the needle on lol

Look great, but not sure about the night shot, maybe they look better seeeing them face to face not by camera!

Its all down to your own taste, some people like the crappy standard colour, some people like bright pink (me if i could get some)

Some people would love there dash to be covered in walnut.

If your happy, then your happy :thumleft: Thats that matters and fair play to you for having a go DIY, great effort :thumleft:
redmr89

Post by redmr89 »

ive two comments.

you have a crap camera. get yourself down to currys and buy a decent one.

2nd... the numbers on the rev counter range from 1 to 9 like they should. but they are in red. id get them in white until the redline at 7.2k revs. or maybe lift this acording to the rev limit on the car there made for.
Frustrated Pilot

yeah.. agreed....

I think i will do that on the 2nd version when I get all the right materials!!
streamliner

Post by streamliner »

bout time ya got to swindon and got drunk me thinks :clap:
Frustrated Pilot

Is that you Griff?

If it is ...Bout time you come to London and join us here for home made alcoholic beverages ;)

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”