TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: TOM'S 96 Rev 3 GTS - BREAK ME UP, BEFORE YOU GO GO

Post by C35Rob »

well,

the bomex wing is going to take more work than I thought when i ordered it.. basically the aerial hole isn't where it should be

when the spoiler is sat on the boot lid where it should be this is where the aerial hole sits

with the hole lined up over the aerial this is where the spoiler sits

which is thoroughly depressing...

if you look at a genuine bomex here:

you can see the spoiler hole is about 1/2" away from where my hole is.. cunning really, as if it were in the same place on my wing then it'd line up with my aerial!

I sent the pics to the manufacturer and they said it fitted their car fine..

obviously my MR2 must have had the rare factory option of an aerial 1/2" to the right :roll:

other than that it's not too bad though..

I think I'll fill the aerial hole and remove my aerial, I never turn the wireless on anyway.
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I think that the rev 3+ ariel holes are in a slightly different position than the rev 1-2 models. My genuine Toms spoiler has the same problem as it's for rev2 apparently. It's in for paint at the moment so the painter is going to reposition the hole for me so it lines up.

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

It would seem you're correct... That's unfortunate, well I found the 5" backing pad for my DA earlier so I'm going to crack on and get it ready for paint anyway..
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Big-ish update incoming.. it's been an emotional few days to be honest, after deciding to farm out the painting of my toms kit to a local bodyshop that came highly recommended (had to go back to work so time was against me) I was nervous all last week.. other peoples work is very rarely up to my standards and I was scared that despite stressing that quality was a much higher priority than cost that the job would leave me deflated.. over the last couple of days I've had quite a bit of dummy-spitting and much contemplating selling the car!!

To be honest, the actual paint finish is quite good, it's a gun finish so not perfectly flat as if it had been wet sanded but still, not bad, and in keeping with the rest of the car. To be honest I'm a little disappointed with the fit of the kit, especially for a genuine one, it's on now and lines up nicely but getting it there was far from straight forward..

as I collected it from the bodyshop

here's the front bumper rested in place

the original trim piece from the passenger side of the car was damaged so I got a replacement and painted it up myself

and removed the back bumper.. perfectly straight and zero rust as usual..

the back bumper was the worst to fit, I think the bodyshop must have baked it on gas mark ten :roll: it's on now though, we'll get to that later

and the old skirts off.. this is the drivers sill (obviously), a little dirty but rock solid, not a spot of the brown stuff..

while I had the interior trim panels out I grabbed the sponge pads from inside the sills which both looked like this:

and the inside of the sill looked like this - dusty but perfect, you may be jealous if you need to!

while I was at it I decided to fit the bucket seat I've had kicking about the house for ages, it's mounted on a fixed Rouge side mount (yes I know it needs to have a slider for the MOT) which gets it nice and low.

I'm hoping I can find an MOT station with a liberal interpretation on "adjustable" because it was super fiddly to get the seat in

the lap straps are mounted using these Takata snap on adaptors fixed to the original belt buckle and lap belt mounting points

and the shoulder belts secured with eye bolts and spreader plates through the rear bulkhead, with nice neat holes in the bulkhead carpet

I cant find a pic of the front but it's an eye bolt through a slit in the carpet... I'm sure you can use your imagination!

the seat totally changes the driving experience for the better, obviously so much more supportive than the standard armchairs you don't need to brace yourself under hard cornering as the seat and harness hold you still... maybe not a good choice in a daily driver though.

I also knocked up a new badge for the wheel.. one was missing when I bought them so I bought a sheet of 0.9mm brass, cut it to size and polished it up

anyway, here's a few of it "finished" I'd by lying if I said I was perfectly happy with it, but I never am with anything. I'm a total pessimist and always look for faults.

Last edited by C35Rob on Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

looks great mate ... nice work wheels and kit go very well !!
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Looks fantastic in the pictures - hope to see this for real this summer if your out and about at any of the shows.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

slipping clutch wrote:Looks fantastic in the pictures - hope to see this for real this summer if your out and about at any of the shows.

unfortunately not... I'm going to be away at sea all summer, by the time I get back it's going to be cold wet and windy again :cry:
slipping clutch

Rob85 wrote:
slipping clutch wrote:Looks fantastic in the pictures - hope to see this for real this summer if your out and about at any of the shows.

unfortunately not... I'm going to be away at sea all summer, by the time I get back it's going to be cold wet and windy again :cry:

Thats a shame :( cars really shaping up to be a good one.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

thanks! I appreciate people taking time to comment on my "build"

I'm kind of at a crossroads with the car now.. I'd like more power but that's going to need a rebuild with forged internals - something I'm quite capable of doing - but by the time you add up pistons, rods, bearings, machining, gaskets and seals, big injectors, fuel pump, cams, ECU, turbo, manifold, new downpipe, bigger intercooler etc etc.. its a lot of money when the car already owes me 5 figures...

I doubt anything else will happen to it before the autumn/winter now.. it will be getting a deep clean and prepped for lay up over the summer, tax runs out next month so it'll be getting sorned too.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I managed to get home this weekend, which wasn't expected, so I've tried to make the most of it.. family commitments yesterday meant I couldn't take advantage of the dry weather so today I washed the car (well,sort of)

Firstly I gave it a blast off the pressure washer then hand washed it with Meguiars shampoo.. I'm not into "detailing" by any stretch of the imagination but I've only given the car a proper clean once since I bought it so it was needed. after the shampoo I clayed the car with a bilt hamber clay bar then the drizzle started :?

I managed to get the bonnet, passenger wing and passenger door cut back with G3 using my Kestrel DA polisher before the drizzle turned to rain and I retreated to the relative safety of my garage..

Having given up on the cleaning I decided to change the plugs.. I had them "in stock" from when I bought the car but had never fitted them for some reason.. the plugs that came out were old TRD branded denso IK22's that had had their day - they were replaced with NGK BKR7E gapped to .75mm

old plugs:

while the plugs were out I poked an endoscope down the bores.. all looks well from what I can see.. standard pistons confirmed as expected, it would have been a nice surprise to find a set of forged pistons though!

while I was in the engine bay I noticed the o2 sensor gasket was passing, a quick nip up of the bolts sorted that out.. the turbine housing/DP flange gasket is fine..however the exhaust flexi is blowing.. not something I'm bothered about as I plan on building a whole new exhaust once I get back from sea late on in the year (along with a new turbo and downpipe too..)

hopefully the weather is nice tomorrow/monday so I can get round the rest of the car with the G3, then some polish, sealant and wax aswell as polishing/sealing the wheels ready to put it to bed for a few months :(
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I woke up a little groggy this morning after a nice meal out with the other half last night but since the weather was dry, if a little overcast, I cracked on..

managed to get round the rest of the car with the G3, then once around with autoglym SRP, then a coat of poorboy's paste wax.. excellent stuff that smells like bubblegum too.

Danielle (the girlfriend) polished the wheels with autosol then sealed them with poorboy's wheel sealant while I took care of the little bits like cleaning the glass, tyre black etc etc

I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so thought I'd bust out my decent camera and take a few pics before putting it away

looking back it's came a long way in the last few months.. still a long way to go but it's getting there.. as mentioned previously i'm going to be away working pretty much all summer, the up shot of which means I'll have a nice wedge saved up when I get back.. so my "revised" plans on my return are:

full set of poly bushes, HSD mono's, maybe a wilhelm geo kit
power FC, TD06 turbo, external wastegate, full 3" exhaust and a set of sard 850's
front splitter, amber corner indicator/sidelights, gandor mirrors and fit/paint my bomex wing
keep an eye out for a cusco cage

however Danielle is learning to drive at the min and will need a car.. she likes S15 silvias

:shock: :shock:

also, I doubt there's any Japanese speakers/readers here.. but any idea what this is? I'm thinking maybe a car club sticker??

it's in the back window next to the Japanese tax disc...

as usual, thanks for looking and any comments/suggestions are more than welcome
craig

Post by craig »

How come you have a UK rear light on the n/s, and what happened to the gear shifter?
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I still have the original rear light but it is slightly damaged.. good spot though.. I will get a correct JDM cluster at some point

the gear shifter is a 4" extension, which, together with a quick shift puts the gear knob in a much better position than standard (closer to the steering wheel) and feels a lot nicer to use.. they are far too low from the factory.. I understand the exposed metal may not be to everyones tastes but I like it and function>form every time
Donato

Post by Donato »

Rob85 wrote:
looking back it's came a long way in the last few months.. still a long way to go but it's getting there.. as mentioned previously i'm going to be away working pretty much all summer, the up shot of which means I'll have a nice wedge saved up when I get back.. so my "revised" plans on my return are:

full set of poly bushes, HSD mono's, maybe a wilhelm geo kit
power FC, TD06 turbo, external wastegate, full 3" exhaust and a set of sard 850's
front splitter, amber corner indicator/sidelights, gandor mirrors and fit/paint my bomex wing
keep an eye out for a cusco cage

Plans sound good. Definitely yes to the geometry kit! If you like you back then I'd avoid the HSD's and get MeisterR's or BC's, from experience. :thumleft:
slipping clutch

Car looks great inside and out and I hope you keep the write ups coming when you get back at the end of summer and start the turbo swap out etc.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

well I'm back!

after a really long stint away with work I've been back a few weeks now and lot's has changed!

when I got back from sea I found out my girlfriend had turned off my trickle charger accidentally so the battery died and the car had sat without being run for a long time :( not her fault though, accidents happen.

obviously it wouldn't start when I tried a booster pack on it either, which, to cut a long story short turned out to be a dead fuel pump. balls!

I ordered a Walbro 255 pump and set about removing the tank - which, if you've not done this job before, is a total pain when working on axle stands. anyway, a new fuel pump saw it fire back up and all is now well, only it isn't - the HKS hi power flexi joint is blowing now :roll:

anyway, having also found out when at sea that my girlfriend is pregnant I had a rush of blood to the brain and decided I couldn't keep the MR2 and bought this

which is my idea of a sensible family car :roll:

it's a 2002 Nissan Laurel medallist. these are a parts bin selection of skyline and s15 silvia parts - its got the RB25DET "neo" 2.5l 6cyl 24v turbo motor, they all came as auto's but this one has been converted to manual with a skyline gearbox.

it's got a "car modify wonder" shadow body kit, WORK varianza 3 piece wheels, big intercooler, lowered suspension, aftermarket exhaust and a few other bits and pieces

It's a grade 4 import, with 78,000kms and from the auction sheet it's pretty much unmarked so hopefully it arrives in the same condition!

it's currently waiting for a ship in japan so will hopefully be with me in late jan/early feb - I cannot wait!!!

however since paying for it I've decided I want to keep the MR2 as well.. oops!
dan mkii

Post by dan mkii »

Congrats on the baby dude. :thumleft:

Ive got two little ones but still manage to keep the mr2 :mrgreen:

Great choice i love the vip look ... :clap:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

another little update.

took the car for an MOT today, it's coming off the road for winter but I wanted to keep it tested in case we have a nice spring and I decide to insure it and use it.. although the plan is to keep it off the road for a year to further improve it.

it passed, with an advisory for a weeping rear damper and slight play in a rear wheel bearing, no big issues as I was planning on fitting HSD's and a wheel bearing is no big deal.

so now it's back in the garage, trickle charger connected and will probably stay that way for a few months till I collect some parts.

on another note I got some new pictures of my new car from the docks in japan..

ashley

Post by ashley »

he he he he....that's pretty awesome bud! 8)
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

thought i'd give this a little update to keep it ticking over.

the car is still in hibernation, trickle charger connected and being started up and driven up and down the street once a week to keep it healthy, in the mean time I've started shopping for new parts.

the first thing I bought is this:

which is a JDM rom tuned ecu on indeterminate orign, looks very similar to the blitz access and should give the same benefits i.e - raised rev limit, removed fuel cut, removed speed limit and more aggressive fuel/ign maps

hopefully it should arrive from japan in early jan.

the next thing is a BEE*R rev limiter (actually my girlfriend bought me this) - if you've not heard of these before they're a two step ign cut rev limiter, so can be used for launch control - they scatter the crank sensor signal which leads to combustion in exhaust manifold thus building boost when stationary and big pops/bangs/flames from the exhaust.... not big or clever but lots of fun.

(google image, mine is in the post)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVpIgz9rA6s

other than that it's all quiet, my Laurel has finally made it onto a ship and should arrive in the UK on valentines day - exciting!

Return to “Member Profiles”