[Mk2] [Turbo] Price guide

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RobCrezz

[Mk2] [Turbo] Price guide

Post by RobCrezz »

Hi Guys,

Just signed up, as in the next few months im looking to get a MR2 turbo. Few reasons for this, Insurance will finally give me a good price, I have always loved MR2s (fell in love with my brothers old mk1 years ago) and I love turbocharged engines.

I currently have a S13 200sx with some engine mods (255lph fuel pump, boost controller, HD stage1 chip etc), should be running around 220bhp, but havent had it on a RR. I want more power and better handling and the mk2 looks like the best choice. I know the MR2 wont be as easy on the limit as the S13 but thats ok, im not that interested in drifting.

Looking to buy in October as I figure ill get another years MOT on the S13 before I try to sell it and it will give me the chance to get the rest of the money together.

My question is, what condition tub will I get with £4-5k? Im guessing REV3 or newer is better. I want one thats in really really good condition that I can keep for a while as I have been chopping and changing cars quite a big recently. Happy to buy one already modded to around 300bhp but nothing too silly, not that interested in cosmetic mods as long as the car is clean and tidy.

Sorry for the huggge post! :oops:
RobCrezz

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Price guide

Post by RobCrezz »

no replys? :cry:
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

I'd imagine you should get a reasonable Rev3 for that price.

My old one is up for sale at the moment, £3200 IIRC and that had a freshly rebuilt engine put in last July.

I'll dig out the thread, just to give you an idea.

I'd just browse through the for sale section on here, theres plenty going :thumleft:
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Very nice! Looks like a really nice one.

Its a Rev 2 though, is that missing much compared to the rev3?
splintermcinnes

Post by splintermcinnes »

generally not. the difference was suspension and brakes were different, plus some other things. but if its had its suspension replaced its handeling is fine, and the brakes are fine, my rev 2 brakes can cope well with my V6! but new brakes are on my shopping list, i swapped my rev 2 suspension for some TEIN coilovers, awsome bits of kit, but i bought mine for the spec it had at the time, was a minter, big list of things done to the engione. if you find the right one, dont let the fact its rev 2 put you off! i prefer the earlier spoiler anyway, but i like the rev 3 rear lights, but the previous owner had already put rev 3 lights on it! best of both worlds!!
CosmosblueMR2 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:I had a girlfriend for 4 months and she never even came in my room lol.

practice then mate - they make funny noises when they do :oldtongue:
C50

Post by C50 »

was gonna say buy a rev3 but Lou's ex mr2 has a rev3 in it and it looks lush
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

For that budget you will get a very nice Rev 3 :thumleft:

As already said - check out the for sale section here and also piston heads. Prices seem to be lower then ever so you will get a good deal, especially if you are looking in october as alot of people are not looking to buy with winter approaching so you will have your pick :thumleft:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Rhiannan wrote:For that budget you will get a very nice Rev 3 :thumleft:

As already said - check out the for sale section here and also piston heads. Prices seem to be lower then ever so you will get a good deal, especially if you are looking in october as alot of people are not looking to buy with winter approaching so you will have your pick :thumleft:

Yeah, I could get one now, but I want to wait to get my 200sx mot'd and sold first.

Ill be keeping an eye on here and pistonheads like you guys say. I would rather buy from someone at the owners club.

I have been trying to find some FAQs but cant see any.
Is there anywhere that shows the favored routes for tuning (stage1, 2 etc) or what is needed and recommended for 300bhp, weak parts that need upgrading etc..
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

Well I'm certainly no expert on that kind of thing....but this thread might help you out a little :thumleft:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... light=mods

There is a search facility up the top, it is not the best but with a little patience you can find some helpful stuff. :D
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

C50 wrote:was gonna say buy a rev3 but Lou's ex mr2 has a rev3 in it and it looks lush

Yep :(

Need to win lottery :clap: :pray:
shabz

Post by shabz »

i'm no expert but there is a lot more different than just suspension and brakes between rev2/3...better turbo, bigger injectors, steel headgasket, more power and quite a bit more

for your budget i'd definitely get a rev3 tubby, you'll get a nice one for that much, and to get them to around 280-290fwhp is fairly easy and cheap...apexi or arc induction or equivalent...downpipe...exhaust...boost controller...and away you go...its a good idea to get an aftermarket intercooler/chargecooler if you want to turn up the boost past 1.0bar
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

shabz wrote:i'm no expert but there is a lot more different than just suspension and brakes between rev2/3...better turbo, bigger injectors, steel headgasket, more power and quite a bit more

for your budget i'd definitely get a rev3 tubby, you'll get a nice one for that much, and to get them to around 280-290fwhp is fairly easy and cheap...apexi or arc induction or equivalent...downpipe...exhaust...boost controller...and away you go...its a good idea to get an aftermarket intercooler/chargecooler if you want to turn up the boost past 1.0bar

Cool, hopefully I can buy one already modified to this spec for my budget, but still looking pretty standard. :)
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Agree with Shabz. With your budget you're defo better going rev3+ if you're looking around 300 fwhp as its much easier to achieve than on a rev 1 or 2. If you're looking at 400fwhp then its different, it won't make that much different engine wise as you'd need to replace similar parts on a rev 1/2 as you would on a rev 3+.

For £4/5k in today's market you can get a great condition rev 3 tuned to 300fwhp. They're great cars, you won't be disappointed :mrgreen:
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

Leeroy wrote:Agree with Shabz. With your budget you're defo better going rev3+ if you're looking around 300 fwhp as its much easier to achieve than on a rev 1 or 2. If you're looking at 400fwhp then its different, it won't make that much different engine wise as you'd need to replace similar parts on a rev 1/2 as you would on a rev 3+.

For £4/5k in today's market you can get a great condition rev 3 tuned to 300fwhp. They're great cars, you won't be disappointed :mrgreen:

Yeah, not looking to tune that high. 300 at the fly will be fine.

I just want something in great condition that I can look after and have fun with. I dont have to drive to work so it will only be used evenings and weekends. A T-bar would be awesome too.

So is there anything weak that fails on these that I should make sure I get changed. i.e on the 200sx's the fuel pumps are poor, so 255lph ones are essential with any kind of tuning.
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

as posted above i think my one fits your bill very well already tuned to make about 300fly bhp. As said this is a fairly easy amount to get on a rev3 onwards car and keeps it reliable
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

RobCrezz wrote:So is there anything weak that fails on these that I should make sure I get changed. i.e on the 200sx's the fuel pumps are poor, so 255lph ones are essential with any kind of tuning.

To be honest, not really! I can't think of anything common that 'fails'.

Obviously ignition components can wear out fast on turbos, and the IC isn't very efficient once you put the boost up but can't think of much else on a rev3+ tbh. If the clutch hasn't been uprated it might need to be if you're running 300fwhp, its about that region they start to slip.

FWIW I think 300-320fwhp is a good level for the MR2 if you use it regularly and want reliability as you can keep pretty much all major parts stock, including brakes.

Having said that, the ct20b is ceramic shafted and its luck of the draw as to how long it lasts under any circumstances - it can last 50k miles or 150k miles +. A steel shafted turbo would be my preference, e.g. hybrid (which I've got) but most don't bother. If you've got lots of money to spend you could always get a small garret put in there. Equally, you can leave it be and act on it if it breaks!
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Hi Rob,
Welcome to IMOC.

The good thing is that you've got until October to do your research.
For your money you'll be able to buy a very nice rev3 (maybe a rev4 which is practically identical).

Funnily enough, the brakes and suspension are the one thing that rev2 and 3 have in common (I did hear that rev3 have improved rear sub frames, though). Rev3s have a viscous LSD as standard too.

The engines are completely different (better turbo, strobger HG, better cams, improved ECU, bigger injectors 550cc, MAP sensor instead of AFM, better flowing inlet manifold), so don't get a rev2 unless you're buying a highly modified one.

Even with a rev3, however, there's a bit of a tuning brickwall money-wise at around 340fwBHP. Above this and everything needs attention, i.e. forged re-build, injectors, turbo.

With a stock rev3 you can get to 280 - 290fwBHP by doing the following:
- De-cat (buy a 1994 car or earlier and you use the cat loophole on the MOT to pass without a cat)
- Free-flowing exhaust
- uprated intake panel filter or induction kit
- turn boost up to 1.2bar (fuel cut is about 1.25bar) with an EBC ideally

That's it! Although an uprated intercooler is recommended.

Good luck with the search.
RobCrezz

Post by RobCrezz »

mattcambs wrote:Hi Rob,
Welcome to IMOC.

The good thing is that you've got until October to do your research.
For your money you'll be able to buy a very nice rev3 (maybe a rev4 which is practically identical).

Funnily enough, the brakes and suspension are the one thing that rev2 and 3 have in common (I did hear that rev3 have improved rear sub frames, though). Rev3s have a viscous LSD as standard too.

The engines are completely different (better turbo, strobger HG, better cams, improved ECU, bigger injectors 550cc, MAP sensor instead of AFM, better flowing inlet manifold), so don't get a rev2 unless you're buying a highly modified one.

Even with a rev3, however, there's a bit of a tuning brickwall money-wise at around 340fwBHP. Above this and everything needs attention, i.e. forged re-build, injectors, turbo.

With a stock rev3 you can get to 280 - 290fwBHP by doing the following:
- De-cat (buy a 1994 car or earlier and you use the cat loophole on the MOT to pass without a cat)
- Free-flowing exhaust
- uprated intake panel filter or induction kit
- turn boost up to 1.2bar (fuel cut is about 1.25bar) with an EBC ideally

That's it! Although an uprated intercooler is recommended.

Good luck with the search.

Sounds great. A ECB would be bought defo and uprated intercooler too even as peice of mind (dont want det!).

So does the standard ECU do ok up to 1.2bar then? doesnt need anykind of piggy management? I assume the standard ECUs cant be remapped like the 200sx's.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”