[Mk2] [Turbo] Bleeding clutch!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

alan.i

[Mk2] [Turbo] Bleeding clutch!!

Post by alan.i »

After completing a Rev2 to Rev4 tubo conversion i am having problems bleeding the clutch.
It took ages to build up any peddle pressure, but as soon as you start the engine the peddle will not return on its own .
The rev4 engine came with the gearbox which leads me to suspect the slave cylinder, mainly because the master cylinder has not been changed and is original to the car and was working before the conversion.
Is this the right thinking, or am i way off the mark?

Is there a way that i can diagnose the problem, without having to buy new parts.

Cheers Alan
Tasty

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Bleeding clutch!!

Post by Tasty »

H ave a look at the two pipes as they enter the slave cylinder , you can see them from the engine bay and they can cause no end of trouble ](*,) <been there> engine movement under hard acceleration causes the bell piece that enters the slave to rupture , if thats your problem mate, there is a solution . :)
513BHP at the hubs
alan.i

Post by alan.i »

Thanks for the reply, but as yet all attempts to bleed the system have failed.
Whilst sitting scratching my head i turned to Youtube and saw an idea i intend on trying out but would like to hear from others if this would work on the Mr2?

As air generally likes to travel upwards, the idea is to fill a pressurised oil can with clutch fluid and attached this to the bleed nipple via a piece of tubing.
Drain some of the clutch fluid from the master cylinder reservoir,but not all to prevent air entering the system.
If the tubing on the can, could be filled to the end with clutch fluid and attached to the slave cylinder bleed nipple.
Once the bleed nipple was cracked open then i will pump through the fluid until all the bubbles disappeared in the master cylinder reservoir.
Then tighten up slave nipple.

What do you think?
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

You need to get rid of the air in the master cylinder first, thats the issue. Just loosen the pipe off it and bleed it, then you should be ok.

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

the way the slave cylnder works and the postiion of the fluid intake means from dry you will need to fully push in the puishrod then blead it ;)

also bleed air at the check valve on the bulkhead next to master.

that wil;l get u on the way!!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ok bleeding MR2 clutches is a pain in the ass what you have to do is -

- Get your bit of pipe etc ready on the bleed nipple
- Get a friend or 2
- You or your friend gets under the car
- Other gets in drivers seat
- Optional friend watches the clutch fluid in the master cylinder
- Open bleed valve on Slave
- Push the clutch pedal down slowly and HOLD IT DOWN (VERY important to hold it down here!!)
- Close the bleed nipple
- NOW let go of the Clutch pedal slowly
- Open bleed valve
- Again push clutch pedal down and HOLD it down
- Close bleed nipple
- Release clutch
- Check the clutch fluid level in the Master Cylinder again VERY important, dont want this running out and pulling air into the system or you will need to get that out
- Open bleed nipple
- Push clutch down
- Close bleed nipple
- release clutch
- etc
- etc
- etc Untill no air bubbles are comming out

Just remember the sequence, Open nipple, push and Hold pedal down, Close nipple, Release pedal

Have fun :thumleft: :thumleft:
BLZ-8027

Post by BLZ-8027 »

If yours is anything like mine it will be a pig ,took three weekends of trying before i got a peddle ,changed everything as well but no difference
and also tried a easy bleed kit i had

My peddle just went to the floor with a thud, and wouldn't come back on its own
What i did was reverse bleed the clutch ,
First open the bleed nipple and pump the clutch to nearly empty the resevoir ,

Then get a large syringe with a length of clear tube on ,fill the syringe with fluid and attach to the bleed nipple ,open the nipple and squeeze the syringe to back fill the resevoir ,tighten nipple when syringe is empty

Then use the syringe to bleed the clutch ,tightening the nipple whilst the syringe is being pulled ,(instead of using the peddle ,one man job now)
you will see all the air coming down the tube ,continue until no air comes through

Hope this makes sense? it does to me
It might not be correct but its the only way i could get a clutch
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

I had a big problem doing mine also.

But i believe there is some adjustment in the pedal assembly itself. Me and my mechanic tried for hours to bleed mine with pressurised sytems going in through the bleed nipple to no avail. He then adjusted the pedal and that was it job done!

Have a look in the footwell and all should be apparrent!

Bri
96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
bri0905

Post by bri0905 »

96 Rev 3 Turbo, Done!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

if you adjust the pedal make sure you dotn adjust it too much, you still want a little free play from it or it will be like your clutch is slightly pressed meaning it will wear out faster / slip :thumleft:

Oh you can also reverse fill the clutch by attaching a pipe from your rear brake calliper bleed nipple to your clutch slave nipple, open them both up and pump the brake pedal :D BUT make sure you keep topping your brake fluid up :thumleft:
alan.i

Post by alan.i »

Well, it would appear that the master cylinder is kapput!!
The system was pressure bled and reversed filled but still no joy
With funds running really low after my engine conversion i have ordered a second hand refirbished unit from TCB parts, who offer a 3 month warranty on the part.
Not a long term solution i know but if it gets me back on the road i will be happy.
Toyota where asking around the £90 mark , where as, this is costing £25. Bargain.
TCB appear to have a good supply of various parts , so this link may be useful to others.
Will post up again to say how this ball ache has turned out.

LINK http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

TCB are good especially for wheel bearings!! :D Ordered one the other day and it arrived the next day :D
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Bleeding the clutch manually can be a real PITA - I had a new slave fitted a while ago and the mechanic and I tried doing it manually for ages with no success. Used this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... c1ffd5d7cf

and fluid was through within a minute and was then fully bled within 5 mins :thumleft:

If you've got a serious amount of air in the system, bleeding it manually is just too much hassle as the air compresses each time you pump and can just sit there hardly moving down the pipe.
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

mate try my way, there is a reason behind it and unless you look in to the system properly you will not know why!!
alan.i

Post by alan.i »

Well, the problem is now sorted .
fitted a second hand master cylinder from TCB.

Nice to be driving her again.

Return to “Mechanical”