TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Post by C35Rob »

I got a little bit of time to myself yesterday so pulled the car out of the garage, my plan was to tidy the garage cause it was a mess but I ended up doing a couple of little jobs on the car too..

first up was fitting the correct amber indicators, I'd fitted clear corners last year when I bought the car and liked them at the time but soon got very bored of them and wanted to go back to ambers, but not the UK spec ones that don't look very nice! (although I have a set for mot time)

these were bought from a fellow IMOC member, and were in desperate need of a polish but they've came up nicely

I'm really happy with it, I think it transforms the look of the front end and really breaks up the mass of white, so I've also ordered some yellow headlight bulbs to match.

the only other thing I've done was to polish up the cusco braces I bought from Gullzter a few weeks back and fit new stickers to them.. little things eh?

note excellent camera work and slightly wonky sticker!

the cam cover really lets the engine bay down now - I had intended on doing it wrinkle black but think it needs to be a brighter colour now so will probably go with a silver or maybe a blue to match the cusco bits and greddy oil cap

I'm still waiting on my ECU turning up from Japan and I've ordered a CT20-T3 adaptor flange which is the first part of the parts I'll need for my planned turbo upgrade.

cheers for looking anyway :thumleft:
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Stunning car.

Makes me want another for the road!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

J-1 wrote:Stunning car.

Makes me want another for the road!

thanks very much! it means a lot to get recognition from other people with decent cars

just another little update here to keep things up to date.

I was on ebay the other day and saw a brand new apexi twin chamber bov for sale, now I've already got one fitted to the car but i'm a sucker for rare parts and I've always had a feeling the spring in mine was a bit weak, despite having max pre-load. I put a bid in at the starting price and 3 days later I won the auction - excellent!

it also came with the japanese instructions too, which is pretty cool, I like keeping bits and pieces like that with my service history and receipts

so i then removed the old one and opened it up to have a look, it was ok inside, a little bit of scoring on the piston and needed a good clean and lube up but not beyond repair by any means

I cleaned it up, gave the piston and bore a light going over with some wet and dry, greased it up and put it back together, it's now in a drawer in the garage as a spare.

the new one does feel a lot better, takes much more pressure to make it blow off which is good.

another little part that turned up today is this ct20-t3 adaptor.. yes it is an ebay part but I'm pretty confident it'll be ok, and for £35 its worth a try since the other solution is a proper tubular manifold at £1k+ which isn't really an option for this car. if I was building an out and out track car then spending 1K on a manifold and 1k+ on a modern turbo would be viable but I'm only after a quick street car so the tried and tested tdo6 route will be more than suitable.

my intention is to run a T3 flanged TD06 20g with 8cm turbine housing, with an external wastegate, power FC (already bought) and some sard 800 or 850 cc injectors - should be good for 350ish bhp on standard bottom end then eventually build a forged bottom end and shoot for 400bhp
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Sounds like a good plan mate.

PM me if you want to sell it :lol:
ashley

Post by ashley »

That adapter plate looks the business for the price, can't see that cracking in a hurry!

Great project you've got going here, reading back through it you've made some good progress in a short space of time...looking forwards to seeing what 2015 brings.

350hp...guessing that's ~1.5bar on that turbo? I see forged pistons in your future :mrgreen:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

J-1 - everything is for sale, but since the car owes me around £13k up to now it would take a pretty silly offer to prise it away from me!, I can't see myself ever selling it since people expect to pick up a nice rev 3 for £2k these days

Cheers for the comments Ashley, judging by the dyno plots on the 2bartuning site I should be able to achieve 350bhp with 1.2 bar, 850's and a power FC..., I don't really want to go for a BMIC so may end up with water/meth or an engine bay charge cooler like yours, I don't expect it to last forever on std internals but with sensible cyl temps and lower ex manifold back pressure due to the larger turbo it shouldn't implode straight away, and I cover less than 2k a year in it so we shall see.. But inevitably it will need a built motor at some point.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

still very much in the parts collecting phase here, but with insurance due on my daily and import duty & vat soon to be due on my Laurel there's been no major progress.

this arrived today

which is another piece in the turbo upgrade puzzle,

I'm split between two turbos at the min.. either a TD06 20g with 8cm hot side, the same specs as the greddy kit or to go for a slightly bigger TD06 with a garrett 60-1 compressor wheel and a 10cm hot side which will be a bit slower to get going, but more efficient at high boost and leave some head room for future upgrades??

this turned up today too, my new inlet air temp gauge - tested here with the probe placed in the freezer

and a few seconds after taking it out

I think I'll mount it in the ashtray area, as the brightness can't be altered and it may be a distraction at night if it was in my line of sight.

Cheers for looking
craig

Post by craig »

What's the refresh rate on that inlet air temp sensor?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

RedMR² wrote:What's the refresh rate on that inlet air temp sensor?

300ms apparently
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

You got a side on pic of it? I have a fairly decent (and expensive) one but i'm not keen on the shape of it, it's too long :(
craig

Post by craig »

Rob85 wrote:
RedMR² wrote:What's the refresh rate on that inlet air temp sensor?

300ms apparently

Yeah, from memory the SPA thermocouple IAT sensor is about 4 times a second refresh.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

it's 48x28x19mm

I was going to get another one with red digits for before the intercooler, but decided against it, as it's pretty irrelevant as long as what comes out is cool enough.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

sweet man, mine is waaaay longer than that, got a link to where you bought it from?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

pm sent..
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Rob85 wrote:pm sent..

Thanks for that man :thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

more new (used) toys today!

this just arrived, so obviously I plugged it and started the car just to make sure all is well, which it is so I'm happy

now I'm torn, do I really need a hand commander? or should I just buy a datalogit instead?
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

Rob85 wrote:

another little part that turned up today is this ct20-t3 adaptor.. yes it is an ebay part but I'm pretty confident it'll be ok, and for £35 its worth a try since the other solution is a proper tubular manifold at £1k+ which isn't really an option for this car. if I was building an out and out track car then spending 1K on a manifold and 1k+ on a modern turbo would be viable but I'm only after a quick street car so the tried and tested tdo6 route will be more than suitable.

my intention is to run a T3 flanged TD06 20g with 8cm turbine housing, with an external wastegate, power FC (already bought) and some sard 800 or 850 cc injectors - should be good for 350ish bhp on standard bottom end then eventually build a forged bottom end and shoot for 400bhp

have you tried the adapter? ive read that they dont fit, well they do, but the turbo will foul the clutch slave cylinder once mounted..
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Not tried it as I've not bought a turbo yet but there's plenty of pics of cars with them fitted, bob hattons lad had a Chinese T3/T4 fitted with one.

I have no concerns about it tbh.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

Rob85 wrote:Not tried it as I've not bought a turbo yet but there's plenty of pics of cars with them fitted, bob hattons lad had a Chinese T3/T4 fitted with one.

ok cool, im just going on a few topics ive read on here. I hope they do fit. ive just seen bob hattons sons pics.. do you have any more pics to share?

sorry for taking your profile off topic btw.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

rev3turbo wrote:
Rob85 wrote:Not tried it as I've not bought a turbo yet but there's plenty of pics of cars with them fitted, bob hattons lad had a Chinese T3/T4 fitted with one.

ok cool, im just going on a few topics ive read on here. I hope they do fit. ive just seen bob hattons sons pics.. do you have any more pics to share?

sorry for taking your profile off topic btw.

No problem, I'm always happy to discuss my project/plans

do you mean more pics of my car or more pics of said adaptor?

Return to “Member Profiles”