[Mk2] [Generic] audi v8 in a 355 replica

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lewis88

[Mk2] [Generic] audi v8 in a 355 replica

Post by lewis88 »

i have just had my f355 replica back from the paint shop and now i fancy going all out and fitting an audi v8 in the back. how much money will things like driveshaft shortening, having the engine mounts properly made, gearbox adaptor plate etc cost. also do i use the standard ecu and chop it into the mr2 loom or standalone if so how do i get a map onto it so it will fire? i would like some input just to say if im they think jumping too far ahead, i know it will be a long project. but il have the performance to go with the looks if it all goes my way :lol:
ooh forgot to say im pretty sure il have to chop the boot away. thanks. lewis

Image[/img]
Shmed

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] audi v8 in a 355 replica

Post by Shmed »

That would be one serious project :shock:

You got a workshop or deep pockets?

If it were me, I'd probably have considered the engine berfore fitting the kit, especially if you are planning on extending the engine bay into the boot.

Speak to someone like Patrick at Rogue (or any of the other affiliated or even non affiliated companies) as they have a lot of experience of crazy projects like this :D
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

woodsport are doing the Audi v8 work. Think its into a mk1 though. Check the mk1 forum on here or TwoBrutal website.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
steve b

Post by steve b »

I think your best bet would be dropping the car off at Woodsport and asking them to go to work on it, its going to be expensive but else you may find the car off the road for literally years.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Just out of interest, once you have paid for the kit, the respray and all the costs associated with fitting the V8, would it not be financially viable to just buy a Ferrari? 355 is about 30k iirc or a 348 for closer to 20k?

I know you shouldn't apply logic to this kind of thing, but must be worth consideration :?:
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

ive spent 12 grand all in on it as i fitted all the kit and done all of the work other than paint. the insurance for the standard mr2 was £2200, its now £1500 (im now 20) insured as a kitcar so its probably not going to go up that much by fitting a audi lump. plus its the insurance cost of a real one aswell as maintaining it. i know of someone who just payed 7k for a standard service on a real one!! its just a project to keep me busy but if id have thought i would have wanted to swap lumps id have definately put it in before the conversion.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Good point actually, I completely overlooked running costs. #-o
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

Shmed wrote:That would be one serious project :shock:

You got a workshop or deep pockets?

If it were me, I'd probably have considered the engine berfore fitting the kit, especially if you are planning on extending the engine bay into the boot.

Speak to someone like Patrick at Rogue (or any of the other affiliated or even non affiliated companies) as they have a lot of experience of crazy projects like this :D

:lol: neither im a student lmao, want a garage sooo bad though!!
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Might as well put those student loans to good use, the best interest rate you'll get for a bit :lol:

Wish I'd put mine towards something other than beer and fags :roll:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Definately 100% speak to Paul at Woodsport. There is a thread in the MK1 section detailing his work of fitting an Audi 4.2 V8 and it's 6 speed box into a Mk1 MR2.

I wish I had the kind of money you have when I was your age. Hell, I wish I had it now :shock:

Good effort on the kit from that picture by the way. I've never been a lover of these as they never look right but for once, that actually looks as close as you'll get. Even the wheels seem to fit the wheel arches properly.
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

lmao aint started yet but going to go this year, so them loans are gonna pay for sum goodies your right!! ive still got lots to do to it like interior has to be retrimmed (money set aside, in the 12k budget) and my carpc needs fitting aswell as sound system. after that....im sure il find something else that needs a little tlc :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Fitting a V8 should make a sound system completely pointless my friend!!
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

matt_mr2t wrote:Definately 100% speak to Paul at Woodsport. There is a thread in the MK1 section detailing his work of fitting an Audi 4.2 V8 and it's 6 speed box into a Mk1 MR2.

I wish I had the kind of money you have when I was your age. Hell, I wish I had it now :shock:

Good effort on the kit from that picture by the way. I've never been a lover of these as they never look right but for once, that actually looks as close as you'll get. Even the wheels seem to fit the wheel arches properly.

thanks mate it means alot if i even get a thumbs up from someone thats not into them. i agree theyr not to everyones taste, but it does it for me :) btw its always called a kitcar when someone asks!
lewis88

Post by lewis88 »

matt_mr2t wrote:Fitting a V8 should make a sound system completely pointless my friend!!

what a sound track though!!! it will have to be a little louder then!!! i will defo give rogue and woodsport a bell tomorrow to see what sort of price im looking at. thanks all. much appreciated. 8)
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

I think that there is a rather negative stigma attached to Ferrari replica kitcars but you stick a V8 in there and that will change. :thumleft:

Defo speak to Paul at Woodsport if you are serious about it.

Lewis.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

oooh yeah, bout time someone stuck an engine worthy of the ferrari replica in there. Go for it 8)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

One thing I have always hated about the Ferarri replica's is the inline 4 cylinder engines in them. No matter how much power you can get from a tubby and how fast you can make them go, they will never sound like a nice V8

Just the parts for a conversion like this will set you back a couple of grand at least. The work involved will be pretty big. A V8 is going to be basically 2 of your engines bolted together, you only need to see how much space thereisnt in a mk2 engine bay.

It'll be good to see some one have some balls though and do this.
I would never have bothered putting a Camry engine in an MR2, some people swear by it but a V6 isnt that impressive.

An Audi V8 - now that would be awesome :thumleft:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Lewis, you in Nantyglo? I spotted a red rep there. I'm in ebbw vale! Love the colour!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

very, very expensive, to take on a project like that you would either have to have very deep pockets or be very knowledgeable and have loads of spare time :-k

good luck anyway mate :thumleft:
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

The V8 won't fit in the same way that the original engine does. It will need to be fitted longitudinally using the Audi 2.5 tdi gearbox (transaxle), there will still be driveshaft mods needed but poss. only shortening on one side. I think the F355 actually has this layout??

Someone has already done this in the states, but it does need the firewall cutting out - not sure about the boot but possibly also. IIRC the wiring was/is quite a big hurdle on Paul's Mk1 conversion, but he's already figured out the gearshift adaptors, cv joints etc.:thumleft:

Would be a nice match for the kit but you'd need to figure out some Ferrari-style dressup for the engine as the Audi lumps aren't much to look at.

HTH

Return to “Modifications”