On going electrical Woes (Rev1 N/A)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jim-mapps

On going electrical Woes (Rev1 N/A)

Post by jim-mapps »

Noon everyone (is that the phrase for 12:00???)

I've had trouble with my motor draining it's battery overnight... I've tried the multimeter and pulling fuses technique of trying to find a fault but first it's only draining at 50 micro amps which just doesn't seemto be enough to kill a good battery and second none of the fuses in ny of the 3 fuse boxes make any difference to the current the car is drawing.

So, got my battery tested, must be the battery I thought, sure enough, the test saidit was bad and needed replacing which I duly did. £55 fora posh silver alloy battery with 4 year warranty.

Seemed fine until I left it stood for 3 days with only one very short journey each day, then on day 3, dead. Jump started and drove it a good 20 miles to charge the beggar up, 3 days later dead outside work and had to push start the fecker.

So, I suppose my question is, where do I look next? What'sthe next best way to try and find the offending bit of kit???

It's not the boot light by the way.
meltie

Re: On going electrical Woes (Rev1 N/A)

Post by meltie »

Only 50 uA? That's probably just your clock! I'd bet your alternator's just shagged and not producing enough charge...
jim-mapps

Re: On going electrical Woes (Rev1 N/A)

Post by jim-mapps »

Aye 50uA. That's what the multimeter says anyway (Connected between the negative post on the battery and the negative lead that clamps onto the battery). I thought that's next to nothing so must be my battery, off I went for a new one but now it just lasts longer before dying.

I'm positive it's charging enough, the meter on the dash reads at around 16 something like that??? Also, when we've had to push start it, it only takes a very short drive/couple of minutes ticking over before it's got enough charge in it for a start.

I am wondering if the alternator could be drawing charge back when it's switched off, don't know how to test it though. :-k

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”