Engine fans - anyone interested?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sidewinder

Re: Engine fans - anyone interested?

Post by Sidewinder »

Rogue wrote:The MR2 is designed to pull air from under the car and out through the engine bay cover. This is particularly critical on the turbo models - you'll notice that one of the rear most plastic undertrays is shaped to divert air up and over the turbo itself.

Hmm...that's what I remember reading several months ago on the mailing list. Interesting point, especially with another thread on here talking about the usefulness (air-wise) of the Tom's scoops. Or not. :)
Mk2 NA Rev1 -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev2 -*- Mk1 NA -*- Mk2 Turbo Rev 3 = all gone!

Post by shafster »

Nelo 漂&#27 wrote:good stuff, looks like the Group Buy king AKA shaf has another GB to look after :shock: :D

Pete

PS anybody got any links to FAQs on how to rob a bank without getting caught in 3 easy steps?

nooo im not looking after another group buy so soon, no way :P

lol at jimbob, the pink thing is never gonna die im afraid :oops:

how many tights were you after?? :twisted:
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

My original intention was to pull air, but i thought i'd give it a go on push?

Yeah I know the scoop your talking about the diffuser looking one underneath......a right pain when you want to fiddle! Never mind the scoop underneath though what about the two on the side!

Not sure what they intended on doing with the two's engine compartmet cooling.......not much really! The skin that is factory fit under the engine lid I can only presume is meant to take water away from anything vital. Although hardly any air can get out!

No there not pacets, I don't think pacets are much cop for the money. I'm actually using 9" units which are almost a perfect fit to the width of the engine lid vents. They only pull about 5 amps each whereas pacet are 5.9. However these wee beastys will pull 1000CFM as opposed to pacets 858CFM. Even the pacet 10" 'thick' version will only pull 980.

I had a look at spal fans which look very nice! The 10" versions I looked at pulled 650CFM at 6.4amps. Which seems high ampage?

The fans I'm using are obviousely cheaper than spal and pacet but I have managed to get a good small supply. Enough to do a few lids anyway.

I know when i've been beaten and as far as engine lid fan kits go you boys at rogue have got it! All I was doing is offering a low cost alternative for those on a budget not trying to take your trade..............

truce? I might need some of your cool bits later on :wink:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Jimbob wrote:I know when i've been beaten and as far as engine lid fan kits go you boys at rogue have got it! All I was doing is offering a low cost alternative for those on a budget not trying to take your trade..............
truce? I might need some of your cool bits later on :wink:

Hey, don't worry about it - it's not like we were the first people to think of doing engine bay fan kits (or low rise headlights come to that). As with most things, if you know what you're doing and have the resources then you can normally knock something up a bit cheaper that acheives just about the same thing.

As Jonno suggested - and without blowing our own trumpet - our fan kits are better than they strictly need to be. As with all of our products, we designed something that we actually wanted for our own MR2s, and in doing so focussed on quality over cost. A lot of effort went into making the lip that surrounds the kit, and then making it fit perfectly, making sure water ingress didn't affect anything it shouldn't, designing the lifting arm mountings and making sure the gas strut was the correct pressure etc.

That said, we've refined the design a little and a cheaper version should be available in the new year. It'll still be more expensive than your version though!

:D

Rogue
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

I'll defo be up for one in about 6-8 weeks.
450wbhp comming soon
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

yup a maybe for me also
tom tom

cool. hope i am not too late///

Post by tom tom »

i am really to buy one now.....£170 inc postage?
and it is easy to fit?

tom tom
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yes these can be made to order. I am redesigning the shape slightly this week to make it more OEM looking.

I will have to get in a batch of fans which only takes a few days. And then get a batch of aluminium cut.

I can have some available for postage within two weeks.

Please specify the spec you would like. For £170 I can include the relay and neccessary wiring to connect to the intercooler fan via a relay (i.e runs on engine bay temp sensor). At a small additional cost, I can also include dash mount overide switches, on/off led's etc.

Fitment is very easy.

1.Simply remove your engine lid for ease of installation

2.Then unscrew the fixing screws holding the current shroud/skin on the engine lid.

3.Lift off the skin and keep if desired or discard.

4.You can now Simply offer up the new skin and then fix into place using the old screws or replacement options

I can offer optional anodised bolts although this will be at aditional cost and will require slight drilling of the existing mounting points to accept the larger diameter bolts.

For any additional information or requirements please e-mail me direct as per my profile e-mail address (just click on Jimbob on this message)

I will include instructions of how to fit each kit.

I just need to confirm how much postage will be but it should be less than £10, I will only charge exact postage and wrapping materials costs. Please e-mail me a postcosde for a quote.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

ok this is the new engine lid. Had a good summers use now but still looks ok. Sorry about the sahkey pictures but it was f f f f f freeeezin

The fans will be moved back in the new cover to be flush mount as per the original pic.

I'll post the latest revision next week when complete. Same price

raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i was trying to work out what the rusty swirl was between the vents when I realised its the reflection of the tree!

I've got a home brew engine cover lifter that mounts just onto the hinge of the cover. I assume the new kit will be ok with this?

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yes no probs Allan.

The profile of the new cover is actually thinner (closer to the actual engine lid) than standard so no probs.

How do you find your lifter? I found mine too strong? I know rogue did a lot of work to get theirs right.

This week will involve some more gas strut fiddling I think :wink:
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

so then guys n gals have we got 5 people togeather yet so mr Jimbob can get the stuff together for the groupe buy? :D

ill put my name down first then so dont be shy :P

1 Urbantiger (Steve)

Cheers

Steve..
pecky

Post by pecky »

im interested but not just yet as hav a few other things to pay for lol
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

Get you're name down then if we work on compleating by the end of Feb then Shaf, Redeye, & Nelo!$E£"$%&(%^& will be in and thats our 5

cheers

Steve..

if that works for you Jimbob that is :lol: :lol: :lol:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Jimbob wrote:Yes no probs Allan.

The profile of the new cover is actually thinner (closer to the actual engine lid) than standard so no probs.

How do you find your lifter? I found mine too strong? I know rogue did a lot of work to get theirs right.

This week will involve some more gas strut fiddling I think :wink:

Yeah mine is a bit too strong but not so bad that it trys to fire the cover into the back window :lol: . I think mine is from a Saxo of all things (cant remember exactly as I climbed up too many scrap cars)

there is a kit from mr2oc site that's got a good rep and darned cheap too.
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

Yeah you can put my name down along with your Tiger.

So we have,

1. Nelo
2. Urbantiger
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

You guys tell me when you want em and i'll make em. I've just sorted a wholesale account with the fan supplier for a small batch each month. I should be sorting the aluminium blanking tomorrow.

I haver also found a hydraulic engine lid lifter kit. It's designed for the MR2. They are not too bad cost wise and would come in at about £40 each. I still fink I can get them cheaper though :wink:

I've had a wicked idea for the engine lid as well. The new design WILL be the business. I should have it finished together with some high res pics buy the start of next week.

In the mean time if anyone simply cant wait 4 weeks I'll do them now (next week).

Cheers
redeye32uk

Post by redeye32uk »

End of Feb will be o.k. for me.....start a new job on 17th of Jan and going from payed weekly to monthly so going to have a 2week spell with no income , otherwise i'd say as soon as pos.
Urbantiger

Post by Urbantiger »

get you're name on the list then Mr Redeye, with mine and Nelo :lol: :lol:
shafster

Post by shafster »

1 Urbantiger (Steve)
2 Nelo
3 Shaf (as soon as TRD crash lands)

:twisted:

Return to “Modifications”