Bumper Bar removed

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MarcsMR2

Bumper Bar removed

Post by MarcsMR2 »

After a few days and a lot of swearing my bumper bar (or the thin bit of rust that was left) has been removed.

Due to the amount of rust that was there a few bolts and bars are no longer in the condition they used to be so....

Does anyone know if Toyota still do (or anyone else)...

The small bars that attache the wings to the bumper? -
The strip inside the bumper that attaches to the slam panel? -

And the best way to drill out the remaining nuts?
coverco

Re: Bumper Bar removed

Post by coverco »

The parts you need are still available from Toyota, they are shown in the following drawing (this is from the US EPC)

http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_catal ... bumper.GIF

It might be a good idea to be sat down before they tell you the price :shock:

You will need some good drills (I think you need 5.2mm but I use 5mm) and a 6mm tap to drill out the bolts :thumleft:
Paff

Post by Paff »

The toyota prices for those parts are rediculous for what they are.

I have templates for all the bars (excluding the slam panel one, sides and lower spoiler only)as had to make some for a few of our cars and if my welding guy gets some time might be able to sort some more out.

They are not exactly the same as the toyota ones but they have done well for us so far.
Mild steel plate with bolts welded on as the studs and depending on if I have anything to go in for powdercoating, could be done at the same time or hammerited\por15'd

I'll be making some for my own car soon so if you struggle getting them let me know and I'll work something out for you as well.
coverco

Post by coverco »

I must admit I made my own when I did my front end, not everyone has the skills or equipment though to do it :(
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

I think I just bought mine from Mr t they were a tenner each or something. Wasn't a huge amount and saved grief!!
MarcsMR2

Post by MarcsMR2 »

Will check out my local Mr T and see how much they are gonna try and rip me off for :(
murf

Post by murf »

I priced up the retaining strips when i did mine, came to over £110!!
Made some from perspex strips and countersunk stainless steel bolts :D
MartG

Post by MartG »

I didn't bother replacing the metal strips - just used bolts with washers, and butterfly nuts so I didn't have to get a spanner in there to tighten them
System-G

Post by System-G »

MartG wrote:I didn't bother replacing the metal strips - just used bolts with washers, and butterfly nuts so I didn't have to get a spanner in there to tighten them

Likewise with the washers. Except I used regular nuts and a nut spinner :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”