[Mk2] [Turbo] £3000 to spend on safe power.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Big_mike162

[Mk2] [Turbo] £3000 to spend on safe power.

Post by Big_mike162 »

as the title says really ive got a tubby and 3k to throw at it for performance.

ive made a list of what i want but it has already come to well over 9k and i havent even started :oops:

so im looking for sencible sugestions from people in the know!

i know i can wind the boost out and have fun for all of ten minutes but what im really after is staying as safe as poss.....it might sound boring but i want it to last as i have plans to track it more than a few times this year.

cheers in advance

-Mike
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] £3000 to spend on safe power.

Post by Ryan S »

Big_mike162 wrote:as the title says really ive got a tubby and 3k to throw at it for performance.

ive made a list of what i want but it has already come to well over 9k and i havent even started :oops:

so im looking for sencible sugestions from people in the know!

i know i can wind the boost out and have fun for all of ten minutes but what im really after is staying as safe as poss.....it might sound boring but i want it to last as i have plans to track it more than a few times this year.

cheers in advance

-Mike

what rev is it???

starting point would be(i'm sure i'll be corrected in a min)this is the order i'm doing things, i have a rev2 tubby and with these mods should see about 260 at the flywheel.

Boost Gauge
Air Filter
Exhuast
De-cat
Fuel cut Defencer
Boost controller
Metal head gasket
Head bolts
Turn boost up to 14psi or 1 bar(however you measure boost, i use psi)
you should be ok to run this boost all the time with a metal head gasket

then(again this is the order i'm doing things) if it's a rev2 go for the rev3 conversion, bigger injectors, ecu, ditch the afm,

i'm sure you could do a rev3 conversion for under 3k!!!

let us know how you get on!!!!
:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Big_mike162

Post by Big_mike162 »

cheers, should have said though it is a rev 2 and i would be doing all the work myself.

so labour woudnt be a pricing factor, this alown should save me ££££'s

:thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Big_mike162 wrote:cheers, should have said though it is a rev 2 and i would be doing all the work myself.

so labour woudnt be a pricing factor, this alown should save me ££££'s

:thumleft:

the rev3 conversion is meant to be fairly simple(i'm told that the loom is the trickiest part but achievable in a day), i'm prob gonna do mine myself as well, all the stuff i have on that wee list is all stuff i've managed myself, most difficult thing would be the head gaskets.

everything else is a doddle, hopefully somebody with a bit more experience will be along to help shortly!! :thumleft:

oh, bit of advice about changing the intercooler, if you don't intend to keep the old one rip it to shreds to get it out, the amount of stuff you have to remove from the car is such a pain, the bigger ones fit in no problem!!!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

If you want to do a rev3 conversion contact berk technology and they can sort you out a custom harness to make it a bit easier.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

£3k is a lot of money just for performance mods. You could easily reach 300bhp with that if you wanted to. You could get induction kit, exhaust system with de-cat pipe, unichip?, bigger intercooler, EBC to raise boost slightly to about 1 or 1.1 bar, uprated brakes, steel head gasket. This would see you to about 270bhp-ish with better braking ablility and you'd probably still have a bit of change. Remember that straight line speed isn't everything and you may want to look at uprating or renewing the tyres and suspension components to improve handling/grip.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

for 3k i would do the following...

exhaust and downpipe...300
rev3 conversion.....300
ebc......150
headgasket....50
st205 chargecooler...250
airfilter...50
garret turbo kit, prob go for the gt2871r...1500
apexi ecu...450
clutch...200
mapping...300

presuming you do all the work yourself you should see a reliable 350 bhp for around £3500 as long as you don't go thrashing the car all the time, oh and spend £100 on a service :wink:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

i spent bout 8-10k on my old rev2 and made it to 301fly, lol....
but that was interier, body, suspension, engine and power....and overall coolness!

if your starting from nothing, ie bone stock, then the whole package is going to set you back ALOT more than 3k....
if you JUST want engine mod suggestions, then look at a hybrid turbo, or something larger like a td06, or gt series turbo....and run low boost. that should sort you out for the future when the mods allow you to raise the boost a bit more....

mrtee list is on the cheap side bar the turbo btw!

no decent headgasket werth getting is £50, lol....
cometic are 80-90...
then your looking at ARP head studs, 110
dowpipes are 130-160 alone! exhaust are 250+ and thats for a cheap one.

mrtee list also doesnt include the fact that if it all goes wrong, your looking at a 3-4k rebuild! which it very well might trying to run 350 on a rev2 engine......
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

faster faster faster.

YOu're all obsessed!

Suprised no one has said, uprated ARB's, or pillowball tension rods. Or polybush kit, suspension etc.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

I see your from your propfile your in Guildford, I would suggest having a chat with James at 3S/ Toyota GT in Hook, top chaps for modding your 2 :thumleft:

http://www.3sservicecentre.co.uk/
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Skywalker wrote:faster faster faster.

YOu're all obsessed!

Suprised no one has said, uprated ARB's, or pillowball tension rods. Or polybush kit, suspension etc.

Erm I did. Lol.

"Remember that straight line speed isn't everything and you may want to look at uprating or renewing the tyres and suspension components to improve handling/grip."
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

jimGTS wrote:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109287

Sorry to nit pick Jim but a Rev 3 gasket is as good as a cometic. \:D/

I bought one a while ago for £35 think it may have even been from "mrtee" and its been fine on my Rev 2.

No, before anybody says they need modifiying they dont, its a straight bolt on mod.
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

If you have £3k spare don’t do a rev3 conversion on your current car, sell up and buy a rev3 plus car (could get one for about £2.5k now) and use the money from yours to tune that as you will end up with just as much power on a newer more reliable car.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Lewis Jay wrote:
jimGTS wrote:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=109287

Sorry to nit pick Jim but a Rev 3 gasket is as good as a cometic. \:D/

I bought one a while ago for £35 think it may have even been from "mrtee" and its been fine on my Rev 2.

No, before anybody says they need modifiying they dont, its a straight bolt on mod.

Some say they need modding, some say they don't. I don't know who to believe. LOL. But well nit picked!! LOL
Can't go wrong with a cometic either.

But yeh, sell rev2 for 2k, buy a rev3 for 4k and spend 2k on the rev3 instead.
Ebc, ems, ic, bolt ons, 300-310hp.

Return to “Modifications”