Yeah yeah I know, another mpg thread

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rowey200

Yeah yeah I know, another mpg thread

Post by rowey200 »

I just wanted to find out if my mpg is about right, or if I have a problem with my car?

I must admit, I was hoping for better mpg, but not had the car for long so just after the general consensus.......

The car is a rev 4 Mark 2, standard, but I found out recently that is does have a decat (would this make a difference to mpg?).

The car achieved 23mpg around town with a very light foot, and 34mpg (which is more like it) on a motorway run with a very light foot.

Seems a bit heavy on fuel for an N/A, what do others achieve?
dawn

mpg n/a

Post by dawn »

Hi sounds a little heavy to me.my n/a does around 32ish round town with a light foot but its still got the cat fitted and is on a blueflame,so its not that bad.
JJ

Re: Yeah yeah I know, another mpg thread

Post by JJ »

If in doubt, change the 02 sensor out and the ignition componenets !! That should give you a starting basis to compare. If the above is deteriorated, impact the fuel economy.

Incidently, I wish I could get anything near that !! :mrgreen:
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

I think i can get 225 Miles to a full tank and mine is an N/A......dont know if thats bad or not ?? :-k
jim-mapps

Post by jim-mapps »

Rev 1 N/A here and I seem to get really good economy. never done the mpg test but I often put about 120 - 140 miles on it over a weekend for roundabout a tenner, £15 if I batter it. At least 80 of those miles are motorway cruising so that's a pretty fair mix. It just seems to run on fresh air once it's on the motorway!!!
Deegee99

Post by Deegee99 »

Unfortunately I have far too many parameters in driving my MR2 that its really hard to get an average mpg figure. In town in sport mode (yes its an auto :thumleft: ), overdrive off and booting it, its very bad, I can almost see the fuel guage dropping, 15 at best. Town, economy relaxed mode (thats what I call it), overdrive on, pootling about, much better I guess about the early 20's. Bearing in mind that my speedo reads in MPH but the odometer/mileage meter reads in KPH, import :thumleft: . Motorway driving in 'relaxed' mode gives early to mid 30's. Spirited motorway driving, mid 20's.
MID LIFE CRISIS

Post by MID LIFE CRISIS »

I got 42 mpg at a steady 70mph on a run up the M1 last year. The thread is on here somewhere, someone got 47 mpg :shock: :shock:
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

MID LIFE CRISIS wrote:I got 42 mpg at a steady 70mph on a run up the M1 last year. The thread is on here somewhere, someone got 47 mpg :shock: :shock:

That would've been me :thumleft:
It was almost 500miles driven at an almost constant 60mph 8-[

I'm currently getting around 29mpg (normal day to day driving) #-o

Think JJ is right though about the ignition components as your mpg doesn't seem that bad, just a little.

One thing I'd like to know is, the lambda sensor - do they go gradually? or is it either completely fine or completely broke?
rowey200

Post by rowey200 »

JohnnyC wrote:
MID LIFE CRISIS wrote:I got 42 mpg at a steady 70mph on a run up the M1 last year. The thread is on here somewhere, someone got 47 mpg :shock: :shock:

That would've been me :thumleft:
It was almost 500miles driven at an almost constant 60mph 8-[

I'm currently getting around 29mpg (normal day to day driving) #-o

Think JJ is right though about the ignition components as your mpg doesn't seem that bad, just a little.

One thing I'd like to know is, the lambda sensor - do they go gradually? or is it either completely fine or completely broke?

I'd like to know this as well
JJ

Post by JJ »

Like widebands, I guess they can go out of calibration and send false readings back to the ecu.. which in turn will probably increase the mpg. Widebands lifespans are debateable.. I've not seen one last longer than 2 years...

I've seen a few instances.. a change in the 02 sensor has resulted in an increased mpg.....the error codes are only apparent on the heater element of the lambda ( apart from Rev 1/2 turbos - no heater )

Again.. taking into consideration the weather as well.. the EFi maps will stay on the warm up enrichment a little longer than in the summer = increased fuel usage. With the 3S block being of a cast iron construction, it does take considerably more time than full aluminium / alloy construction engine designs.....Factors.. like flat tyres / brakes binding etc... need to all be considered.

I had a friend with a Rev 3 turbo... poor on the petrol ... and these are renowned for being brilliant when you think of the performance they produce ( often Circa 300 miles to a tank ) .. turned out that one of the front calipers and the rear calipers was binding on slightly... might as well have been towing a caravan around with him.

For the price of a new lambda sensor.. it'll pay for itself in a few month / weeks if you're a daily driver.... with the increased milage you'll reward yourself with. Nothing worse that tootling about and getting the same rubbish fuel consumption as if you'd been kicking it all over.
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

Did 321 miles on a tank coming back from France in my Rev 2 Tubbie after mapping..
Why thank you - I grew it myself you know
JJ

Post by JJ »

Gersen wrote:Did 321 miles on a tank coming back from France in my Rev 2 Tubbie after mapping..

I've managed 360 on a stock rev 3 setup ! :-$
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

JJ wrote:
Gersen wrote:Did 321 miles on a tank coming back from France in my Rev 2 Tubbie after mapping..

I've managed 360 on a stock rev 3 setup ! :-$

Mine isn't quite standard on the power front :P

But yeah the standard Rev3+ ECU is pretty damn economical - stupid damn AFM - my scheme is to go MAP for response now - should help the economy too.
Why thank you - I grew it myself you know
Extubby

Post by Extubby »

I managed to get 399 miles from the last tank, 90+% motorway with a feather weighted foot.
Apexi Induction, Gutted Cat, Departure Exhaust, Magnecor Leads, St205 cc, Blitz ebc.
Carbotech pads.
toyokid

MPG

Post by toyokid »

Hi

With a 92 non cat Celica ST182 I was able to average 35mpg with no mods and no motorway.

93 Rev 2 Celica ST185 bout 25mpg overall,
Apexi SAFC next month to lean things out.

Stephen

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”