who do u love beating off the lights?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

matt_mr2t

Re: who do u love beating off the lights?

Post by matt_mr2t »

Some of you are taking this thread far too seriously :lol:

You wont see a middle aged man in his range rover or 2010 320d on a race track.

But you will see him driving up the wrong lane with the intention of going past the person in the right lane and then cutting them up. They do this because they believe that because they drive a brand new £30k - £40k car they must be faster than some 15 year old Toyota.

Sometimes it's just nice to make them look like the pillock they are.

With regards to the other cars mentioned, like other performance cars, the same goes for them too sometimes. They swan about assuming that because they have a more well known performance car, that they must be faster. Not always the case.

As I said, it's not hard to nail it away from the lights, but it's impossible to make a slower car go faster than a faster car. Some people just like to compare how their car accelerates compared to other cars.

It's harmless fun at the end of the day, and substantially less likely to cause an horrific accident than driving round bends at high speeds I might add.

But every one gets their kicks in different ways, horses for courses and all that. :thumleft:
MR John

Post by MR John »

easty-5 wrote:
Lauren wrote:Any idiot can go fast in a straightline, much more fun to anhilate people through corners. :+:

I think this may well be the first time I have agree'd with something that you have said.

As said, anybody can dump a clutch and floor it away from some traffic lights. It doesn't take a great amount of skill and you just look like a twit to all other road user's, reiterating the miss-conception of all modified cars being owned by boy racers.

If you want to go and have some fun in your car, take it on a track day or go find some nice secluded B roads. You will soon find out how fast your car really is.

To be honest, nothing beats the thrill of sitting io the backside of some very expensice machinery on track, where you really can push the cars (and your own) limits.

Dale_V wrote:
who do you take on in your panda? #-o

Those pesky Panda's will give a lot of very expensive machinery a good run on track. There was a pair of them at knockhill a few months back and you would be very, very surprised at just how capable they are on the corners. Sure, they lack the straightline speed but on the corners they are able to carry through pretty much all of their momentum thus making them very, very quick through them.

Can i just add for giggles, Anyone can turn a car left or right ;) That's how you make drag racing sound there's alot more to it to get a good time down ;)

On track or B road your only turning left or right as speed isnt really a factor is it :lol: :lol: :lol:
easty-5

Post by easty-5 »

MR John wrote:
Can i just add for giggles, Anyone can turn a car left or right ;) That's how you make drag racing sound there's alot more to it to get a good time down ;)

On track or B road your only turning left or right as speed isnt really a factor is it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty sure speed is one of the biggest factors when on track :-k

Yes you can turn your car left and right, but can you hit the apex on a corner? Can you balance the car perfectly upon entering a corner at speed and carry as much speed as possible through the corner? Can you control your car if it steps out? Have you mastered heel and toe? Can you drive twisty sections without shuffling the steering wheel?

It takes a LOT of skill to be fast round a track. Doesn't take that much skill to be quick in a straight line in a road going sports car.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

easty-5 wrote:
MR John wrote:

Yes you can turn your car left and right, but can you hit the apex on a corner? Can you balance the car perfectly upon entering a corner at speed and carry as much speed as possible through the corner? Can you control your car if it steps out? Have you mastered heel and toe? Can you drive twisty sections without shuffling the steering wheel?

It takes a LOT of skill to be fast round a track. Doesn't take that much skill to be quick in a straight line in a road going sports car.

I think he poked you and Lauren with a stick :lol:
I doubt very much he was serious.
MR John

Post by MR John »

matt_mr2t wrote:
easty-5 wrote:
MR John wrote:

I think he poked you and Lauren with a stick :lol:
I doubt very much he was serious.

Thank you matt :D Atleast someone understands sarcasm :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Love getting people going) Funny watching them get all serious and techy over it :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I often have visions of frothing at the mouth and slightly derranged eyes.

:lol:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

As you said Matt, people in posh expensive cars are fun. Ive noticed compared to the Z4 not many people try it on with the 350Z even though a 3.0i is just as fast if not faster.

Golf GT's and Seat FR's shy away now and lately ive noticed alot of Audi TT's trying it on only to find out there 2.0TDi's
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

un1eash wrote:As you said Matt, people in posh expensive cars are fun. Ive noticed compared to the Z4 not many people try it on with the 350Z even though a 3.0i is just as fast if not faster.

Golf GT's and Seat FR's shy away now and lately ive noticed alot of Audi TT's trying it on only to find out there 2.0TDi's

Really? Thought the Zed had quite a bit of power over them?
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Z4 3.0si has 261bhp and weighs in at just over 1300kg. The 350 has it on power and torque by comes in over 1500kg
fizz

Post by fizz »

un1eash wrote:Z4 3.0si has 261bhp and weighs in at just over 1300kg. The 350 has it on power and torque by comes in over 1500kg

That will explain the encounter i had with a Z4 in my ole tubby thinking why it was as quick as me... very even indeed. Didnt know the 3.0l was so quick.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Dale_V wrote:
Lauren wrote:Any idiot can go fast in a straightline, much more fun to anhilate people through corners. :+:

Everything honey. Not had much (well nothing) keep up round the corners yet. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MR John wrote:

I always thought that drag racing was for those who couldn't drive. :tongue:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Lauren wrote:
Dale_V wrote:

Everything honey. Not had much (well nothing) keep up round the corners yet. :+:

LMFAO, the mighty panda eh. who needs exotica!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Dale_V wrote:

Well funny you should say that, it was just what I was thinking. :tongue:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Lauren wrote:
Dale_V wrote:

Well funny you should say that, it was just what I was thinking. :tongue:

too right, lets get the word out, will save folk a load of cash 8)
MR John

Post by MR John »

Lauren wrote:
MR John wrote:

I always thought that drag racing was for those who couldn't drive. :tongue:

:P no no that's miss daisy's turning left and right :P

True power is defined how fast it can go :P lol!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MR John wrote:

:P no no that's miss daisy's turning left and right :P

True power is defined how fast it can go :P lol!

And there was me thinking, start driving in a straight line, then it would be a natural progression in learning to go round corners. I just came to the conclusion that SLJ's (straightline junkies) never got that far.

:tongue:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

That stick is getting bigger Mr John :lol:

I reckon a Panda 100hp would go round the top gear track in about 57 seconds. Just faster than the Renault F1 car a few years ago. But I doubt it's engine could play god save the queen. #-o
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

My friend swears by his Panda 100bhp, he only paid 5k for it a while back now on an 07 plate.

Theres an idea Matt, get yourself a Panda 100 mate.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

un1eash wrote:My friend swears by his Panda 100bhp, he only paid 5k for it a while back now on an 07 plate.

Theres an idea Matt, get yourself a Panda 100 mate.

And a brown paper bag with two eye holes cut in it...
I am going to live forever, or die trying!

Return to “Driving Experiences”