Chris' Rev4 TRD Turbo...

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris_9011

Re: Chris' Rev4 TRD Turbo...

Post by Chris_9011 »

Turbo engine lid design:
I spent yesterday afternoon prepping, primering, and spraying the top of the lid matt white in preparation for fitting some carbon effect vinyl in my usual design and style... some of you may remember my past designs for engine lids:

my old Rev 5:

my old Rev 3:

I had to stick with the same theme (it would have been rude not to really), so may I introduce the latest design:

I used 3D effect carbon vinyl wrap that I bought off eBay for around £8 per metre (bargain!!):

...and fitted at 10.30pm last night:

...all in all, as it was my first attempt at vinyl wrapping, I think it came out pretty well although there are a few bubbles and creases in the wrap... oh, and my heat gun has now died of death!!
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

awesome man!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Those lid designs look great :thumleft:
wilkie senior
IMOC Moderator

Post by wilkie senior »

Nice to see your Stars Wars theme again

nicely done sir
:thumleft:

regards Brian
That's a negative, Jim. I do not have the measles.
Hail Cosmos Eagle Rev 5, 1998 -
RIP White Eagle Rev 1, 1991 - 2016
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

a few updates to mention,

firstly, I fitted a new touch screen double din stereo to replace the JVC headunit I originally had in the car
Old:

New:

...I think it brings the dash board slightly more up to date

Second,
I fitted some puddle lights in the doors.

...remove the door cards

...drill the holes (checking that the window doesn't foul the light unit when fully down)

...fit the lights and wire up to the red (door open) light wiring behind the door card, and then re-fit the door card and Bob's your fathers brother:

Puddle lights:

I also re-fitted my engine bay gas ram that I had to remove due to the fitting of the TRD engine bay brace. I modified the original bracket to suit...

I've also moved my Blitz turbo timer from on top of the steering cowling to the little vent in the dash that's situated under the steering wheel (although I have no photos of this unfortunately). The problem I've found is that I can't now turn it off so I think I'll have to find a different place to mount it for easier access...
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Those puddle lights are awesome
RikH77

Post by RikH77 »

You should offer the engine lids as a little business :thumleft:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

RikH77 wrote:You should offer the engine lids as a little business :thumleft:

I've just completed my first one for GlenN actually, and it's just been packed up ready to be shipped :thumleft:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

My engine had a bit of an overhaul yesterday... bought a can of VHT matt black paint and a can of aluminium HT temp from Halfords and set to work...

before:

After:

...sooooo glad that I've finally lost the orange aspects from my test painting from a few months ago, just couldn't leave it like it was for the rolling road day on Saturday... I just couldn't have opened my engine lid with the engine in the state it was in :blush:
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infamous

Post by Infamous »

Looking good! :clap:
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Infamous wrote:Looking good! :clap:

couple of updates, firstly I spent Thursday afternoon removing the wheels, cleaning them and sealing them properly, and while I was at that I painted the calipers in metallic purple to match the wheel nuts and seats

(no pictures as of yet)

Secondly, I went to the Surrey Rolling Road day today to put the car on the dyno
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZRaTQw_ ... e=youtu.be

Dyno graphs:

244.2bhp and 206ft.lbs - but that was at 0.7 PSi of boost... neither happy or sad at that, just prooves that I need it mapped and I need the e-manage set up propetly as its running safe...
Time to start the engine tuning I think, 300bhp+ I think would be nice

If the boost was at the standard 0.9bar I think it would have been close to 270bhp, not entirely sure why it would be lower than standard, but I'm no engine expert so I have no idea :confused1:

Next on the to-do list is finding an upgrade side mount intercooler, electronic boost controller and get the car mapped and have the GReddy E-manage (blue) set up correctly and then hopefully I should see somewhere close to, if not hopefully over, the 300bhp mark
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Nice TRD there's a Phoenix power intercooler in the for sale section
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Spent Saturday morning on the car whilst the wife and daughter were out swimming, and after some swearing and cursing I finally got my XS Power intercooler fitted and plumbed in... after my rolling road results last weekend I am going to aim for 300bhp+, so my first port of call was to upgrade the intercooler to allow for higher boost levels... found an XS Power one, complete with all hot pipes, Mikalor clamps, and an upgraded spal fan up for sale on IMOC for a decent price

The old one definitely didn't want to come out without some 'persuasion' and removing a lot of the parts around the engine (mainly the engine hook that I broke my socket ratchet trying to remove)... and even then there was a certain amount of 'brute force' to get it past everything

Before:

Parts to be fitted:

After:

...although now my TRD brace no longer fits :sad:

...the other downside is that my arms looked like Freddie Kruger had been at them, cuts and scratches everywhere (ever tried cleaning your hands with WD40 whilst covered in open wounds... not something I'd recommend :rolleyes: :laughing ) ... still, no pain, no gain!
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

Can you slacken the pipe clamps and point the red 90 degree bend on the cooler down to allow the boost pipe to sit lower the tighen it back up :-k

It may give some clearance for the trd brace
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

I did try that Matt, but there isn't enough room to move it around unfortunately :(
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Chris_9011 wrote:I did try that Matt, but there isn't enough room to move it around unfortunately :(

Can you slacken off the fasteners on the Right hand side of the SMIC, push it downwards, to allow the boost piper, clamps & the red 90 degree bend to sit lower, then tighen it back up??
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

I've just had a look at the pictures when the pipe work was in mine. It sits pretty much exactly where you have it. I spent hours trying to get them in originally, which is why I didn't undo any of the joiners from the hard pipe.

I had no problem getting a stock x brace on there, but the TRD brace has the crossover further forward
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

after my last design of engine lid rain tray decided to de-laminate the carbon effect vinyl due to the heat in the engine bay, I was forced to re-think my design and I have gone for something completely different from my usual path of Star Wars logo's... I also decided that it was best to use paint rather than vinyl again to add some longevity to the design...

So may I introduce to you all... 'the Nightmare Before the rising Sun':

Mr Skellington is also hiding behind the main design...

and now on the car:

I personally think it's my favourite design yet!
:D
Last edited by Chris_9011 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Theres some time and effort there! :clap:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
Chris_9011

Post by Chris_9011 »

Scott Barton wrote:Theres some time and effort there! :clap:

Yep, it took a while... had to keep re-attaching and removing it too as the car's my daily driver, so each coat had to be done separately...

- Primer
- White base coat
Back on the car to cure
- Logo on the top
Back on the car to cure
- jack Skellington design
Back on the car to cure
- Rising sun design
Back on the car to cure
- and finally the main detailed design today

(can you see a repetitive theme :lol: )

...plus it took a few hours to design and cut the vinyl stencils by hand too... it's all good fun though, and kept me out of trouble

All in all, I reckon it was around 8-10 man hours to complete :thumleft:

Materials only came to around £40 though

Return to “Member Profiles”