V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

V6? V8? TDI? Discussion and technical advice for engine transplants inc. 5SFE & 5SGTE builds. Not for N/A to Turbo, or Rev1/2 to 3+ conversions.
Project and build threads welcome.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

trunks_mk1

Re: V8 Mk1 6 speed with power steering

Post by trunks_mk1 »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Glad you're enjoying the build :thumleft:

and when your done i'll have the exact same to mine please! :p
jules70

Post by jules70 »

Have you still got the mobile lift ? (sorry havent been on for a while) Had a bit of a conversation with you about it, as far back as last november after looking back thro the thread !

cheers
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Oof Trunks, you got deep pockets? :D

Sorry Jules the mobile lift is sold, i offered it for sale here before putting it on Ebay where it sold on the first listing day, a cracking bit of kit that was.
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

I WISH!

I'm am hoping to use your services next year but doubt it will be for one of these transplants!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ah good stuff, i'd hate for there to be more than one of these anyway, i'd then have to go more extreme again. :D
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Turbos! \:D/
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Naaa.... supercharger for the win :thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

....you still working on this mate, or have you shelved it for the winter?
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No she's in the spray booth getting the bodywork done, it's going to take all winter to get the body how i want it, but all that's happening is sanding and stuff so it's not worth updating about.

Mechanically i have nothing left to do.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Well the natives were getting restless so i thought it was time to update with progress, but don't blame me if it's a boring one, sanding, fibreglass mating and filling and then more sanding is not exactly riveting stuff!

I have started to get the correct profile on my arches, these were fitted about 2 years ago but i never got round to sorting their final shape, so i've cut them to create a tapered arch lip, much like Tiggers arches.

I've also started glassing in the sideskirts, these are getting flush blended and need the extra strength to prevent cracking.

I've glassed the sideskirt into the rear arch as well, this stuff is just structural at the mo, the final shaping will make it all come together.

Now on the rear i have extended my arches down to meet the rear bumper, this is an area that i can't make my mind up about....

I need to decide on a final profile for the bottom arch edge... i personally favour this one at the moment...

Then there's this...

And this... which is my least favourite.

Lots more sanding being done next week, i really want this car into its final paint quickly in time for the show season.
MartG

Post by MartG »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
I need to decide on a final profile for the bottom arch edge... i personally favour this one at the moment...

I agree - looks like the bottom edge sits roughly where the OEM mudflaps did, so good for keeping spray down in the wet :thumleft:
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

+1 wot he said :clap: also for the front too.

Alan
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Cheers chaps, everyone is saying the same thing on other forums so i'll go with that :thumleft:
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

how are your wheels so side? have you got spacers on or is that the tye/style of the wheel?
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

MartG wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:

I agree - looks like the bottom edge sits roughly where the OEM mudflaps did, so good for keeping spray down in the wet :thumleft:

Just saw this Paul, and that is deffo my favourite option too. :thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

trunks_mk1 wrote:how are your wheels so wide? have you got spacers on or is that the tye/style of the wheel?

The rears are 10" wide rims and also have a 2" dish on them plus some negative offset, the only reason i've gone with 10" is because of the V8.

Cheers Max, i think that is what i will end up going with.
aw11rally

Rear arch profile

Post by aw11rally »

I'm stuck between 1st and 2nd. I think the bottom edge if the arch should follow the same angle as the bottom edge of the rear bumper/valance.

I can't work out which pic does so maybe I'd go for 1.5.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Today saw a decision made on the rear arch lower lip profile, i decided to go halfway between option 1 and 2, that seemed to be the general opinion....

Also started work on blending out the rear bumper swage, the body on this car is going to be a smooth and uncluttered as possible.

Most of the work today went into this area, i sanded back the structural fibral and started getting the final shape right with thin skims of filler...

This area will need 4 to 5 skims and flats to get it somewhere near before the high build primer goes on, that's when the real work starts!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Mini update, work still progressing on the car albeit slowly, i got my rollcage finished and painted, this just needs welding into the cabin.

I've gone with white to match the white piping on my black leather bucket seats. (Jays idea)
alfiembra

Post by alfiembra »

PW@Woodsport wrote:

Paul how about this for an idea from the back view I personally think you need something like a diffuser between the tailpipes. To me it would clean up the lines and conceal your gearbox mount a bit. Something along the lines of the current ford focus model with small wings between vertical supports.

Just a thought feel free to shoot it down

Alan

Return to “MR2 Engine Swaps”