Someone point out on a photo...

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dervbas

Someone point out on a photo...

Post by dervbas »

...where this notorious L-shaped 90 degree bracket that holds the speedo cable in place going into the transaxle is?

All I need is a photo with a red circle showing me the cable going into the gearbox so I can inspect mine.

I don't know whether I'm meant to be looking under or above the transaxle!
dervbas

Re: Someone point out on a photo...

Post by dervbas »

I've took apart the speedo assembly, and I think I've found the problem. I can turn the speedo cable when I take it out of the 90 degree bend/elbow joint and the speedo needle on my clocks moves so its definately NOT the cable!

The problem seems to be apparent comparing my part A with part A in the repair guide, linked here.

Here is what I believe mine should look like (focus on part A):

and this is my part A (without the white 'platic' cog!):

Has it been lost in the gearbox somewhere? The red-circled piece has fine teeth/cog grooves in it though; should a white cog be slid over the top of this?

These are my parts B, D and E:

These all seem to be working properly; twisting the needle on one side of the elbow turns the other side appropriately - I'm sure its the missing white cog thats my problem?!

Where can I buy a new part A?
Frustrated Pilot

Post by Frustrated Pilot »

Toyota?

or call the affilliates to see if they have something ;)
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

looks like the cog has broken happend on mine and yers its in the gearbx somewhere so you may want to change the gb oil, you can get most of the parts individually from toyota for the speedo drive ill see if i can find the part numbers
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

http://www.stephenmason.com/cars/mr2speedo.html looks like youve used thsi guide already as you have one of the diagram pictures from it.
these are the diff part nos as on that site.
a.33403-19406 Gear sub-assembly, speedometer $29.67
b.83798-17010 Key, speedometer adaptor $9.95
c.33404-17010 Sleeve sub-assembly
d.83770-17020 Adaptor assembly, speedometer $94.17
e.83798-20020 Key, speedometer adaptor
f.88261-20070 Sensor, speed cruise $121.92

for diagnosis
time to see what's broken. Some of the most common failure modes are the little ears on "B" shearing off, a crack in the key end of part "A," or, as in my case, key "E" simply shearing in half. That's right, all this labor just to replace a 50 cent part. A picture of my sheared "E" key appears below. For want of a nail.... Anyway, I had bought parts "A" & "B" in advance from the dealer, and much to my chagrin, I had to wait a few days for a new "E". It looked like the sheared pin had somewhat mangled the faces of "D" and "F", so I ordered replacements for those parts as well. I would tend to err on the side of caution, and essentially replace the whole assembly. Parts "D" and "F" are kind of pricey, though, so if your so inclined you can just replace "A" "B" and "E", the most common failure points. "A" will come with a new G-clip and O-ring, be sure to use them. One annoying aspect of this job is that you can't tell which parts you need until you have it all taken apart...at which point your car is undrivable due to the missing rear motor mount. You can wait to get everything apart and only order the parts you need, but you may be in for a wait. Alternately, you could order everything and test out your dealer's return policy on 10+ year-old parts. Good luck. Or you can just replace everything and chalk it up to preventive maintenance. I went with the later option.

hope it helps abit, to have the speedo change over only cost me like 25 quid and I picked up the full replacment speedo drive for another 15 (used) :thumleft:
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

Thanks for that andy...

Can I just fit this and then buy Rev2 dial clusters and not use the speedo cable at all?

eBay item number 130293667912

Or is there something else I'd need?
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

Im guessing you have a rev1 turbo as you have the mechanical speedo drive so no you cant just use the electronic clusters without doing some other modifications, I think there would be a fair bit of work involved in that compared to just replacing with a std rev1 speedo drive replacment.
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

Toyota have just quoted me £19.00 plus VAT. They will have to order it in.

(They questioned where I got the part no. from as well the cheeky swines: 33403-19406 :evil: )
dervbas

Post by dervbas »

Fitted Part A and now speedo is working fine! Thanks for the advice ppl gave me.

TOPIC/ISSUE RESOLVED

Return to “Mechanical”