Getting there.. My "600whp" cashpit! WARNING LOTS OF PICS!

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

T.F.S.

Re: Getting there.. My "600whp" cashpit! WARNING LOTS OF PICS!

Post by T.F.S. »

Awesome mate.
craig

Post by craig »

RyanRs wrote:Well, little bit of an update as i see i have not posted anything up in a while.

Added a AEM wideband kit, polybushed all the lower arms.

Got up to see Ryan.G for some tuning and made some good numbers however ran into a brick wall when the fuel pump decided to throw a tantrum! We got as far as 1.7 bar of boost and the pump just randomly started dropping its pressure sending the AFR dangerously lean. If left for 10 min to cool down it would work fine for about 4~5 pulls but then without warning the pressure would just fall off! Turned out the pump (a bosh 044) had an internal electrical fault!

Heres the dyno for that day anyway..

Shame didn't quite reach 500 on the dyno, Ryan said it was pretty pointless upping the boost any more as it just wasn't worth risking it with the pump playing around like it was, however he reckons the dyno under reads by about 10 bhp on the mr2s due to airflow differences.

Well, new pump is on there now and i have had to brace up the exhaust manifold after i nearly lost the wastegate due to some serious cracking :shock: So, shall get back up to Mr.G soon hopefully for another half a bar of boost programmed in! and hopefully over 600bhp :P

Congrats mate, I'd be well happy with that!! :clap:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Ill be happier when theres another half bar of boost in there ;D
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RyanRs wrote:Ill be happier when theres another half bar of boost in there ;D

So will we. If for no other reason than to see the numbers :mrgreen:
Jasonb123

Post by Jasonb123 »

That's a very tidy car :0). Lookin toward 2 seeing what it does as it about identicle spec 2 mine! I ended up with a 255lph fuel pump and Msd to up fuel pump voltage under boost.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Jasonb123 wrote:That's a very tidy car :0). Lookin toward 2 seeing what it does as it about identicle spec 2 mine! I ended up with a 255lph fuel pump and Msd to up fuel pump voltage under boost.

Cheers dude :D im hoping to clear another 100bhp with just over 2bar, Being a HTA turbo and not a standard GT35r it flows more max and its efficiency area is in the 2~3 bar range, so im only just touching on what it can do at 1.7bar.

You are going to want to upgrade that 255lph fuel pump tho dude, that will not get you far at all. My 044 bosh is 302lph and i have been considering fitting a second one for quite some time now! Im preying it can hold pressure at 2bar of boost. I also hope 1200cc is enough injector for 600bhp else ill be going bigger on them too :/ perhaps some of them 2000cc's ;D
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Some good power ..

I bet it shreds through tyres though...

Mines at 400hp at low boost and it makes light work in 1st and 2nd of my 235 Eagle F1s.

255 R888s are on tonight tho =P~
Last edited by Rob B on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Well tbh i have never changed a tyre on the car in the 6 years i've had it! well, slight lie, about 5 years ago i got 3 SP sport 3000's 245/40/17 off a friend for £20! they were runners off a company bmw with about 5.5mm tread on them. Figured they be better than the 225/45/17s currently on the back already so changed them.
Still on them now! and still have a spare :p ..they do light up quite easily in 1st and 2nd lil in 3rd. still have about 0.5mm life left..

Its strange however as my car seems to stick to the floor very well, compared to what Mel was describing about his which is running 50hp less and same tyres. he tells me his is quite unstable out of the corners and spins easy in 3rd. He see me take off from a roundabout and up a carrage way last weekend and said that had it been his car, it would likely have spun, mine just stepped out a little bit :s odd!

Let me know how u get on with the r888s cos im considering some in 285 width.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

Will do.......Its raining outside :(
Jasonb123

Post by Jasonb123 »

I run 2 bar on hks injectors 1000cc with the Msd. Fensport mapped it and said its safe. I'd only up it if i put 272's in it, I'd probly go for a bit more boost then. My mate did 635 on 1000cc injectors! Wish my bay was as clean as yours tho!! I do run water meth so I suppose that aids cooling so less fuel is required.
ashley

Post by ashley »

RyanRs wrote:
GT3582r

This is the FP HTA modified version which has a different compressor housing and a Billet compressor wheel for more airflow and faster spool!

What size exhaust housing have you gone for on this mate, 0.63 or 0.82?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Im using the .82 housing dude, considered the .63 for about half a second but it would have been pointless when the cold side of the turbo is designed to run at such high pressure, .63 would have just been far too restrictive.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Makes sense, cheers :thumleft:
Moo

Post by Moo »

Epic build :clap: That engine bay looks absolutely amazing =P~

It's amazing what you've managed to achieve. Very impressive :thumleft:
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Cheers Paul nice one dude :D Looking forward to seeing yours finished soon too!
Moo

Post by Moo »

Shouldn't be much longer now :)
ashley

Post by ashley »

Ryan- just seen your engine bay pop up on facebook, posted by Garrett...

Famous!

:lol:
scleary121

Post by scleary121 »

great thread
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Little update..

Got the boost up to 1.85 bar and made some new numbers. The dyno reading is somewhat inaccurate however as we had some serious problems keeping the car on the dyno when it hit power! It was held down with two lorry ratchets on a frame that pulls back as the car tries to pull forward and two chocks under the front wheels however this was nowhere near enough to keep the car on the rollers! we added another 2 ratchets however this must have added an awful lot of load on the engine as the suspension was compressed right down to the point where the tyre was constantly rubbing on the arch and the tyre was slightly bulging! On top of this, we had to have the main 'Bomb-proof' doors shut due to the noise of the car and therefore the ambient temp was well in the 30'c + . We struggled to keep the IC cool due to this and lack of streamline airflow that the car would normally get on the road. Because of this the IAT's hit a peak of 52'c.

Anyway tho, New dyno:

Couple of clips of it trying to escape!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N9FRu6uVJs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7WajiU3MwY

On one run, i believe ryan upped the boost to beyond 2 bar and te line was climbing well away from the line on this graph, looked like it was heading for 570 ish! but the car took another leap for freedom off the rollers and we decided to call it a day :( Ryan does reckon tho that the dyno printed above is prob a good 5%~10% less than its actual road figure.

Also..
New brakes (Nissan 300zx 4-pots, Ally calipers. 3.2kg each!! & on 324mm disc)

And couple of pics of the car & engine bay as it is at the moment 8)

Ryan about to take me out for a spin, it will be the first time i have ever been taken for a spin in my own car!! :shock:
Finally myself driving looking cool in me ray bans 8) and co-pilot Aaron looking like a norm :D

Verdict for now:-

I do think its time to loose the stock rev3 cams as i think the power band is far too short. I don't think ill mind sacrificing a few hundred more rpms too spool if it means i can make some more mid~top power and be able to increase the redline to 8,300 which is where i intended it to be. @7,400rpm, redline just comes along far too fast atm and often results in ecu Hard cut which smoke screens whoever is behind me in black smoke!! Secondly i now understand why supercars run 305+ wide tyres on the rear! I am on 245's and they are just far too small. 2nd gear is practically unusable to accelerate in as even on a hot sticky day they just light up as soon as i hit 4,500 rpm. 3rd gear feels unstable and looses / catches traction through the power band and 4th feels like it 'could' possibly light up in the wet! :shock: So, some fender flares and 285 R888's will be on order soon!
driving in general tho, car is still quite user friendly, still drives off boost like it did when it was on a hybrid ct20b. Obv i have to remember i have the extra power when overtaking now as a couple of times i got caught out, half way through an overtaking manoeuvre and suddenly the wheels light up on me!! Now i tend to build the speed then over take on over-run.
Only major downside since my last tune is how much the fuel consumption has gone up! I know there is no ignition timing advance added to the map now so the the extra power over my last tune up is purely made from more boost. I do believe that replacing ign timing advance with boost = less efficient way of making power and more fuel is required to compensate?? Does this make sense? or am i wrong?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Nice.. when Ive finished college etc Im going to get another MR2 again as a project car I think... Builds like this just make me want to do it and since I stripped my MR2 I know how to take it all apart etc now.

Ive also started stripping my stock Rev2 Turbo engine down to see what does what etc and how bits come apart, its actaully quite basic looking once you get inside an engine...

I have all the tools as well except 1 socket, the one used for the driveshaft nut so if I do get one I know i do have everything somewhere in the mess of a tool box lol.

bet you cant wait to get cams in

Return to “Member Profiles”