JAE 2008?

Thinking of arranging an event, looking for an event in an area - ask in here!

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

Re: JAE 2008?

Post by michael »

http://www.japcarclub.com/jae/forums/in ... c=732&st=0

We have now found JAE's new permanent home and confirmed the venue and dates for the next 3 years.

JAE's new permanent home for 2008 and beyond will be at Mersea Island which just outside Colchester

29-31 August.

Might as well be in France as far as I'm concerned, the last time I drove to Colchester is was an absolute horror.

Don't forget to pack plenty of cleaning stuff to get all that salt water off the cars / wheels and good luck with those tides, tiny roads etc.
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

michael wrote:http://www.japcarclub.com/jae/forums/in ... c=732&st=0

We have now found JAE's new permanent home and confirmed the venue and dates for the next 3 years.

JAE's new permanent home for 2008 and beyond will be at Mersea Island which just outside Colchester

29-31 August.

Might as well be in France as far as I'm concerned, the last time I drove to Colchester is was an absolute horror.

Don't forget to pack plenty of cleaning stuff to get all that salt water off the cars / wheels and good luck with those tides, tiny roads etc.

Have to agree with you there Michael, it's making it 8-10 hrs driving maybe more for peeps North of the Border. I would have liked to have it more central. But fair do's for the event going ahead. Don't think I'll be going this year.
michael

Post by michael »

I already have plans for that weekend as it happens (the only weekend of the year where I do - typical!) but I doubt I'd go anyway, I'll see how it goes this year but the thought of a journey like that on the August Bank Holiday doesn't fill me with glee :)

Even more so if there is a high tide and I'm stuck in a queue with 100's of Japanese cars and all the normal tourist traffic.
Leakie Tbar

Post by Leakie Tbar »

There having a feckin laugh arnt they Colchester what happend to Central

Good going to them for sorting it out but WTF half the modified cars wont make it.

7hrs drive from Newcastle
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Come on guys, lets get behind this 100% John & the JAE team have worked really hard to get 2008 off the ground, ok the location isnt central but they were never gonna please 100% of the people 100% if the time, ok its only around 50 miles from me , but to be honest if it was further away i would still travel to enjoy what is the best event of the MK1 calendar to meet old & new mates, we all moaned about the lack of trees & things to do Mersea Island is not only a gorgeous place but there will be loads to do & we have an extra day in which to do it, its all win, win as far as i can see, so lets get in JAE mode & really enjoy it :thumleft: , Jinxy
Johnny G

Post by Johnny G »

I think it's easy to say get behind if:

1) you live in the south
2) you have no plans for that weekend
3) you are able to easily juggle commitments.

Every is pro-JAE in principle, but the harsh reality is that some people cannot afford

a) the 500-600 mile round trip
b) an extra couple of days from work

I'm undecided. I normally am on holiday that weekend. I don't think I'll be in a hurry to swap a holiday abroad for Colchester...
3.4ltr V6 Turbo. Built by Woodsport. Controlled by Syvecs, mapped by Ryan. 420bhp @ 0.7bar from 2400rpm
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Yep fully understand that its going to harder for some people & with my job i guess i do overlook how harder it is for people to get time off so i stand corrected, but nearly everyone moaned that they were not happy with what JAE had to offer since it was held at Peterborough & unless the new site was next door to the showground any new location was gong to upset someone or another, but this is a return to the atmosphere & heyday of Billing, lots to do & a great location & the fact that there is a JAE 2008 is a mirracle in itself so from that point of view i stand by my comments above. If it turns out to be a flop well maybe they will have to look at other alternatives again next year, If however it turns out to be a huge success then i guarantee many people will be better prepared for JAE 2009 & the attendance will be bigger than ever.... only time will tell, but you can be sure it will be well document what ever happens, Jinxy
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

Hear Hear Jinxy! :thumleft:

Don't forget peeps, attendance is optional!
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

I have started a new thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88852

This will be the JAE 2008 thread. All details as and when we get them will be posted on here.

I suppose initially we need to start to gather a list of names.
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

I must say i am dissapointed in the venue location, but happy the event is still on.

shame thay have secured this location for 3 years too, as i thought more time spent looking/booking a central one would be better. (stoneliegh maybe?)

however....

we must start the ball rolling:

Date: 29th - 31st Aug (an extra day)

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?#t=l&map= ... a%20Island

Jae forum:
http://www.japcarclub.com/jae/forums/in ... wtopic=732
jimi

Post by jimi »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:Come on guys, lets get behind this 100% John & the JAE team have worked really hard to get 2008 off the ground, ok the location isnt central but they were never gonna please 100% of the people 100% if the time, ok its only around 50 miles from me , but to be honest if it was further away i would still travel to enjoy what is the best event of the MK1 calendar to meet old & new mates, we all moaned about the lack of trees & things to do Mersea Island is not only a gorgeous place but there will be loads to do & we have an extra day in which to do it, its all win, win as far as i can see, so lets get in JAE mode & really enjoy it :thumleft: , Jinxy

That's easy to say when it's only an extra 50 miles, try saying when it's now a 1000 mile round trip and 4 days away :(
Their decision doesn't show much consideration for all the peeps from the North who have supported JAE over the years does it ?
I reckon they have killed it for us up here :cry: so sad, I was looking forward to it again this year.
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
michael

Post by michael »

Northern folks could always get behind the Rising Sun show:

http://www.risingsuncarshow.co.uk
MRV6

Post by MRV6 »

We are looking at alternative venues Michael.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

jimi wrote:That's easy to say when it's only an extra 50 miles, try saying when it's now a 1000 mile round trip and 4 days away :(
Their decision doesn't show much consideration for all the peeps from the North who have supported JAE over the years does it ?
I reckon they have killed it for us up here :cry: so sad, I was looking forward to it again this year.
Jimi

How does it show an inconsiderate attitude?

They had to find somewhere and you'll find most venues are booked several years in advance to cater for a show of JAE's magnitude.

Its simple, you either go or you don't.

I've done the 660 mile round trip to York in a day to attend TOTB.

I've done the JAE 450 - 500 mile round trip for the last five years.

Even though I live in the South it will take me longer.

To behonest I'll take a longer journey with a longer show than no show at all.

Bottom line is they can't please everyone and they needed a venue.

They found a venue, the show survives.

Maybe in the future they will find somewhere better.

But for now, its Mersea Island.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
coverco

Post by coverco »

I am also disappointed with the choice of venue, the fact that they had to find somewhere at short notice must have limited the choice, but by booking it for 3 years they are in my opinion showing contempt for the Northern people.

Adding a day is great if you can spare the time, and who thought that the August bank holiday was a good time to hold a car show when driving anywhere is an absolute nightmare.

JAE 2007 was a great event, even with the appalling weather but this choice of venue for 3 years is in my opinion a mistake.

Having said all that I will still try to be there :thumleft:
coverco

Post by coverco »

Tiamat wrote:

Its simple, you either go or you don't.

Quite right, and if a lot of people choose the latter option there will be no JAE next year. Did you by any chance study at the Adolf Hitler school of diplomacy :D
John R

Post by John R »

Too far for me, sorry.

John
redmk1

Post by redmk1 »

ok im late,but mersea island is it really an island???
coverco

Post by coverco »

redmk1 wrote:ok im late,but mersea island is it really an island???

Yes :D
redmk1

Post by redmk1 »

so i nice little fishing village is going to be over run with jap cars? is it a big place?

Return to “Events Discussion”