[Mk2] [Turbo] CT20b Maximum boost / flow at 1.3 -1.5 bar

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Benmoore999

[Mk2] [Turbo] CT20b Maximum boost / flow at 1.3 -1.5 bar

Post by Benmoore999 »

I am planning to pickup a motec and maybe a steel shafted stock CT20 prob with a 360 degree bearing. Possibly a CT20 hybrid. Hopefully that will let me run a little more boost say 1.3 - 1.5 bar. Does anyone have experience with the CT20b at this boost level ?

The Turbo Harry sold recently would have been ideal for my project.

Cheers

Ben
Mikey P MR2

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] CT20b Maximum boost / flow at 1.3 -1.5 bar

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

i would guess you would have to up the fueling at that sort of boost but my turbo is still pulling very strong at 1.2 so i am sure there is abit more to be had out of the turbo its self.
steve b

Post by steve b »

That sort of boost level I'd have thought bigger injectors would be needed, i'd only do that level on a steel turbo, very risky on a ceramic.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
Harry

Post by Harry »

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98101

This Is was the one Baz has fitted plus a TT own cast single port exhaust housing. Await:-feedback On my set up It made 1.38 bar before blowing out the knock sensor running the stock ECU and Injectors but I have In tank fuel pump 255 l aeromotive fuel regulator cams CC radtech front rad. water Injection plus a lot more see garage and this turbo really worked.

Torque Is Immense.But still retained the sharp crisp rapid spool up. A really rapid turbo set up bear In mind It was fully worked fully ported It was built as far as the CT 20 could go. Rated at 400 hp at 1.5 bar.At 1.3 bar the stock 540 cc Injectors are at max. So 850 cc's an ECU map 1.4 Bar or possible 1.5. With a stock set up 1.2 bar Is near the limit of fuel.

At 1.4 or 1.5 bar forged pistons are a good Idea although a good map on the motec could get around It but don't do It! It has been done the map Is the key. Stock piston rings fail under the boost pressure hence forged pistons. I would say 1.3 bar boost with out forged piston with 850 cc Injectors cooling and a good map with a CT 20 hybrid would yield good torque and hp.

So It's not the hybrid turbo at risk per se It's the rings and If they go It cheerio engine.

Return to “Modifications”