How to make a mk3 faster?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeymax

Re: How to make a mk3 faster?

Post by monkeymax »

There's enough non-runners starting to appear here and there (some around or under the £1k mark!) making it a more viable option though.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Heck, if you see a black mk3 for just over 1k, let me know as I'd get it straight away
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

ekona wrote:Trouble is that by the time you've bought a mk3 and the paid for the 2ZZ swap, you can afford an S2K that's easily as quick in stock form and better equipped. You'd have to really want a mid-engined layout to do that.

I did test drive a S2K - at the time, they were more money than a roadster.

Excellent brakes, OK steering ( not much feedback ?) engine not that torquey but the two Vtec steps in power good fun.

Only problem is that visiting the vtec band in 2 or 3rd you're at speeds that would potentially loose a licence.

I even looked a Supercharging a S2K but that brings surprisingly little extra torque and power.

My Choice was MR2 Roadster + Turbo : Lots of torque and engine flexibility, and S2k pace
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

Agree with you Ben, The S2K whilst I love them felt to lardy. At the time I had a 240 bhp turbo'd mk3 and it felt better both in handling and response.

Whilst the cost of the conversion equates to the same as say an s2k, insurance running costs are totally different. My turbo mk3 was much quicker than s2ks out on track too.

Bit of a lard ar$e but the 350z was quite tempting but I feel like they are dating very quickly.

I have a 2zz roadster now and it gives me more than enough power to have fun and be sensible without too much to worry. Insurance is cheap, along with parts, there is not much to go wrong with a mk3 at the end of the day.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

EPIC NECROPOSTING BATMAN
ilogik

Post by ilogik »

Joys of someone directing you to an old link :oops:

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”