mr2 turbo rev 3+ vs s2000

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kev8611

Re: mr2 turbo rev 3+ vs s2000

Post by kev8611 »

So we all drive RMR2's now lol

in my view. S2k is an FR layout.
Mr2 is an MR layout.
Porsche is an RR layout
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

shinny wrote:But please stop trying to argue that Marf is wrong in stating the Honda is mid-engined because he quite simply isn't. Heck, I even posted the example on wikipedia (which you asked for) stating exactly that. I'm sorry you haven't heard the terminology before or that your technical understanding of what front, mid and rear referred to was wrong, but please treat this as an opportunity to learn something new.

I'm not saying Marc is wrong, I'm saying I dont agree with it.
Its the first time I've ever heard of the term in my short 43 years on the planet.

I've never heard of an s2k been referred to as mid engined as opposed to front engined.
If I called ans2k mid engined in general conversation, people would almost certainly correct me.
Its also the first time I've heard somebody liken an s2k layout to an mr2 layout (which surprised me the most)

You do indeed live and learn, but please, for the good of the forum, permit people to have their own opinion.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

QUOC2008 wrote:
I m sure if we had the trd version with 500bhp and wider revised suspension we wouldnt complain.

trd's wern't rolled off the production line.
a small few may of had the kit fitted when brand new, but the majority are just owners who went to trd to have the kit fitted. (be it rev1s or rev5s).
if they wanted engine upgrades, they got them.
this is why every trd is different.
there is no "stock" mr2 with a trd kit and 500hp out of the toyota factory.

the only claimed "500hp" car anyone remembers had a ct20b! (so obviously nowhere close to 500hp).

regarding this layout business, i wouldnt mind a drive in an s2000.

:thumleft: :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

QUOC2008 wrote:
The driving postion , space and feel of the mr2 is soo much better then the s2000. People always complain about the mr2 s bad nature but if you were in a f1 car would you complain about the snap oversteer, cornering n braking is hard at low speeds.
I m sure if we had the trd version with 500bhp and wider revised suspension we wouldnt complain.

There is a big power difference @ the wheels and traction between the mr2 and s2000... thats why the mr2 will win in a drag race.

But cornering im still not agreeing that the s2000 is better. But out the box the mr2 with 195 tyres and the s2000 with 245 tyre has a big part to play in it.

I disagree about the driving position, the s2ks seemed spot on but very snug. Maybe its not so good if your fairly tall. Also i'd kill to have anywhere near the feel of the gearshift of an s2k in my sw.

Also there is no real difference in suspension design for the trd cars, apart from wider lower offset wheels that fill out the wider arches.

Another thing to note is that the s2k rears are 225 width, on the ap1 at least.

Honestly stock for stock I think the s2k would be better around a track as long as you had confidence in the steering. The linear power delivery would be much easier to handle than the slightly laggy feel you get with a smic on a tubby. Also a stock s2k corners flatter than a stock rev3 tubby, mine feels nice and pointy now but it is no way standard.

I'm always suprised how much lateral roll sw20s have with stock arbs after driving one with arbs.
Marf

Post by Marf »

gavsdavs wrote:

You do indeed live and learn, but please, for the good of the forum, permit people to have their own opinion.

You're entirely entitled to your opinion, and everyone else is entirely entitled to tell you that your opinion is wrong when it is indeed wrong.

No need to get huffy about it. If you want to hold an incorrect opinion that's your look out, but don't get annoyed when people point out that you're wrong.

gavsdavs wrote:
If I called ans2k mid engined in general conversation, people would almost certainly correct me.

Yes and at that point, you could correct them and teach them something new :)
Last edited by Marf on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Race Idiot wrote:
Honestly stock for stock I think the s2k would be better around a track as long as you had confidence in the steering. The linear power delivery would be much easier to handle than the slightly laggy feel you get with a smic on a tubby. Also a stock s2k corners flatter than a stock rev3 tubby, mine feels nice and pointy now but it is no way standard.

Entirely my view. ` :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Honestly though the steering feel on the s2k was a big letdown, even coming from the sw which isnt realy known for its steering feel. Although i've found that being able to dial in more caster improved this on the sw.

Although isnt the s2k one of the first few cars to have fully electric pas?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yeah I never rated the steering feel on the SW, hell my FWD LSD equipped Charade GTxx had more steering feel!

Race Idiot wrote:

Although isnt the s2k one of the first few cars to have fully electric pas?

Yeah it is, was also EPAS on the NSX.

Mate has an NSX and the EPAS has failed, looking at a huge bill to fix it.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Well the sw has a wierd pas system anyway, when most cars were using only hydraulic pas toyota decided the sw needed electrical and hydraulic assistance.
shinny

Post by shinny »

Marf wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:

You're entirely entitled to your opinion, and everyone else is entirely entitled to tell you that your opinion is wrong when it is indeed wrong.

No need to get huffy about it. If you want to hold an incorrect opinion that's your look out, but don't get annoyed when people point out that you're wrong.

I wasn't aware it was a matter of opinion which side of the axle Honda placed the S2000's engine? But hey, anything goes in this post-modernist world and the ultimate offence you can cause anyone is to say they're wrong :oops:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Good job on the slapfight guys :?
Marf

Post by Marf »

shinny wrote:
Marf wrote:
gavsdavs wrote:

I wasn't aware it was a matter of opinion which side of the axle Honda placed the S2000's engine? But hey, anything goes in this post-modernist world and the ultimate offence you can cause anyone is to say they're wrong :oops:

:lol:

Being wrong is fine by me, why? Because I learn something. :wink:
Last edited by Marf on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Race Idiot wrote:Good job on the slapfight guys :?

I'm a blackbelt in slapfighting.

gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

So every front engined car where the engine mounted behind the front axle is now just plain mid engined.
I think the vast majority of the world would not agree except here in pedants corner.

They would call it front engined. I would callef be a pub bore if I argued the toss, which is exactly my point.

But its okay here of course.
Marf

Post by Marf »

gavsdavs wrote:
So every front engined car where the engine mounted behind the front axle is now just plain mid engined.

No, front mid engined. I'd have though that'd have sunk in by now, but I guess learnding new fings is hard. :?

gavsdavs wrote:
I think the vast majority of the world would not agree except here in pedants corner.

And the whole automotive industry, but they don't matter right?

I mean they're only the ones who make the cars with this incredibly befuddling front mid engine layout, the b'stards!

gavsdavs wrote:They would call it front engined. I would callef be a pub bore if I argued the toss, which is exactly my point.

OMG that would be literally the worst thing evarrr! ZOMG :roll:

"mummy mummy the mean men at the pub called me a bore because I tried to learn them some new things" Oh behave :lol:
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

[quote="Marf"]

No, front mid engined. I'd have though that'd have sunk in by now, but I guess learnding new fings is hard. :?

But you didn't say that. You specifically said mid engined and are now wriggling.

Please give the childish language a rest. I don't talk to you like that, so please return the favour.

Nobody seems to want to dispute me on this despite the childish squealing.. The S2k is not like the mr2 to drive, despite them both being mid-engined. Your words.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Now who's being a pedant. You're just p-ssed off that you were wrong and are now desperately trying to twist my words to try and get one over on me.

You could just go "huh, I didn't know about FMR layout, I learned something new today, that's great" instead you're resisting for some unknown reason. Pride I suspect.

You're a real special guy Gav, I'll give you that :thumleft:

Over to you for some more nonsense :eye:
kev8611

Post by kev8611 »

I think he has picked you up just like I have when saying theyre both mid engined cars meaning they are identical in terms of layout but infact they arent.

So it goes back to what you initially said, they are not both mid engined cars, the s2k is an FMR and the mr2 is an RMR?
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

I don't care what you think of me. Really.
You called an S2k mid engined.
I challenged it.
You then changed that to FMR. (which I have admitted I hadn't heard of)

I'm still waiting for to agree/disagree with my statement about an S2k being "like" an mr2 to drive and that the rest of the world would call an s2k front engined, not mid-engined.

You've chosen to avoid answering that and are just now name calling.

Your turn.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

:thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”