turn stereo headphones into 7.1/5.1 DD

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

H3RB

Re: turn stereo headphones into 7.1/5.1 DD

Post by H3RB »

got my astros at half 10 this morning and damnnnn they are awesome with a capital AWE lol
the packaging is really nice and it comes with a hard case for the headset/mix amp also comes with every wire you need.
i got the wireless system and it took about 5mins to set up without the instructions so its not rocket sience lol
the sound is insane i was abit worried as every pair of wireless headsets ive owned have had a horrible hissing noise and the volume isnt very loud. not the case with these tho, there is no hissing, less then 1% distortion and at only half volume they were stupidly loud.
the earcups are huge and really really comfy, with the turtle beach px21's i was using last they didnt quite cover my ears which made it unconfortable to use after a while but the astros are so light and flexible that they fit really well.

it didnt seem like i was wearing headphones, the sound is incredible it sounded like it was still coming out my surround sound (i even took my headset off to check at one point lol)
people say the bass isnt very bassy but the wireless mix amp has a bass boost button and that works pretty well explosions on bad company 2 were really punchy.

there were a few things i was worried about with it being wireless but none of them were a problem.

im glad i waited to get them tho as the wirless mix amp is good for up to 100meters (like your ever gonna sit that fire away) but it means i can watch a film on the sofa at night without waking anbody or having wire tangled all over the floor, the wires on the turtle beach px21's are stupidly long and they were forever getting tangled, again not the case with the astros or atleast the wireless as there are 2 wires going from my ps3 to the transmitter (ps3 chat cable and optical) then one for the plug, then on the reciever/mix amp its just one cable that goes from headset to mix amp and the mix amp clips on your top so its a pretty clean set up.
really happy with them and if you have the moolah id recommend them
:thumleft:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

just found out, the offer on the wireless mix amp ends tomrrow. also you can use the mix amp to turn ANY stereo headset into 5.1 and 7.1 :thumleft:
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Did you get the Add 5.8 Li/Ion Battery? option ??
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

yeah i did, took about 6 hours for a full charge and lasts 30-40 hours on a charge, i love em so far cant fault them at all
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

I've got a set off ebay for 170 quid but they dont come with the fancy battery, i'll just have to see how I get on with the supplied one
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

apparently standard batteries last around 17 hours, just buy 2 sets of recharables and your fine, also if its the wired mix amp you can just power it via usb
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

Ordered my set earlier, Went for the wireless. Also added the ps3 chat cable and rechargeable pack.
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

JohnnyC wrote:
Chr15py wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:

You can do proper 7 channel surround with a pair of headphones (with only 1 speaker per ear). This is not to be confused with the pseudo surround that's started to become popular on TVs 10 or so years ago, as you can't do proper multichannel audio from two external speakers.

Yup! :lol: As above - contradicted yourself!!! As you say "you can't do proper multichannel audio from two external speakers." isn't that what headphones are? \:D/

I wouldn't say headphones are external speakers at all.
The left ear can't hear what is pumped out by the right speaker etc.

And Dolby ProLogic does produce 'proper' (although limited) surround (with a ProLogic decoder). Just because it's encoded in a stereo signal doesn't mean it's just stereo :wink:

I'm bored now. Some people just don't get it :wink: :mrgreen:

I forget which one you was right :wink: :D, but thought both of you might like this link
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/understan ... phone.html
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

yeah we were right lol no need for mulitple speakers in each ear.

you guys wont be dissapointed with the astros they are amazing! you cant tell the headset is wireless either the sound is so crisp and clear.
hardest part is setting up the balance between chat and game volume when playing online, but i find it best to have the master volume about 3/4 of the way and the game/chat nob about the same. i use the bass boost also :thumleft:
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

It's the ability to increase the in game voice that appeals to me, I can increase it to stop me shouting at the telly and keeping the wife up.
That and the high quality wireless sound.

Is it possible to play with the balance Left to Right?
The hearing is reduced in my right ear so would be good to weight it more that way.
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

H3RB wrote:yeah we were right lol no need for mulitple speakers in each ear.

you guys wont be dissapointed with the astros they are amazing! you cant tell the headset is wireless either the sound is so crisp and clear.
hardest part is setting up the balance between chat and game volume when playing online, but i find it best to have the master volume about 3/4 of the way and the game/chat nob about the same. i use the bass boost also :thumleft:

How is the multi channel seperation mate?
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

nah yo cant balance it left to right but its loud enough any way, channel seperation is great ive been saved so many times cause ive heard people coming behind me or coming from my left/right even hearing people above n below me
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Theres a set on ebay at the mo for £143 with only 1h 30 to go
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

so the surround works well?

Thinking about designing some custom tags at some point too
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

yeah the surround sounds awesome, i took my headset off at one point because it sounded like it was coming from the other side of the room and not out my headset so i had to check to make sure my surround sound in my room wasnt on.
the first thing i said to my gf was "it doesnt sound like its coming from the headset at all" the same day my bro came round and tried them out and said exactly the same thing lol
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

Got my headphones today and they sound fantastic.

Having a bit of a problem with the optical passthrough but hopefully get this resolved in the near future.

I went for the white mlg's btw
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

I think mine are at parcel force so I'll be going over in the morning to collect :D
mikee66

Post by mikee66 »

H3rb do your set do "voice monitoring" at all?

I thought they were supposed to? Maybe i've not set mine up right :oops:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

mikee66 wrote:H3rb do your set do "voice monitoring" at all?

I thought they were supposed to? Maybe i've not set mine up right :oops:

yeah i didnt notice it at first, but i only had my ps3 settings set too "2" on the mic level changed it too 4 and i can hear my self clearly. but now ived dropped it bk to "2 and i can still hear myself lol
its not as loud as the voice monitoring on the px21's but its loud enough to stop you shoutin.
contemplating getting the A30's now also :lol:
Ren0W

Post by Ren0W »

The A40's really are worth the money above the A30's?

And they just use the normal audio jack at the back of the PC/PS3?

And they can be used on the stock (what is it) 2.1 onboard soundcard, and still give the 5.1/7.1 ?

Or am I missing something ?

Return to “Games Consoles”