Prelude VTEC vs MR2 Turbo Question?

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

nakamura

Re: Prelude VTEC vs MR2 Turbo Question?

Post by nakamura »

But he tracked it 6 times a year........ :roll:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:
Of all the Honda's available the S2000 and NSX are the only interesting ones as they're both purpose built, RWD sports cars.

The reason I dont like them much is because IMO they all look boring, are mainly all FWD and have engines that have to do 9k revs to be fast.
While I can appreciate the engineering, ridiculously high revving engines arent very good on the road.
I also think 9k revs doesnt sound that great, too high pitched. Every CTR etc I've ever heard sounds like a motorbike.

I think you are missing the point. Ie there is more important things than how a car looks, like how it drives for example.

I have an integra type-R and it is hands down a better drivers car than an mr2 turbo, no question of that. Its one thing posing at the local mcdonalds and its quite another when you are in the zone reveling in a decent chassis. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
lower

Post by lower »

C50 wrote:5 vtecs engines from one person.. maybe he keeps it at redline for lengthy amounts of time and not check oil levels, change oil, etc.. :-k

Nope, i drove them normally. Yes i used VTEC, but not all the time.

Both my cars had full honda service histories, my current car i bought brand new and have checked the oil religiously throughout the ownership.

Car one MY00- bought with 27k miles and full honda service history. Engine one dropped an inlet valve head and lunched the engine.
Engine two got trashed within 5 miles because the dealer hadn't cleared all the bits of engine one out of the inlet manifold.
Engine three did 20k miles with no issues before i sold.

Car two MY06 that i bought new.
Engine one- Little ends failed at 17k miles. Diagnosed as faulty oil pump.
Engine two has now done 3k miles and is running fine :)

I've organised the trackdays for the S2000 club for the last couple of years so have a fair experience of how they hold up on the track. I know of one car that did 127k track only miles before the engine blew and my experience is certainly very unusual.

Thank god for warranties, and no, honda doesn't replace engines under warranty if they've run low on oil.

Oh and i haven't stopped tracking it because i'm worried about reliability. I've discovered the delights of a caterham superlight on the track :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Lauren wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:
Of all the Honda's available the S2000 and NSX are the only interesting ones as they're both purpose built, RWD sports cars.

The reason I dont like them much is because IMO they all look boring, are mainly all FWD and have engines that have to do 9k revs to be fast.
While I can appreciate the engineering, ridiculously high revving engines arent very good on the road.
I also think 9k revs doesnt sound that great, too high pitched. Every CTR etc I've ever heard sounds like a motorbike.

I think you are missing the point. Ie there is more important things than how a car looks, like how it drives for example.

I have an integra type-R and it is hands down a better drivers car than an mr2 turbo, no question of that. Its one thing posing at the local mcdonalds and its quite another when you are in the zone reveling in a decent chassis. :tongue:

We can agree to disagree on this one Lauren.
I fully appreciate you love a track and twisty roads etc.
Which I will happily say your car will be in it's element while mine spins into the nearest obstacle.
But I dont go on a track, never have and pretty sure I never will in mine.
Where I live and drive most roads are big dual carriage way A roads or Motorways. Or just general town roads.
For that kinds of driving I howling 9k engine has little use nor does having a great chassis for cornering when there are no corners that demand it.

So, for what YOU like to do you have the right car.
For what I like to do. IE get to a high speed as quickly as possible, I have the right car.

And looks matter to me, I dont care what others think...
But I'd bet my last quid in the world that MR2 owners get more compliments than Honda drivers (bar the S2000 and NSX)
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Well put Matt. Besides this topic wasnt meant to be what is better. As usual Lauren has to jump on and go on about the teg being a better drivers car. Well im the driver, and i would much rather drive an MR2.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Lauren wrote:
Its one thing posing at the local mcdonalds and its quite another when you are in the zone reveling in a decent chassis. :tongue:

And exactly what is wrong with cruzin' MacDonalds, hmm?

:whistle:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

nakamura wrote:Well put Matt. Besides this topic wasnt meant to be what is better. As usual Lauren has to jump on and go on about the teg being a better drivers car. Well im the driver, and i would much rather drive an MR2.

well said :clap: :clap:
C50

Post by C50 »

mattcambs wrote:And exactly what is wrong with cruzin' MacDonalds, hmm?

:roll:

i'm always afraid of those youngsters incase they drive straight into me :?
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

C50 wrote:
mattcambs wrote:And exactly what is wrong with cruzin' MacDonalds, hmm?

:roll:

i'm always afraid of those youngsters

your obviously getting old...pmsl :lol: :lol: , just jesting....

old boy :lol: :lol:
C50

Post by C50 »

:lol: but so true.. eeks!
Simarshy

Post by Simarshy »

If you ask me, they are different types of cars.

The Mr2 turbo is very fussy when it comes to tyres and the stat of it's suspension, the same really with the engine. So in order to get the Mr2 feeling good you need to spend a bit of money getting things sorted.

I personally feel this is what is really highlighted when you compare it to other cars, as the prelude will cope much smooth out the effects of it's various handling components.

However now driving what I consider a reasonability well sorted setup, the Mr2 is more exciting/scary and challenging to drive then the prelude. However the way it's setup atm you can't really have fun on the road without getting into serious trouble, which isn't fun.

Really what you choose to buy will come down what you like to do with you car, is it for track work or day to day driving. I'd say the prelude would be great fun pushing it to the limit on the road but the mr2 would teach you more about driving fast and dominate in straight line races if thats your bag. Either car would be fun around the track but for me the I'd take the Mr2 for pace around a track.

Si
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Simarshy wrote:If you ask me, they are different types of cars.

The Mr2 turbo is very fussy when it comes to tyres and the stat of it's suspension, the same really with the engine. So in order to get the Mr2 feeling good you need to spend a bit of money getting things sorted.

I personally feel this is what is really highlighted when you compare it to other cars, as the prelude will cope much smooth out the effects of it's various handling components.

However now driving what I consider a reasonability well sorted setup, the Mr2 is more exciting/scary and challenging to drive then the prelude. However the way it's setup atm you can't really have fun on the road without getting into serious trouble, which isn't fun.

Really what you choose to buy will come down what you like to do with you car, is it for track work or day to day driving. I'd say the prelude would be great fun pushing it to the limit on the road but the mr2 would teach you more about driving fast and dominate in straight line races if thats your bag. Either car would be fun around the track but for me the I'd take the Mr2 for pace around a track.

Si

Very good points, Si :thumleft:

I think for road driving, enjoying an MR2 is about staying well within the limits and only really leaning on the front tyres (part throttle cornering). Although when I drove the S2000 I didn't feel I was getting nearly enough feedback from the front - in the MR2 it's all about the feel from the front tyres. Even if it does feel a bit scary sometimes! :lol:
Oh, yeah and the straight line speed is nice too 8)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:
We can agree to disagree on this one Lauren.
I fully appreciate you love a track and twisty roads etc.
Which I will happily say your car will be in it's element while mine spins into the nearest obstacle.
But I dont go on a track, never have and pretty sure I never will in mine.
Where I live and drive most roads are big dual carriage way A roads or Motorways. Or just general town roads.
For that kinds of driving I howling 9k engine has little use nor does having a great chassis for cornering when there are no corners that demand it.

So, for what YOU like to do you have the right car.
For what I like to do. IE get to a high speed as quickly as possible, I have the right car.

And looks matter to me, I dont care what others think...
But I'd bet my last quid in the world that MR2 owners get more compliments than Honda drivers (bar the S2000 and NSX)

I think though if you really do worry about how a car looks and how many compliments you get then you really are looking for self-validation in your choice of car.

I must admit i'm not particularly worried whether others think my car is uber cool or not. Those in the know, know, those that don't, don't matter. :+:

Whilst i do appreciate a car that has good straightline power, I really do think that there is far, far more to a car than this alone.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

nakamura wrote:Well put Matt. Besides this topic wasnt meant to be what is better. As usual Lauren has to jump on and go on about the teg being a better drivers car. Well im the driver, and i would much rather drive an MR2.

LOL!

Well trying different cars is the key to forming a more objective opinion. :tongue:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Lauren wrote:

LOL!

Well trying different cars is the key to forming a more objective opinion. :tongue:

Yes, and constantly shoving your opinion down others throats is more than a little tiresome. More over when it comes from a club committee member, about a non club car.

Ever thought of going to a Honda club and not coming back?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ah but Lauren, I didnt say I CARED what others think. Simply that others generally do compliment it.

I bought it because I have liked MR2's since my teacher had one when I was 13 years old at school.

It was also the fastest most reliable and nicest looking car with RWD I could afford.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Slarty wrote:
Yes, and constantly shoving your opinion down others throats is more than a little tiresome. More over when it comes from a club committee member, about a non club car.

Ever thought of going to a Honda club and not coming back?

Sorry I didn't realise having an opinion was to be frowned upon. I also didn't realise that being a committee member meant i had to worship all things mr2 turbo and lose any objectivity I might have.

Oh well i'll never learn. :tongue:
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Lauren wrote: Sorry I didn't realise having an opinion was to be frowned upon.

Having an opinion is great, and something I actively encourage in people. Perpetually expressing it in an attempt to make yourself and "your" car look better is immature to say the least.

Lauren wrote:I also didn't realise that being a committee member meant i had to worship all things mr2 turbo and lose any objectivity I might have.

No, but actively slagging off a car to which you're a committee member of its club might be construed as odd, one might say.

Lauren wrote:Oh well i'll never learn.

Nor admit that you're wrong, this much we already know :+:

Anyway, wasn't this thread about Preludes & MR2's mkay?
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Lauren wrote:

LOL!

And how do you know what i have driven? As said this was a Prelude related thread. Plus your constant talk of `drivers car` is starting to grate like hell. It seems to be all you go on about and any reason the dig the MK2. I dont own a MK2, in fact i own a celica now, and i love it but dont go on about it. And my scooby would have destroyed your beloved integra around a track but i dont go on about it.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Slarty wrote:
Lauren wrote:Having an opinion is great, and something I actively encourage in people. Perpetually expressing it in an attempt to make yourself and "your" car look better is immature to say the least.

No, but actively slagging off a car to which you're a committee member of its club might be construed as odd, one might say.

Sorry I can't see what is immature about an objective opinion of two cars. I'm not at all interested in making myself look 'better'. Please remember that not everyone thinks the same way as you do.

MR2 turbos are not the only car in the club. HTH :+:

Return to “Driving Experiences”