1b fuel injectors on a 1a

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ziggy

1b fuel injectors on a 1a

Post by ziggy »

Is there anything to be gained, by fitting 1b injectors on a 1a?

I believe they are larger on the b. Would this mean ,more fuel=more go?

Or not worth the hassle,disadvantages
crazybrightman

Re: 1b fuel injectors on a 1a

Post by crazybrightman »

it would just overfuel or incorrectly fuel as not only are they larger but also a different impedance. one being arond 3-4 ohms and the other 12-13ohms a big differance. also the connectors are a differnet style so they wouldnt plug into the earlier wiring loom.
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

I'm going to be using my mk1b injectors on the mk1a engine I'm currently fitting to my 88 car, tho will be robbing everything off my 1b and using that looklm so am hoping for no problems.. Would be interesting to know if it would gain anything tho, tho I'm just keeping it all from my knackered engine so I don't have to hassle about with changing the loom etc..I'm lazy me..
They prob doesn't answer your q but of I notice a diff when it's all in I'll let ya know

Haven't seen you in ages ziggy, when's the next track day you'll be doing? :)

Guy
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

they are fine to use if you swap everything with them. why are you swapping ? had problems?
i dont believe you will get any gains by using them.
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

iirc the mk1a always had slightly more agressive fueling and usualy feel a little sharper to drive compared to the b so you may end up worse off.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Both my 1a track cars have run 1b injectors with no issues whatsoever over a 4-year period.
I used the connectors from the 1b loom and soldered them to the 1a loom. I also use the 1a ECU which as mentioned is mapped for more agressive fueling.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

IIRC, the AW11 injectors are 182cc.....?

The more aggressive fuelling comes from ECU mapping: even the fuel system pressures are the same?

I may be wrong, however...?

The later engines have bigger injectors, and run at slightly higher pressures.

The "more fuel, more power" is not quite correct..... :wink:

More fuel+ MORE AIR = more power...! :thumleft:

Putting more fuel into the same volume of air will only lose you power, or at best, not gain you any.
The exception to this is with forced induction engines, where the added fuel will help to suppress detonation......but won't give you much, if any, extra power.......

..........and with the price of fuel these days, you really wanna be running at stoich........
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

The 1a track car we had (well both of them) ran better (at least felt likt it was better) with the mod Garrick did, IMO.
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

I'll throw these spare 1b injectors i had in the bin then!

Smartarse son wanted to know if it would make his new toy go quicker.

Guy
Might try and get to anglesey in november - knackered s/c i brought is using up all my pennies at the moment!

Any chance you'll be there?
System-G

Post by System-G »

ziggy wrote:I'll throw these spare 1b injectors i had in the bin then!

Don't bin them. If you're going to chuck them, chuck them my way :wink:
ziggy

Post by ziggy »

G

Are you at Dony this saturday?
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

yup - we are :thumleft:
mosguido

Post by mosguido »

november eh? I'm pretty sure i'll be able to make it there, lots of holiday days to use up about then :D was awesome last trip to there, can probably convince a few of my friends to come too who've just got mk1s!

if my car was ready id be tempted by donny on sat but i dont think ill have it all sorted then with this current weather, got 2 days off now but think ill be moping inside due to rain ill bet..

if youre gonna be at anglesey in nov then ill most likely see ya there, look forward to it!

G
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Sorry to semi-hijack the thread, just wondered if anyone knows that should I happen upon a 'crossover' MK1 (MK1b but with MK1a engine/box) if there are any.. ANY other differences that would make an sc conversion different to a 'pure' MK1b?

I've done the conversion before on a mk1b and it was pretty easy, I'm wondering if there are any wiring loom or structural differences (i.e Tranny mounts for the C52 etc) compared to a non crossover mk1b? (not compared to an SC which I know about - the box I'd be using is a mk1b C52 box which is fine in a full mk1B for sc conversion).

Thanks
System-G

Post by System-G »

Some of the crossover cars had 1a engines and others had 1a heads with 1b blocks....

Conversion to SC wouldn't be a problem as you would be replacing the ECU and engine loom along with the engine anyway :thumleft:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

System-G wrote:Some of the crossover cars had 1a engines and others had 1a heads with 1b blocks....

Conversion to SC wouldn't be a problem as you would be replacing the ECU and engine loom along with the engine anyway :thumleft:

OK thanks a lot for the confirmation. :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”