Steve's 1.5 SE build thread

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

PW@Woodsport

Re: Steve's 1.5 SE build thread

Post by PW@Woodsport »

cheers steve,its worth the extra effort i reckon.
System-G

Post by System-G »

Good work Paul 8)

I'm really liking the improved pipework and layout :thumleft:

Still not sure about the BOV on the Rev1/2 engines though... :?
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Just wanted to say, top notch thread! Thanks for posting it here Paul.
I was wondering, if you are in the position of having plenty of work to keep you busy have you considered expanding to be able to handle more work?

Andrew
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

hi andrew,we have already just expanded last summer into this new unit and taken on staff... things have gone a bit mental on the mr2 engine conversion scene and at this rate i may have to think about expanding again very soon,anthony and i are flat out every day!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

today saw the completion of work inside the engine bay,brackets made for everything,intercooler pipes completed and all wiring finished.....

and a pic of the boot which is not finished just yet....

this way of doing the IC pipes is a lot better than any other way ive done it before to be honest,and allows for easy IC upgrades in future.

Not long to go now before the key gets turned.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

WOW, that looks like it was always meant to be there :shock: :thumleft: :thumleft: \:D/ :clap: :clap: , top notch mate !!, Jinxy
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Thats what i was thinking also tony :shock:
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

maybe i ought to 3SGTE the trailer Chris :mrgreen: :clown: .
Paul, will Steve have any space in the boot at all ? do you plan to panel the I/C off from the rest of the boot area or leave it open as it is ?, cheers, Jinxy
Karl_T

Post by Karl_T »

I've just seen Richard's V6 conversion, makes a lovely noise does that. :D

A couple of questions on the turbo conversion though. If you stick the intercooler in the boot, how does it get any airflow through it. I thought these things normally were sat in fresh air or at least had dirty great fans pulling air through them?
Also a long pipe from turbo to intake > lots of turbo lag, yes/no?

Karl
Red ones go faster......
OlberJ

Post by OlberJ »

That's the same side as the vent that the I/C rad is on so it'll get cool air from there.

A fan on it may help. It's getting the air out that mite be a bit of a problem.

Louvred rear corner? :-k
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

mk1.5's normally have ducting and a fan bringing cool air from under the car and through the IC and out the top of the boot lid which really confuses people cause the outlet vent is pointing backwards,this is all cut into the exsisting bodywork and in my opinion looks the daddys.
Oh and that part of the boot is normally sealed off from the rest so as to aid air flow and give you at least a little useable part of the boot.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

yep indeed,that corner will get partitioned off so theres still a useable boot... and ive fans and stuff to add yet,plus it gets airflow from the engine bay in my new design,most folk add their own vents to the boot lid or rear quarter panel later on.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

Paul that looks the dogs !! As you know I am not prone to outbursts of wild enthusiasm but that is one of the nicest conversions i have seen. It all just works so well . Bloody brilliant :clap:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

why thankyou sir! :thumleft: we are still waiting for the crack commando team to burst through the windows and shoot us for using an SE though :lol:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

yes not sure of Steve`s thinking there. I would have sold that to pay for some of the conversion but its his decision. How many where made ?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

the logic behind it being he has the most solid 1.5 in the country and he knows what hes got rather than buying something he doesnt know and having to spend money on it.Plus steve admits its wasnt original before the swap so wouldnt fetch top dollar SE money anyway if he sold it.

I think he owns one very special car now,but its each to their own,steve did what was best for him.

Not sure how many were built?
System-G

Post by System-G »

PW@Woodsport wrote:why thankyou sir! :thumleft: we are still waiting for the crack commando team to burst through the windows and shoot us for using an SE though :lol:

I initially though it was a shame using an SE, but there was not much SE on the car to start with (no SE recaro seats, no SE Momo steering wheel etc...) - so it was just basically a standard SC or a 1b with a supercharged engine in it (whichever way you want to look at it).

The GZE is going into another car so in one sense the SC is reborn again :thumleft:

No losses IMO :thumleft:

I am waiting for people to start flaming me for converting an original rare Champagne 1a into our new track car with a new colour scheme :lol:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Xhermes

Post by Xhermes »

Hey Paul,

I've been reading a lot of your projects and first that shoots in mind is. Good work! Nice to see a dedicated company doing these swaps. I wish we had somethin in the Netherlands that did this :-k

I was wondering, how many people work on a car ?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

G its your car bud,do what you like... there will always be someone that disapproves,problem is the same people wont give you top price for it if you were selling.

Xhermes,theres just me and my mechanic anth,we work on two projects at a time,one each ....so everything on this car was done solely by me.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

crazylegs wrote:yes not sure of Steve`s thinking there. I would have sold that to pay for some of the conversion but its his decision. How many where made ?

something like 250ish SE's were produced Shish is the man to confirm exact no.s

http://www.basirk.com/mr2/se/
Last edited by kevin..in on Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”