The Mule

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: The Mule

Post by Martin F »

Odin_S wrote:48 degrees aint that bad, dread to think what mine is at? To be honest PP SMIC isnt that bad, i just don't want to be running more than 1.7bar boost,

I want 400bhp and just over with as low boost pressure as possible

Does a CC not have a fan blowing cold air when stuck in traffic?

No, i put a couple fans on my last mr2 rad that had a similar set up via a switch. I don't come across traffic much and when i do it doesn't leave me in a position where i want to accelerate hard anyway...
In my instance the radtec seems to work fine, however the bigger core i bought will give me similar power at lower boost levels. I might get a dyno reading simply at 1.6 bar to see what the difference is in power, maybe :-k
craig

Post by craig »

2mad wrote:If you do a full chat pull and 3 starts your iat reading your winning .. if you want lower fit water/meth :thumleft:

Ps. fitting heat reflective/prof matting between the cc and head works .. gt4oc info :thumleft:

Yep. There's heat proof matting between my charge cooler and the cam cover :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Trial fit, just need to order a few more pipes and some mikalor clamps then enjoy the summer before fitting...

Remember i have the high engine cover, it closes no problem so i have the room, so i think this will be my first choice of location, doubt anything better will pop up...
Very handy having that box full of pipes from the bootmount, has everything i need and more... :D
I do feel a bit guilty changing things as the engine bay looks great, however i am the only person that sees it, will try and do a tidy install though, just out of respect for MagicBeans :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin wrote:

will try and do a tidy install though, just out of respect for MagicBeans :thumleft:

And the mule Martin and the mule :lol: ... cant wait to see the final instal :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

After quite a lot of buying, measuring, then more buying i have finally got all the bits i need to fit the new chargecooler core, could be the start of an expensive downfall....
Thinking out loud, why change something that runs and works so well, :-k , for the sake of more bhp ](*,) , being a man does have it's downfalls :lol:

I will post once the new charge cooler is fitted and again once it has been on the dyno and had the boost raised, for now though, here is a quick video of the 'mule' as she stands today, including a 2nd gear and 3rd gear pull at 1.5 bar... :thumleft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0cZrFS3tM
Last edited by Martin F on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
J-1

Post by J-1 »

Sounds great! Goes well too! :mrgreen:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

J-1 wrote:Sounds great! Goes well too! :mrgreen:

The Sheepdog exhaust is by far the best sounding exhaust i have heard on any mr2, i really need to find a narrow road between buildings to get the sound picked up properly :-k , Dare i say it, :-k , almost sounds in the V6 territory 8)

That's at roughly 2k-4k revs Btw, anything else is drowned out by the Screamer ](*,)
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

That turbo sound is insane!!!
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

the new CC install looks good, you may want to try to get some tight radius mandrel bends to replace those pie cut sections as they will flow better, but it's not a big issue.

also, when you initially fill and bleed the system, you may want to "rock" the core to make sure you don't get an air pocket in the top part where it (looks like) it's sitting on an angle.

either way, it looks like it should work well, better to have it there than getting warmed up sitting on top of the engine. theoretically a shorter inlet tract is beneficial but real world the difference is minuscule and totally not noticeable at all.. you never hear anyone with a big FMIC on their car moaning about "lag" from long inlet pipework. one day when I'm bored I might bother to work out how many milliseconds it'd take to "fill" an extra metre of 3" charge pipe.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
craig

Post by craig »

Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:better to have it there than getting warmed up sitting on top of the engine.

Negligible in my opinion. My chargecooler sits on heat proof matting between cam cover and charge cooler core. Simon hicks had no problem with it there, running 530bhp. He also took best in class 2 years on the bounce at Brighton speed trials.

In addition, after a rather spirited run up col d'aubisque on the Le Mans trip, my core was nice and cold.
rev3turbo

Post by rev3turbo »

My cc is above the engine. Even in the other weeks high temps of 27°c. My charge cooler coolant temps were still in the mid 30s and the core was cool to touch. It's all about lagging and keeping the heat in the turbo and the heat out of the cc core. Blankets, lagging and fans work wonders
ashley

Post by ashley »

what size is your boost pipework Martin? I've got some spare mandrel bent ali that might help you out...
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

ashley wrote:what size is your boost pipework Martin? I've got some spare mandrel bent ali that might help you out...

3" ashley...

I just bought a 90 degree one from ebay for £18, that goes from the cooler to the turbo though, not really to fussed about the other side, unlikely it would make any noticeable difference, if however i was a perfectionist i am sure a deal could be done :wink:

cheers dude :thumleft:
Nails

Post by Nails »

RedMR² wrote:
Rob - East Coast Imports wrote:better to have it there than getting warmed up sitting on top of the engine.

Negligible in my opinion. My chargecooler sits on heat proof matting between cam cover and charge cooler core. Simon hicks had no problem with it there, running 530bhp. He also took best in class 2 years on the bounce at Brighton speed trials.

In addition, after a rather spirited run up col d'aubisque on the Le Mans trip, my core was nice and cold.

just becuase it works well now doesnt mean it cant be better though does it? Most mods are all about the little things and they all add up. Sure sitting on a heat resistant matting isn't a bad thing but if you've got the space to raise it up away from heat sources and into the airflow makes sense. Its not just the core of thats benefiting from the move either as the boost pipes now have more space around them too.

nice vid martin. I had my 3 year old son and almost 2 year old nephew on my knee watching it to when they heard it. They were suitably impressed also. You can tell it doesnt spool till later but really comes in hard when it does.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Mega turbo whistle .. no need for a stereo in this car :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

I been around a lot of lemans track in this car...

Yes its awesome.. Filling it through Spanish tunnels with the screamer.. Almost sounded as good as the aircooled 911 with straight out exhausts
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Still find myself reading through this thread and thinking to myself "That engine bay looks familiar?!" :lol:

That turbo noise! I do still kinda miss it.. Especially the screamer. It's shouty and excessive, but it made me smile everytime :D

Still following with interest :thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

That turbo noise is pant wettingly arrrrrrsome!!
Great machine :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Magic Beans wrote:Still find myself reading through this thread and thinking to myself "That engine bay looks familiar?!" :lol:

That turbo noise! I do still kinda miss it.. Especially the screamer. It's shouty and excessive, but it made me smile everytime :D

Still following with interest :thumleft:

Very Happy with the new chargecooler core, filled it with water and borrowed my sisters hair dryer, even on the hottest setting cold air was still coming out off the other end after 5 minutes. (my sister insisted on turning the hairdryer off at this point because it was overheating, lol, chargecooler 1, hairdryer 0)
To put this into comparison, i did a similar test many years ago with an xs power intercooler, that lasted less than 20 seconds before the air started drastically heating up :shock:

I was sent the wrong silicone pipes by a company on ebay , who then refused to send what i ordered until they received their mistake back, that was 4 weeks ago and i am still waiting. I have now sourced everything else required for install, including changing all the silicone hoses to black and buying an appropriate valve for bleeding air from the core.

I am confident the mule will be seeing similar power at 1.3 or 1.4 bar as she was seeing at 1.6 bar simply by using this chargecooler core.

My plan is simply to get a nice map running 1.8 bar with full intentions of having either the boost controller turned off or running around 1.4 bar (whatever gets me into the 400 bhp range).
I will have the high setting of 1.8 bar for either that special occasion or just because, anyway, clutch has started to slip if i am on full throttle and changing up a gear so my higher boost, remap and fitting of this chargecooler core will be put on hold until march 2016.

I plan on lowering the boost on it's current set up and enjoying the mr2 for whats left of the summer, or until the clutch can't hold that boost.

Don't drive it much anyway so pretty confident i can avoid any more slippage from the clutch, it holds in every gear, just doesn't like a high revving gear change then WOT :lol:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

What size boost pipe are you needing? I have all mine here but would gladly send you one one loan for now. I have a reducer as well, 3" to 2". Let me know :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”