How complicated to replace front drop-links?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Swiss Toni

How complicated to replace front drop-links?

Post by Swiss Toni »

I've got a new pair of front drop links and was wondering if I should replace them myself or take them to the local garage to get the job done when the car is serviced?

I am a mechanical ludite, but have a set of spanners.... :?

How long should it take and what are the pitfalls? :|

Cheers
Jim-SR

Re: How complicated to replace front drop-links?

Post by Jim-SR »

if you cant get stock drop link undone (which is a VERY common problem) then it can get tricky.

use a ring spanner on the nuts, then get an allen key into the allen socket. position it so that the allen key is resting against the strut body somewhere so that as youre undoing the nut it cant move, then hit the spanner with a hammer to impact it loose. thats the easiest way to get them undone and works well for me. youll want to spray PLENTY of penetrating oil on them before hand. if you round the allen socket off youll end up needing an angle grinder on there.
coverco

Re: How complicated to replace front drop-links?

Post by coverco »

As you have new droplinks and are throwing the old ones away I would just grind them off. I did mine recently and managed to get the bottom nuts undone but the top ones were solid, 2 minutes with the grinder and it was off :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”