Engine fans - anyone interested?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Urbantiger

Re: Engine fans - anyone interested?

Post by Urbantiger »

just run it by me again :oops: ,

What are the water covers, and what are they for?

Steve..
stevel

Post by stevel »

Urbantiger wrote:just run it by me again :oops: ,

What are the water covers, and what are they for?

Steve..

yeah i seemed to have missed something here as well :?

We need pics :wink:

Steve
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Im basically worried that by removing the original engine bay inside cover, it will leave a hole were there aint supposed to be one.

Any water will run directlly onto the engine electrics ie dizzy cap etc.
The originall cover chanells water away.

While the fans are motionless, rain water will come straight through to the engine, instead of being channelled away.

Graeme
stevel

Post by stevel »

Got you Graeme
I didnt see the part were Jimbob explained his covers, not for the lack of looking though :oops:
shafster

Post by shafster »

Jimbob wrote:
If you want yours fitted though shaf come down and we can do a second test fit on your car to make sure they are bang on. I can then dispatch the rest.

fine by me, so long as you arent more than 100 miles away :)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ok Ok,

To eleviate the problem that fan kits, in general, all let rain in where the fans are (as the fans aren't solid)

I am offering these as an extra. Basically your right where the gap (the holes for the fans) is water can get in. As is the same with any fan kit. So I am offering two removable panels that will fit directly underneath the fans. These will have a seal so that all water is prevented from entering the engine bay (at least on top of the engine area). Obviuosley this would be a get out and fit it job, and would mean running the fans would have no cooling effect.......but they will be sized so they fit under the seats or in the boot. This means if your worried about the rain jump out and fit the covers, or fit them before you leave the house :wink:

This is purely an added bonus for winter use when outdoor temps are cool anyway.

There are no pics at the moment. As this is a new thing I am playing with to make the kit better. As I said my kit has run fine for all this time and I have driven it in pouring rain. The fan holes are such that the water is not near any inportnat electrical bits anyway.

Don't worry guts the kit will function as previousely but will have a built-in feature for those rainy days. Personally i'm not really worried about the water but thought it was a cool feature? No?

Cheers guys, If your still unsure just ask me what you wnat to know again.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

The cover would be where the blue patch is. Once designed it will either seal totally ( using a rubber seal) on the lid or have a small gap and be tilted to send water away from the engine. If I can get the fans perectly flush the cover will be a total seal.

Its simply a quick fitting, reusable panel for preventing water getting in. What for some pics if your still unsure.

Dave Goodhand

Post by Dave Goodhand »

I've taken my under bonnet cover off, it weighs a fair bit, and allows the engine to cool better.

Had no starting problems, and its been off for about 2 years now.
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

I see now, IMHO they are not needed as i also have moddified my lid tray by cutting out all the metal that covered the vents and ive had no problems for the last 12 month either.

Steve..
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Just FYI, we've as yet had absoloutely no problems with water ingress reported from any of the fan kits the we've sold, and that's with a slightly bigger fan (10" as opposed to 9"). Most electronics in the engine bay are at the very least "splash proof", and those that are most sensitive to water are towards the rear of the engine bay. The fans are positioned towards the front to draw the heat way from the turbo. Jimbob's kit should be fine.

Make sure your relay is somewhere waterproof though... We've had a couple of guys make that mistake!

Rogue
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Cheer Rogue,

Got that one covered mate, could end in tears with water in the relay
Matt@Rogue

Post by Matt@Rogue »

Just leave them running constantly, all the time and water ingress shouldn't be a problem in the engine bay - you may geta damp ar$e when the next door neighbour puts a brick through your window though!!!
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Ok guys

If your confident the water issue aint a problem, ill have a set.

When they gonna be ready Jimbob?

Graeme
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

so where about are you base ?? and how much is the postage, see is it worth me to pop down save postage I dont think I need water cover as not many water will get in there, and dont like remove + put on like the t-bar panel either, but i do like the engine arm lift, also how much does it weight ? I am try to working out weight gain and lose on my car :D
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

why not just make a cover for the car electrics? I'm going to use my st205 charge cooler to protect the spark plugs! whenever I get round to fitting the darned thing of course :cry:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Answers to some questions..........

Engine Lifters - Awaiting response
Water Covers - Idea abandoned due to lack of interest
Weight - I'll weigh the finished item next week
My Location - Near Ipswich, local pickup available
The list - If you haven't put your name down please do so asap.

Closing Date 31st Jan - Deposit by the 4th to allow finishing on the 31st feb

There are 6 people so far I think maybe a couple more. As I will buy in 15 or so fans and several sheets of aluminium, I will need a deposit off everyone. The deposit will be £40 + £cost of lifter. The deposit cannot be refunded if you change your mind.

I can set up a buy on ebay, basically x fan kits at x price. The price will be the total minus the deposit and cost of lifter. Once the Kits are ready for posting I will let everyone know. You then have the option of local pickup and cash or check or completing the payment on ebay. As soon as I recieve payment I will send the Kit.

Do people think this is fair?

I can accept check paypal or direct payment.

Please let me know how you feel.

Cheers,

James
QJDynamics :wink:
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Put me down for one.
Ill send you a cheque for £40, so will need your address.

Thanks
Graeme
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

PM me about detail for wiretransfer :lol:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Jimbob wrote:
I can set up a buy on ebay, basically x fan kits at x price. The price will be the total minus the deposit and cost of lifter. Once the Kits are ready for posting I will let everyone know. You then have the option of local pickup and cash or check or completing the payment on ebay. As soon as I recieve payment I will send the Kit.

Do people think this is fair?

I can accept check paypal or direct payment.

Please let me know how you feel.

Cheers,

James
QJDynamics :wink:

can you not just email a paypal to you directly? saves the hassle of ebay
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

Jimbob you have PM :D

Return to “Modifications”