IMOC Trackday- Sat 3rd September @ Elvington

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

Re: IMOC Trackday- Sat 3rd September @ Elvington

Post by michael »

Speedy wrote:Can we drive the course clockwise in the morning, then anti-clockwise in the afternoon to even the wear out :)

That's a really good idea!

Surely it can't cause too many problems to organise?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:
Speedy wrote:Can we drive the course clockwise in the morning, then anti-clockwise in the afternoon to even the wear out :)

That's a really good idea!

Surely it can't cause too many problems to organise?

GLOL! I was only joking!

Its not a great idea because of the speed with which you'd be heading toward the pitlane from the other direction. I've never ever seen it done before. I can ask Jonny about it if you want (i'm at elv next Sat).
michael

Post by michael »

Its worth asking, maybe swap a few cones around in the lunch break to shift the chicane from one side to the other?

I've never ever seen it done before

Seems like a good selling point "Bookatrack - the only company who cares about tyre wear" or "Two trackdays for the price of one" ;)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

michael wrote:Its worth asking, maybe swap a few cones around in the lunch break to shift the chicane from one side to the other?

I've never ever seen it done before

Seems like a good selling point "Bookatrack - the only company who cares about tyre wear" or "Two trackdays for the price of one" ;)

I'll ask see what he says.

You could always swop your tyres over side to side though. It won't make a mega difference on directional tyres either. I know this as some duffer put on my tyres the wrong way round at my first two races at Oulton last year!
michael

Post by michael »

Lauren wrote:
You could always swop your tyres over side to side though

I'm lazy ;)
woody

Post by woody »

i am soooooo tempted to book a place.. ive owned mr2s for over 4 years now and never been on a trackday so i think its about time :mrgreen: ..
as a total newbie to it, im just a bit worried that i would be holding people up who know what they are doing. is this a day for anyone or is it .....experienced need only apply. :?
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I'm sure Lauren will come flying in here in a sec, but from a relative track-day newbie - the days are very friendly, you only drive at a pace which you are comfortable at, and overtaking is by consent only (i.e. you indicate to show that you are moving out of the way).

Anybody who is aggressive, or anybody who holds everybody else up (i.e. doesn't move over), will get a quick talking to.. As long as you aren't inconsiderate, you'll be fine :)

I spose it's a good idea to do your first trackday at an airfield, because there is quite a lot of run off, with only cones to damage the car.
michael

Post by michael »

Don't worry about experience, once you get out there it's all very civil, especially on a club day.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

woody wrote:i am soooooo tempted to book a place.. ive owned mr2s for over 4 years now and never been on a trackday so i think its about time :mrgreen: ..
as a total newbie to it, im just a bit worried that i would be holding people up who know what they are doing. is this a day for anyone or is it .....experienced need only apply. :?

Honestly don't worry about it. this day really is newbie friendly. don't worry about others as the more experienced drivers will give you plenty of room. I'll bet you find that a good half of those on the IMOC day are newbies themselves. Of the rest only a relative few have a decent amount of experience and they'll know how to behave themselves anyway.

At BookaTrack we don't tolerate inconsiderate or aggressive driving. If i or any of the rest of the team see or hear about someone acting in this way they will get a rollicking. I think the club atmosphere is the best possible environment to do your first trackday. Particularly so at elvington where there is plenty of room.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Woody, this kind of airfield day is ideal for first timers.

Basically, everyone gets a briefing in the morning. Overtaking is by consent of the car in front only and generally people are very curteous out on the circuit.

If you want to 'experiement' and see how late you can brake, how hard the car will corner and where the limits of grip are, just check around / behind you before commiting to the corner / braking zone. If it goes wrong, at an airfield at the worst you'll end up bouncing across some grass.

Post by Guest »

Woody,
It'll be a great trip and on top of the driving is the social aspect of it all - names to faces, etc. With the session being an open pitlane it (IMHO) makes for a much more relaxing day.

I find an open pit lane removes the drive to get a full sessions worth so when it comes to taking out passengers it's much easier. Also if it does get a bit busy then it's very simple to come off the track, wait a little while and then go back to the pit-lane to queue up and get back out on track. The open pit lane means there's no urgency to make the most of your allocated session time.

I'm booked up provisionally and will make it a formal booking tonight (when I dig out my plastic & learn how to use my BaT credit) although I'm not sure what I'll be driving, I will be driving and I'll have a free passenger seat - whatever I'm in it'll be Mk1 shape and Mica Blue. You're welcome to come out for a passenger ride - but nothing matches driving.

Cheers,
Si.
woody

Post by woody »

cheers guys, im sold... just gotta convince the other half and im gonna put my name down.

the only problem really is that its such a trek from where i live.. i think i'll just make it a weekend away. it'll leave plenty of time to sample the local brews \:D/
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Hrms its looking tempting... However... i'm worried about a few things....
1. Wrecking my car (mechanically)
2. Trashing my nice potenzas!
3. Hitting something...
4. Getting laffed at for having the slowest mr2 on the track!

I really don't want to go home with an expensive garage bill for a new head gasket or something.... am I being paranoid here?

I'm doing a track day in someone elses car on the 9th of april so we'll see how that goes and decide from there?
michael

Post by michael »

Goldy wrote:Hrms its looking tempting... However... i'm worried about a few things....
1. Wrecking my car (mechanically)

If you break a car in that way on track it was going to break on the road anyway, just a bit later on.

2. Trashing my nice potenzas!

Buy some cheaper tyres, I had a set of brand new Maxxis tyres on the last Elvington day, there is enough life in them for the next one, save the Potenzas for a circuit.

3. Hitting something...

Very difficult to do unless you are a talented idiot or break the rules of the track - the only thing you are likely to hit is a cone or two if you are exploring your limits :)

4. Getting laffed at for having the slowest mr2 on the track!

It's suprising how equal things can become on track and as nobody is timing and nobody has anything to prove just pick your own pace, just remember to use the overtaking rules and let people past when you can.

am I being paranoid here?

Yes :)
NetsMR2

FAO Lauren

Post by NetsMR2 »

hi Lauren,
I'm a track day virgin, what do i need to know ??
me and my other half would love to come - but i'm a bit scared of breaking my car!
would love to learn to drive it properly though (went sideways round Asda car park last week and scared myself to death! didnt know how to correct the slide)
do you think it's worth us coming ?
let me know !
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

For the sake of a quick reply :)

what do i need to know ??

That you need to slow down to go around corners, and that no matter how good a driver you think you are, there is always somebody better.

scared of breaking my car!

Fear not! - Nobody will run into you, so the only person responsible for damaging your car will be you. TBH, a track is a much safer place to drive than the road, so if you can't drive it on the track, where can you drive it? Expect slightly above average wear on the brakes and tyres - but not much.

Yes

:)

The only problem with trackdays - and it's a serious one - is that you'll probably want to do more :D
NetsMR2

Post by NetsMR2 »

Thank you - I'll be booking my place then! so be nice to me! and no laughing when i drive slowly!!
see you in september ! :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: FAO Lauren

Post by Lauren »

NetsMR2 wrote:hi Lauren,
I'm a track day virgin, what do i need to know ??
me and my other half would love to come - but i'm a bit scared of breaking my car!
would love to learn to drive it properly though (went sideways round Asda car park last week and scared myself to death! didnt know how to correct the slide)
let me know !

Nets,

This day is tailored exactly for you! One of the main reasons we do airfield days is because they are the safest environment with nothing to hit apart from the odd small cone. Don't worry about your car. If it is in good order you will have nothing to worry about. I did 30+ trackdays in my old SC and never suffered a mechanical failure.

Its definately worth you coming, yes! There will be i reckon approx half of the field will have never been on track before and I would say that there will be relatively few with lots of experience. You can always book some instruction which is well worthwhile IMO.

Basically all that Alex (Speedy) said. Remember there will always be someone faster than you and in the same token there will always be someone slower than you. Its not a competition its all about having fun with your car and exploring the cars and your limits in a safe controlled environment.

Look forward to seeing you there. :)
NetsMR2

Post by NetsMR2 »

Thanks Lauren - we'll see you there, just booked our place
thanks again! :D
michael

Post by michael »

Lauren wrote:
The day will be open pit lane.

Bookatrack Website wrote:
Event Format: 3 x 20 minute sessions per hour.

Which one is it?

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”