[Mk2] [Turbo] st205 charge cooler help

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jdbecks

[Mk2] [Turbo] st205 charge cooler help

Post by jdbecks »

hey all,

I've completed my charge cooler conversion today, But I'm not really happy with the pump, When I take the charge cooler lid of I can not hear it whoosing inside the cooler, I can hear the pump, its only a slight noise,

If I squeeze the hoses at the rad the coolant inside the core geos up and down, and after a run the rad was cold, theres no leaks or anything,so when you guys run your charge cooler pump with the lid of, do you hear it swishing around?

heres how my pipes are connected,

top rad outlet to the CC pump, connection in the middle of the pump

throttle body side core outlet to the pump far outside connection,

I basicaly connected it as the st205 EPC shows, I wired the pump in Pink Live, and black as negative, I connected it by wiring it up to where the fan would connect to and disconnected the temp sensor so the pump runs 24/7
Munnsy

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] st205 charge cooler help

Post by Munnsy »

yeah when i take my cap off, the water floods the bay, im not running st205 pump though but you should definately see some movement there?? :-k
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jdbecks wrote:heres how my pipes are connected,

top rad outlet to the CC pump, connection in the middle of the pump

throttle body side core outlet to the pump far outside connection,

I basicaly connected it as the st205 EPC shows

What EPC were you following? :shock: The one in my build thread shows that the top outlet from the radiator connects to the turbo side of the core, the throttlebody side core outlet connects to the far outside connection (as you have done) and the outlet from the pump (middle of the pump) connects to the bottom rad plug. So it sounds like you've got your radiator hoses the wrong way round from the EPC. Not sure that would have that great an effect on flow with the Celica pump, however it will affect the cooling capability of your heat exchanger.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

I followed this :-k
turbomax

Post by turbomax »

if the water floods your engine bay you have a blocked return pipe. when the cap is removed you should see the coolent swirling around. i have also made a pipe on the mr2 to put a bit of presure in the system like a modern rad circut it works much better that way. you sure you have cleared all the air? and got it plumbed in right? regards max
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

mmm you have me thinking now, i thought it was down to the fact it was a good pump,
you can see the fluid circulating as it spills over the edge, bearing in mind this is when i have filled the c/c to the brim and let it bleed through the overflow on its own.
:-k so it should be just flowing gracefully around the core then???
Any chance of a vid clip?? sorry for the hijack ](*,) :thumleft:
dave
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

yeah a video would be good, because I cant really see much happen, I'm going to look double check the pipes at the front bumper are not being trapped, no its no hijack, its all good info for the same thing,

also my car has started to overfuel? I can hear the exhaust pop now #-o , Damn cars!
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

jdbecks wrote:Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://theshado.ws/images/imoc/st205cc/epc.jpg

I followed this :-k

See I read that as the top radiator outlet going to the core, and the bottom radiator outlet going to the pump...
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

If you follow the dashed lines it geos to the pipe then from the pipe the dashed line geos to the core, hahah

how deos your pump sound? is it loud, quiet or sound like its spinning fast?

mine is pretty quiet and sounds like a electric fan spinning around, I was expecting it to be louder??? and how fast deos it swirl in the core?
turbomax

Post by turbomax »

i have a st205 gt4 and an mr2 with the same c/c system apart from the pump on my mr2 is massive pumps far more then the mr2. with the cap off and pump running i can add water/anti freeze and see it dissaper and the air escape if this makes sense when its 100% full the water will be at the top and the small air bubbles will stop. this took ages on the mr2 becaus ei think i had a airlock/buble at top of the fiat rad. hence why i made a tee piece with feed pipe on the feed to the c/c this also held a amount of water so the c/c was allways full and any air would go to his hose as it was the highest point. dunno if this makes sense :-k
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

because I mounted my rad up side down, I'm going to make bleed hole in the rad and check the piping maybe some of my piping is being blocked
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

turbomax wrote:if the water floods your engine bay you have a blocked return pipe.

Not neccesarily. If you plumb the pumped coolant into the rearmost pipe on the CC it will unmercifully shoot out of the core (with the cap off).
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

which thinking about it it is, should it be the other pipe realistically then to stop this from happening???? and is it just a matter of swapping these round?? :thumleft:
(cheers for that didnt think about that lol) :mrgreen:
turbomax

Post by turbomax »

yes this is ture i just assumed every one would have the flow and return the correct way around :-# pump should suck from the tank and pump to rad then back to tank via fins.

i wonder if this is the problem then the first person on this thread has got as it will be a b1tch to prime that way.

i put my pump under the front bonnet in the end nice and low down so it was allways full after the trouble i had when it was close to the c/c and getting airlocked when it surged in the tank.

i have spent hours messing about with it. ](*,) before
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

I have mine as per the diagram which shows from the top outlet of the rad to the pump ( the middle inlet) and out from the pump to the CC,

whats the pump sound like thats not primed properly?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Dude, it really doesn't show that... here are the lines colour coded w/directional arrows (green is cold, red is hot)
At least, that's my understanding of it.
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

no you got your dashed lines mixed up ill show you
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

but put this aside even with the pipes in either set up I still have a poor flowing pump
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

See I would disagree that as it's an exploded 3d diagram, if you were to move the radiator over so that it met up with the pipes as they are laid out in the diagram, it would follow the flow that I've indicated, not the one you've indicated.

However as you've said, it wouldn't affect your flow rate, just your cooling efficiency (and even then it would be a small amount I think).
jdbecks

Post by jdbecks »

yeah thats right, at the moment If i can find the source to my flow rate, then find out what way the pipes are ment to go,

ive eliminated;

kinked pipes
its bleed,

it deos point down to the pump however it got me thinking now because i'm being paranoid, if the pump had an airlock in the pump what would the pump sound like?

but i disagree with it having an airlock because I am getting flow, just pretty weak, it sounds like the pump is running very slow, i am getting 12v to the pump;

Return to “Modifications”