Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GreddyMR2

Re: Track car with a low budget | Powered by Adaptronic

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Little update :)

Finally I made a hanger for AFM:

The exhaust was modified to make it a bit more quiet and I had to run it to a different side, because otherwise it would not fit with a silencer. Also V-band was added to make it easier to disamble. And I think it looks better now :)

Sorry for my poor bumper, but the other one is already waiting for painting :thumleft:

HKS S-AFR installed. Not tuned yet as I need a wideband, but I hope it will help (having EIDS function) with bov to atm.

Proxes R888 for track day events. Finally I'm going to feel a real difference in a grip :)

And Blitz blow off was bought, but I still need to make a flange to fit original place.

And almost forgot, I bought a CT20 hybrid yesterday, which belonged to Magic Beans earlier. In need of a rebuild, but I hope I will have a nice turbo :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110941773842?ss ... 500wt_1288
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Looking good Lukas :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

My new buy :) Some new parts and itwill shine again. And finaly "Pinkie" will become track / weekend car only.
Last edited by GreddyMR2 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Small update.
Finally got a custom flange for blitz bov and it costed be about 30gbp. Not a perfect job, but it does it's function.

I fitted the bov. Sounds simply, but I like it.

After fitting bov I thought HKS S-AFR EIDS function will turn on automatically, but I still cant see the EIDS light flashing... Can anyone tell me how to check the problem, why the EIDS is not turning on? Dip switch is turned on, light is ok, because it's flashing when the power is on. But I think it should stay on when engine is started.

Now I will start preparing a car for Monday's track training and waiting for next weekend's Time attack event :)
Jobs to do:
Change brake pads (DONE);
Fit custom speed flaps (DONE);
Fit front bunper undertray plastic (DONE);
Make a hanger for fire extinguisher and fit it in front of passenger seat;
Make a bigger caster;
Hope to weld front sway bar hangers (they are cracked from body) and to fit 19mm sway bars from rev2+ car.
And to throw out all the sound system (DONE) :D

Bought genuine brake pads from imoc member. Planned to fit yellow stuff, but they are a bit costly... I hope I will still feel the diffence with genuine ones instead of some unbranded fakes.
Anyone knows why one of them are green?
Last edited by GreddyMR2 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

The sound of Blitz blow off valve.
http://youtu.be/VEOGYJfxvvI

Question: does the valve have to move in and out a bit on idle (and when it moves, revs fluctuating)? But this is only when the spring is loosened. When it's tightened, it doesn't move and revs are even.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

So, the weekend is coming really fast and still a lot of work to do.
Today I made custom speed flaps, but I doubt thay will help :D Also , fitted gear cable from a turbo, so now gears changing better.
And washed a car for the weekend's time attack and fitted suede steering wheel:)

Still left to fit a fire extinguisher. Also would like to change sway bars and adjust caster, but probably I will have no time tomorrow...

What I can say about genuine brake pads, that they are really dusty. But maybe because I was driving in a track.

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the speed flaps. I'm looking at putting some on the Mule, in an effort to maximise the handling :thumleft:

Any news on the turbo yet?
craig

Post by craig »

Enjoyable thread mate :D
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

I will let you know about speed flaps on Sunday :) On Monday's training I felt like car's front becomes light and a bit unstable on high speeds, it was without flaps. The best improvement in handling was tires.

Turbo is still in UK :( the courier is not going to my friend now, so waiting... I hope I will get it soon. But anyway, after this weekend mr2 will probably stay for winter's sleep and modifications :)

RedMR² wrote:Enjoyable thread mate :D

Thanks :thumleft: But my thread is so small and weak (talking about modifications and so on) compeared to others :D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Good luck, let me know :thumleft:

I guess it makes sense to refurb it over the winter, then you can run it next year when it's finally warm again. It will be good to see what you think of the turbo. :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Magic Beans wrote:Good luck, let me know :thumleft:

I guess it makes sense to refurb it over the winter, then you can run it next year when it's finally warm again. It will be good to see what you think of the turbo. :)

Thank you :)

I will refurb it as soon as I get it (plus I think of doing turbo oil lines with braided hoses, because those metal pipes are pain to fit), but will probably change during winter time. Also I think I need to change ex. manifold gasket, make some other mods and do some cosmetic work.

Everything will be shown here :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Ehh, had a great Saturday's time attack event :)

First of all, I reached and exeeded all my expectations. Thought to finish into the middle of all the participants and make a time of ~ 1:29.xx, but I finished 27th of 81 and managed to make a lap in 1:26.40. This was my firs try in such kind of a race and everything went well. One time after going back into pits my car overheated, because the fans don't turn on automatically and they eved didn't turn on when I tried to do it mechanically. But luckilly nothing serious happened. Also, maybe because of blow off or something my car was hesitating on turns when throttle is not released or pushed to the floor. On the idle or on full throttle it's ok. I suspect the bov... Was planning to take the stock bov, but I forgot it.

All in all, it was a really great experience and i hope next year I will get some better lap time after mods during winter :)

1. I think I need a new geometry alignement, because the car is a bit unstable. It was done about 2 years ago and for streed of course. Now I think I can align for racing purposes only.
2. I am planning to take the fog lights off and make a tunnel for cooling the front brakes. I am really impressed that they did not overheat yesterday in 20mins of track driving, but anyway I think it will be better with some additional cooling.
3. Get a bucket seat.
4. Install switch for radiator fans.
5. Coilovers, if finances will allow it.
6. CT20 hybrid turbo and maybe EBC.
7. Probably I will need new tyres and use current ones for training only.
8. Rollcage behind the seats or complete.
And a lot more in my minds, but I will keep it for myself for now :D

I was using race chrono soft in my android phone and I can say it's quite accurate. Only difference between times in phone and in racing equipment is ~0.1s
Also, it showed max G of 3.9. I dont know if it big :D There are also some other measurements, but I don't know what they mean.

Ahh, allmost forgot to say about speed flaps. I'm not really sure if they help, but something helped me to make time from ~ 1:31.xx (in monday's training) to 1:26.xx (yesterday). Flaps were definitely worth doing, because they costed only time :) I noticed front's flowting in monday's training and I didn't noticed or just didn't think about it yesterday.
Magic beans, do it :thumleft:

Here you can see my second run. Unfortunately I forgot to lower a pressure in a tyres after first run, so I didn't make a faster lap and the rear of a car was sliding... After second run I measured pressure and it was 2.5bar in front and 2.8 in rear, when before the first run they were 2 and 2.3 bar. :(

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rZ7M9Ftyb0

And some photos :)
When I was still first in my group run... First run my time was second, second run I was third. But in my class (str2500+) I finished 7th of 17.

And that was sad to see... I hate our track of small spaces for mistakes and because of bumpy asphalt (you probably noticed this in video)

That's it for this season and now wait for some modifications :)
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

My first try to add a data on a video from race chrono software.
Not synced perfectly and bad video quality, but still you can see the speed and lap times.
http://youtu.be/BPr8i5eEY9w
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

That looks like so much fun :D

Those corners nearer the end of the lap look like it could easily go badly wrong :shock:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

It was for sure :D Can't wait for next season to improve my lap times.

Yeap, the end of a lap is very bumpy and narrow... But lucilly everything went well :thumleft:

BTW, today the courier called me and told that turbo is already in Lithuania and I will get it tomorrow! Good news.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Excellent :thumleft:
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

Finally the CT20 arrived :)
The axle is very loose, definitely needs a rebuild. But I hope I will have a nice turbo after.
Do all CT20s have adjustable wastegate?
And I thought that CT20 has only one wastegate port. What kind of toyota turbo's has it?

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I can't remember how it was connected to be honest. Although if you're running a boost controller there will be one wastegate hose connecting to the turbo, with a T piece linking it to the controller. Then the other wastegate hose connects to the controller.
GreddyMR2

Post by GreddyMR2 »

emm, I probably said wrong. I was talking about those two wastegate ports in exhaust side, where the downpipe connects.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Ahhh. I have no clue, sorry :(

Return to “Member Profiles”