Castle Combe Open Pitlane Trackday - 28th April

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

takman

Re: Castle Combe Open Pitlane Trackday - 28th April

Post by takman »

i just recently bought an mr2 and I would be interested....

the thing is that i bought for a track only car, so it would need to be trailered there....however i dont have a trailer, and i cant hire one because i have a non UK license ( E.U though).....however I'm in the process now of getting my uk license.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Looking at the entry list, noticed theres another mr2 on the list now! Also a ford galaxy :shock:
vinp182

Post by vinp182 »

Is it Alex Knight? 2zz powered mk3 :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Race Idiot wrote:Looking at the entry list, noticed theres another mr2 on the list now! Also a ford galaxy :shock:

And a Radical, Atom and ADR.......

I just need to find someone to take the kids to nursery and I'm in.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
JD

Post by JD »

Race Idiot wrote:Also a ford galaxy :shock:

I've long had my suspicions that they were a track-focussed car. The harshest ride I've ever experienced was in the back of a Ford Galaxy - not suitable for the road at all. Of course this may have been due to it being a cheapo cab provided by some tinpot company I worked for once. 45 minutes of stomach-churning, bone-shaking discomfort.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Unless he means one of these:

In which case I'm definitely begging for a passenger ride :D

Well the source if a slightly worrying vibration on the SC has been found and fixed ( loose bolt on the air-con compressor #-o ) and she's booked in for some fresh oil and brake-fluid next week. Really looking forward to this now \:D/
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
Ben

Post by Ben »

Confirmation email came through today \:D/
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Sadly the Green beast will not be attending :(

No reason except I'm too busy to get all the pre-checks and finishing touches ready for Monday.

Hope everyone has a good day, and will be keeping my eye out for the pics (and also the next planned outing).
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Just checked, got my confirmation too.

Just gotta get my rear calipers sorted! Are you guys going in convoy or are we gonna meet up at the track?
JD

Post by JD »

A good thrashing will probably unstick it anyway and if it's just the sliders and you can just have some rubber grease handy to make sure it doesn't stick again on the way home (don't listen to me) :)

Sadly I cannot attend as I have some family commitments. Have a good time everyone!
Ben

Post by Ben »

I've kinda lost track of who's coming now! Sorry you cant come Shmed and JD :(

Pete is driving up from Kent on Sunday night and staying with me, we'll be leaving Wallingford at about 6.30 with an intention of getting there for 7.30-8ish.

Assuming you're going along the M4, we could meet at Chievely Services (J13)? Say 7ish?

Previous:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

yep got mine today too :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Sounds good to me!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Cool! Will pm you my number :thumleft:

Previous:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

So? Weather seemed ok... How was it ? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well sadly the Galaxy never turned up :(

Excellent day all round though! I was pretty nervous in the morning, it rained overnight and when we arrived the track was veeery greasy. After the sighting laps I felt a little more confident - the track was beginning to dry out and by taking things very gently at first I was able to get a decent feel for how the car handles on the limit in the wet (handles well enough, but absolutely sod-all grip!).

My first session started out very tentative, but as the track started drying out I got a little more confident. After about 4-5 laps I found I was starting to catch up with Pete (who was still warming up I suspect!) which was all very well until I came to Quarry corner, whuch had a dry entrance and, as it turned out, a wet exit...

No damage, fortunately! Sadly the same couldn't be said for a chap in a track-prepped E36 M3 which had a big off shortly after and red-flagged the session :S

After a bit of a breather (to recover!) the track dried out and I managed to get some good laps in. Combe is a hugely fun and fast circuit, but after my initial off I was very conscious of the ever-present barriers so it took a while to get comfortable with the circuit. I got there in the end though with a couple of really fun and satisfying stints after lunch where I was learning to adapt to and make the most of the track layout and 'interesting' camber here and there!

An excellent day all round and the SC behaved impeccably as ever :)

Previous:
hoagy5

Post by hoagy5 »

You were lucky to miss that marshall's post! looks like you had a good day though and the SC certainly looks the part on track!
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Man I was knackered when I got home last night, took it pretty easy on the way back home.

Being chased down by Alex in the incredibly fast 2zz mk3!

Somehow I always ended up around Mi16 swapped 205s, their suspension looked scary on the curved main straight.

I managed to half spin the car coming out of the chicaine before camp by putting a wheel in the grass. For a a second I was looking at the armco, but I countersteered and managed to come to a halt facing away from it in the grass. No harm done apart from being a bit shaken!

The gloomy dark weather cleared up at about 2pm and I managed to get my best session in. Feeling like I was able to push the car much harder than I was before. I wanted to go out for one more after that but it started p1$$ing down so we called it a day!

Annoyingly the brake pedal went a bit long but it didnt feel like i'd lost any retardation. Also I cant wait to get this old turbo off, because the damn thing kept smoking after idling for any period.

Overall a brilliant day and it was great to meet everyone! :thumleft:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Good write ups and great pictures and that was a scary off at quarry Ben just how far away from the barrier did you stop? :thumleft: and Brett, if you ever sell that car I want to buy that registration number - my initials!!!!!
Ben

Post by Ben »

Cheers Martin. It honestly looks worse than it was, there was at least ten feet between the front of my car and the tyre wall. Still, enough to scare me when sliding across wet grass! :lol:

Previous:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”