[Mk2] [Generic] Trackday wheels - best for handling/grip?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wingers

[Mk2] [Generic] Trackday wheels - best for handling/grip?

Post by Wingers »

Despite already having 2 sets of wheels, I'm thinking of buying another set for some trackday tyres.
Currently I have a set of 8" wide 17s that I use on the road and another set of 16s (not sure of the widths off the top of my head but I think they're something like 7" front and 8" rear) that are sat around in the garage. I'm after a proper set of trackday tyres that really work well with the car though and I'm not sure that either of my existing wheel sets will do the job.

I'm guessing that a staggered setup would work best, something like 8" fronts and 9" rears with maybe 225/35/17 & 255/35/17 tyres (or are they too wide?) would be spot on but I'm not sure. Maybe 215s and 245s would be a bit more sensible?

What do others use?

I've got standard struts btw with some TRD springs so it sits marginally lower than stock.

Wingers
Andy-Runner

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Trackday wheels - best for handling/grip?

Post by Andy-Runner »

You want staggered 15's or 16's for trackdays mate - they always serve me well. :thumleft:

I think there's some pukka Weds sport examples in the for sale section :wink:

Andy
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

What's the difference in handling/feel between 15s, 16s and 17s?

Also, I've got rev4 brakes on there so will 15s even fit?

Cheers,

Wingers
Andy-Runner

Post by Andy-Runner »

17's Usually provide more mechanical grip - but less steering feedback and ultimately less time to recognise / catch and rectify a slide etc

15's provide the most feed back from the road and IMO are way easier to recognise and catch the rear coming round, 16's are in between (just with the added bonus of being more difficult to find/buy correct sized and reasonably priced track tires for :roll: )

Toyota designed and made the MR2 to run on 15's you have to ask your self why :-k CHECK the thread "Why do bigger wheels mean worse handling" started by jonb - very informative albeit quite long winded 8)

As far as i know Rev 4 brakes are the same size as Rev 3 onwards (Rev 4's came with 15" wheels as stock)

Only my 2p fella :thumleft:
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

I have glanced through that thread but will have to go through it in a bit more detail.

I'm thinking of going for a compromise with 16s and I think a 215/245 stagger is the likely option at the moment (it sounds like I need to check tyre availability first tho).

I haven't tried a search on this yet but I think that will be an 8inch rear and 7inch front.
If that's the case then I think my original wheels might just do the job!
I know they're meant to be pretty light as well so that would be an added bonus :pray:

Wingers

Return to “Modifications”