Rev 4 vs Rev 5

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Racer7

Rev 4 vs Rev 5

Post by Racer7 »

Simple really; I've been reading the differences between the two models recently.

Am I correct in saying the only difference is cosmetic?

So this is to say a rev 4 with lower mileage is probably a better investment than a rev 5 with higher mileage?

Although prices for the rev1/2/3 end of the market seems like a steal the turbo rev 4/5s seem really expensive at 6.5 - 8k. After all in context with other cars I could probably get an rx8/s200/at a pinch of 10k a 350z.

I really want to import but the prices just don't seem to be dropping for these revs despite the contrary for others.

Looks like I may have to source a UK registed turbo...
JohnnyC

Re: Rev 4 vs Rev 5

Post by JohnnyC »

Racer7 wrote:Am I correct in saying the only difference is cosmetic?

Yes.
The exception is the JDM NA, rev4 to rev5 got a different engine.
ryan

Post by ryan »

you only need to spend 2.5-3k for a rev 4 turbo at the mo, the market is on its ar$e, the rev 5 seems poor value when all your paying extra for is a different steering wheel, instrument cluster and red stitching, complete with naff wheels and ironing board spoiler. the rev 4 is by far to one to go for at 3k less on average.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

rev 4 turbo for 2.5K? exaggerating just a bit dont you think?
starmist

Post by starmist »

All the rev 4's i've seen are around £5k with 5's being £6+.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Still seems very over prices to me. We just bought a 53 plate HiPower (231hp) RX8 with 46k on the clock and all the bells & whistles (except sunroof) for £5k. So much btter than any SW20 I've owned or driven.

MR2 sellers (& buyers) really need to get to grips with pricing in the current financial climates and check out what else is available for the same mohoney :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
ryan

Post by ryan »

dansREV2turbo wrote:rev 4 turbo for 2.5K? exaggerating just a bit dont you think?

So i take it you havent looked on E bay or Pistonheads at the moment? There was a very nice 97 turbo in perlescent blue that just didnt shift until it went sub 3k, take a look around and see for yourself, the only rev 4 I know at 5k is ianskimans and doesnt show any signs of selling from the advert.....
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

at the end of the day every car is different as is every buyer.. A rev4 may be worth 3k to someone and £4k to someone else...

A friend of mine in the trade only last week sold a fairly stock rev4 tintop turbo in white for £3750 and the buyer looked at 3 more (1 more expensive and 2 more less expensive)...

I saw a good stock rev5 in red t-bar do the equivalent of £5.5k in Japan.. Now to bring that car here and register will cost another £1500 on top easy...

With the £ / $ the way they are cars are now even more expensive to buy from Japan than what they were a year ago..

As for getting more for your money.. that goes for anything.. I have bought Evo8's for less money than i have sold rev-5 Turbo's for in the past... Recently sold a jap imported AE86 for just under £5k...!! and that was a 1985 B-reg...

It all boils down to supply / demand.. Simple.. Although you can pick and choose rev3's and 4's on Ebay with rev5 there will be less to choose from hence the price...

Rash.
dansREV2turbo

Post by dansREV2turbo »

ryan wrote:
dansREV2turbo wrote:rev 4 turbo for 2.5K? exaggerating just a bit dont you think?

So i take it you havent looked on E bay or Pistonheads at the moment? There was a very nice 97 turbo in perlescent blue that just didnt shift until it went sub 3k, take a look around and see for yourself, the only rev 4 I know at 5k is ianskimans and doesnt show any signs of selling from the advert.....

just looked, cheapest rev3 on ebay is £2995, cheapest rev4 is £4995...
ryan

Post by ryan »

dansREV2turbo wrote:
ryan wrote:

just looked, cheapest rev3 on ebay is £2995, cheapest rev4 is £4995...

you beat me to it, was about to correct myself on the Ebay/Pistonheads remark, but 2 weeks ago it was a different story, a mate of mine Tim picked a tin top rev 4 up for under 3k and somebody on here bought one just last week for under 3k....
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

starmist wrote:All the rev 4's i've seen are around £5k with 5's being £6+.

Pretty much what I have seen too.

I am being wearing of sub 3k Rev4s simply because of advice and comments learnt from the keen-eyed members on here. For example theres a post with a 'P' reg rev 4 turbo. Some speculation as to its rev but a noobie like me would never have spotted that.

A 53 RX8 for £5k! Shizer! Maybe I should look at those... argh - no! MR2 must...be...MR2...

Seems importing looks like a very bad way to go. I was looking at Japanese Used Car Autions and whilst they got some very shiny looking motors on there a quick currency conversion puts them way too expensive for me!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

JohnnyC wrote:

Yes.

One other thing - cos I can't tell from the pics...

Does a Rev 4 have passenger airbags?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Racer7 wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

Yes.

One other thing - cos I can't tell from the pics...

Does a Rev 4 have passenger airbags?

JDM Rev4+ got a passenger airbag.
UK cars never got them at all on any revision.
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

Rev4 got side impact beams too, IIRC only very late rev3 had them. Plus airbag steering wheel.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Goto10 wrote:Rev4 got side impact beams too, IIRC only very late rev3 had them.

Side impact beams were introduced late rev2 I believe :wink:
Think you're right about the drivers airbag though :)
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

My low mileage REV4 turbo has been on the market for a month or so at £4,500 and I have had lots of enquiries. Expecting a few viewings now that Xmas is out of the way.

I am selling at the worst possible time of year so have to accept that it may take a while to sell the car.

You can't really compare MR2 Turbo's with RX8's on price.

The reason RX8's are going so cheap is because they are uber thirsty, fall into the highest tax bracket and are common as muck. There are literally hundreds for sale out there.

With limited demand the only way for sellers to shift their cars it to drop their prices, hence the landslide on RX8 values, even on low mileage cars.

Conversely, unabused low mileage REV4 and REV5 MR2 Turbo's are very rare.

It is true however that MR2 values have plunged - my car would have sold all day long for £6k twelve months ago. Now with many people feeling the squeeze financially there are obviously less buyers in the market for weekend playthings...
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

James Junior wrote:

You can't really compare MR2 Turbo's with RX8's on price.

Thanks for the input. I guess with the above its just human nature. I'm not a big car nut. So I don't know the ins and outs between various cars. My two criteria - does it look good? does it go fast?

I'm totally cool with paying above the odds for a well mainted MR2 and agree that whilst theres seems no short supply of MR2s findinga crisp one (which is why I'm looking to import) is harder than it sounds.

If only the 350z wasn't so much out of my price range - I keep looking and thinking; 'maybe i could...'

Anyone got any feedback on 350z vs (not literally per se) mr2 ?
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

A good freind of mine has an imported 350Z they're ace cars my rev3 turbo would match it for performance, my mate always used to want to drive my MR2 though :lol:

Great engine in the 350, the V6 sounds awesome on a fujitsubo exhaust
handles well and has TORQUE! only downside is there's no turbo kick,

import 350's can be had for 10k now
Mr2'less
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

I have been looking at 350Z's but have decided not to go for one due to the thirst and high tax bracket.

I was offered a 52 plate import in silver with around 40k on the clock and service history for £7,500 by one desperate seller. 350Z values are plunging and there is no demand for the cars at present.

I looked at a 350Z at Westway Nissan in Manchester and they offered it to me at cost, showing me the paperwork for how much they had bought it for to prove it. They were desperate to move the car on as it had been sat on their forecourt for six months.

The cars themselves are a nice drive - lovely heavy steering and bags of torque as someone else mentioned. The acceleration wasn't as potent as i expected though and in terms of straight line power I wasn't overly excited. I hear they are great fun on the twisties though and have a very playful but safe back end that likes to kick out if provoked. Evo magazine seriously rate the 350Z which is about as high a praise as any performance car can get.

On the downside though the 350Z has a pretty low rent interior and the leather seats seemed a bit flimsy and old fashioned. Also the rear strut brace that runs through the boot makes the car very impractical for storage.

The MR2 Turbo is a more exciting car in my opinion, though the 350Z is still a very attractive proposition, if you are happy to pay out for the heavy running costs.

Have you driven an MR2 Turbo yet? If you are in the Manchester area I would be happy to take you for a blat in mine if you like.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

System-G wrote:Still seems very over prices to me. We just bought a 53 plate HiPower (231hp) RX8 with 46k on the clock and all the bells & whistles (except sunroof) for £5k. So much btter than any SW20 I've owned or driven.

MR2 sellers (& buyers) really need to get to grips with pricing in the current financial climates and check out what else is available for the same mohoney :thumleft:

Wow, I've just checked PH and there are loads of the buggers up for sale at around £5.5 - £6k.
I think that's a hell of a lot of car for the money if you can hack the shocking mpg (petrol and oil) and the ugly looks :wink:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”