Poly bush question

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ashley

Poly bush question

Post by ashley »

I'm in the process of fitting poly bushes, I have removed the old bushes already. When cleaning the suspension to fit the new bushes I've noted that the inside of a couple of the fittings are quite badly pitted from rust:

My understanding is that poly bushes work by being able to rotate. Is it enough that the centre metal sleeves can rotate in the bushes, or does the bush itself need to be able to rotate as well? I'm wondering whther this pitting will be a problem... :?:
JohnnyC

Re: Poly bush question

Post by JohnnyC »

Not sure what brand of poly bushes you have, but for mine the metal sleeve is supposed to be removed (in fact there'd be next to no chance of the bushes fitting with them in).

Also, I sanded any rust around mine, helped in the fitting of the bushes :)

*edit, just realised you probably mean the metal bits you get with the new bushes (thought you'd meant the existing metal sleeves that are on the front strut rods). Well, I'm not sure but I assume that the bush both rotates around the sleeve as well as within the bars. But as I said above, just fitting them with that rust will be extremely difficult.
Poohbear

Post by Poohbear »

The outer of the bush is not supposed to rotate freely inside the arm but the inner sleeve that goes in the poly bush is supposed to turn in the bush so make sure you apply plenty of the special lubricant supplied with the kit.

The pitting you are seeing is not a major problem so don't worry about it.

Bob
I'm Going To Die Young...But When I'm Very Very Old!
ashley

Post by ashley »

Nice one- cheers :thumleft:

Return to “Mechanical”