Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

uglee

Re: Rev4 Sonic Shadow 3.5L VVTi V6

Post by uglee »

Thankyou, unfortunately the patience thing is really lack of time at home at the moment. Should have been on the road by now but less than 3 weeks at home in the last 4 months has messed that plan up.

I need to have the car ready and MOT'd for the 29th July, however I'm not home until the 22nd. So a week to get the front end properly sorted, brakes on and bled,lots of little niggly issues like instruments and fog light to sort, MOT and then finally alignment. Going to be close :pray:
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

has this never been on the road as a 2gr then?
uglee

Post by uglee »

Yes I got about 3 weeks out of it last year before the MOT expired.

I finished the engine install and 2 days later drove from Glasgow to Peterborough for JAE. Was pretty nervous and was listening out for any strange noises, not a single issue :D

But it did make me realise there was non engine issues to sort and other things to be improved upon.
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

ah nice, at least you had 3 weeks :mrgreen:
Infamous

Post by Infamous »

Those rims are going to look aswesome when fitted, be sure to get some pics up when they are!
Sonic-Pete

Post by Sonic-Pete »

lots of work on that looking nice
craig

Post by craig »

I love this car :clap: :D
uglee

Post by uglee »

Finally got the car through its MOT!

New rear tyres, photo to show the 'slight' difference front to back :mrgreen:

Wheels finally on the car looking shiny, really shiny!

Also got my recovered steering wheel back from Steve

And if you're wondering where half my interior is in the last photo, I'm getting the doorcards hopefully sometime this week that look like this:

Almost there now. That's the engine, interior, sus[ension and wheels all pretty much new. Last thing maybe at end of this year is a respray and that is finally it! 8)
craig

Post by craig »

=P~ =P~ =P~ =P~
stevenb

Post by stevenb »

This is a nice project read.

Well done owning and sorting such a nice example. :thumleft:
GT-Thunder

Post by GT-Thunder »

looks really good, I really like the steering wheel and the door cards will compliment the dash.

Seeing your wheel prompted me to enquire with Steve about getting my anniversary wheel re-trimmed in the near future.

Great work

:thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

Thankyou, I really like Steves work. Took some more photo's while I went for a drive just for the sake of driving:

Interior is almost there now with the retrimmed doorcards fitted:

Few close ups to show the quality:

Also had the gearknob done:

Really nice place to be now:

uglee

Post by uglee »

I finally couldn't cope with the exhaust anymore. Was fine at idle, but any load on the engine drew too much unwanted attention, and I'm sure the neighbours were not too keen on it eithere.

So at 4.30 Tuesday morning just gone I drove from Kilmarnock to Newcastle to get it properly sorted. Took it to a company called AAS. I went on recomendation and also I wanted a completely bespoke back box made up with the volume limits much lower than what they were. Didn't want an off the shelf box most companies offer. Also not impressed with the previous companies efforts on my midsection.

2 days later I collected it. Cost a little more than expected as the previous monkey who did my previous crap (and expensive) mid section had cut the flanges off my manifolds and welded on a reducing sleeve. So they had to remove the manifolds, cut off the sleeve and weld on new flanges.

Here's the finished system:

2nd silencer that can be replaced with a catalytic converter should things get awkward in the future with regards to the MOT:

Where the 2 banks meet:

Forward bank flexi and lambda boss:

Really happy with it, the quality is fantastic and the noise/volume is perfect now. Cannot recomend AAS enough! :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

I love your car dude :twisted:

Would love a quiet exhaust :(
uglee

Post by uglee »

Cheers mate, it's all coming together now. Something really nice about making progress without shouting about it. Maybe it's an age thing? Lol
craig

Post by craig »

uglee wrote:Cheers mate, it's all coming together now. Something really nice about making progress without shouting about it. Maybe it's an age thing? Lol

Probably! :lol:

I would love it if my MR2 sounded just like a normal unmodified car. Unfortunately, with a Nur spec and berk decat (even with nur bung in) it still levels buildings :(
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

so what did you do with the Fujitsubo backbox ?? :evil:
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
uglee

Post by uglee »

It was held onto for someone who replied 1st to the for sale post about a month ago. However my PM to him letting him know it's available now it's off the car has sat there for 3days now
CJ

Post by CJ »

Only recently joined and was pointed in this threads direction. Wow - what a great build and write up this is!

As a serial modder (albeit with Supra's previously as this is my first mr2) I take my hat off to your ingenuity and choice of style - very impressive indeed.

It has now given me food for thought re the engine side of things and my possible future plans re a 3SGTE swap. :) :clap:
uglee

Post by uglee »

CJ wrote:It has now given me food for thought re the engine side of things and my possible future plans re a 3SGTE swap. :) :clap:

Thankyou :thumleft:

Is that regards to which engine or the thought of going for a turbo engine?

With regards to the 2GR-FE I think it offers a genuine alternative to a 350hp+ forged turbo lump especially for fast road use only.

The engines flexibility and area under the torque curve turns it into a car that feels considerably more powerful than 325hp would suggest. Also if it's a forged turbo block/big turbo/fueling etc you are thinking of you will probably be in the same ballpark expense wise for a swap! :mrgreen:

HTH

Return to “Member Profiles”