Exhaust Bungs

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jim-mapps

Exhaust Bungs

Post by jim-mapps »

Following on from the noisy exhaust thread... My exhaust is very loud (came with the car) and I feel guilty everytime I fire it up on a morning :oops: .

Do bungs quieten it down? do they affect performance?
marcnoonan

Re: Exhaust Bungs

Post by marcnoonan »

I'd like to know too,

Got a straight through quad system on mine and duck down while driving through town. However there's lots of open roads around me and I love the grumble when I know its not going to bother anyone, although it does anounce it's presence to any police within a mile or so.

Is there an on/off option as well as the bung?????

Cheers

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
Nails

Post by Nails »

On my lasses old N/A the bung quietened it down with minimal loss to performance, it was a high revving honda B16a and it only seemed to loose a little at over 7500rpm.

on my tubby the bung makes it less bassy so it doesnt sound as loud but it still is if you know what I mean, bass travels much further and through walls etc(like into your neighbours bedrooms when you are starting at 6am in the morning lol), but mine really seems to affect my performance, gets less boost, longer to come onto boost and just generally dulls it down. Its ok for those mornings when youre leaving early and dont want to be a willy but when youre coming home later on you can bet your last quid that you'll want to put your foot down for whatever reason and will wish you didnt have the bung in
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Something like this is a good idea

http://www.showoffimports.nl/home.php?cat=563

and there really good prices too :thumleft:

semi closed and fairly quiet at start and when the cars warm and your away from your home push it back in for the full noise
steve b

Post by steve b »

My old turbo had an apexi Hayabusa pipe, it was 108dB with out bung, 98db with bung.

Bung = 3.75" pipe became a 1.5" pipe it destroyed performance.

My solution was Hayward & Scott :) nice 96dB pipe that flowed just as well as the Apexi without bung :)
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

The bung on my Nur makes a huge difference. Without it on cold start the tarmac vibrates under foot but with it in it's pretty civilised.
flackie666

Post by flackie666 »

as tiny showed i have just bought one of these hasnt arived yet hopefully it will work
Not So Fast But Just As Furious =]
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

Tiny wrote:Something like this is a good idea

http://www.showoffimports.nl/home.php?cat=563

and there really good prices too :thumleft:

semi closed and fairly quiet at start and when the cars warm and your away from your home push it back in for the full noise

That's the baby Ben,

Perfect, great find mate, was looking to get the backbox opened up and baffles fitted but this looks ideal. Quiet in the village, noisy on the road and instantly quiter when the bobbies come.

Flackie, you gotta let us know how you get on :thumleft: :thumleft:

Cheers

Marc
Everyone looks at me when I drive down the road now....... wish I could read minds.
phipck

Post by phipck »

apexi make a simular product, was about 50 notes the last time i looked.

some discussin about it here
http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topi ... cer%20help
marcnoonan

Post by marcnoonan »

£105 from Nengen is the cheapest I can see :cry: :cry: :cry:

Marc
flackie666

Post by flackie666 »

a site called funky power was 100 i think but im waiting for stock
Not So Fast But Just As Furious =]

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”