H4 HID Kit Interest?

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

monkeyra
Premium Member

Re: H4 HID Kit Interest?

Post by monkeyra »

Leeroy wrote:
monkeyra wrote:Hi and low's for £135? Not a chance.....

Rather than make a glancing statement, would you care to expand on why you think this?

My comment was based on people asking above if it was a high and low based solution.

As someone who has purchased HID's in the past, and have also done research in the trade prices and retails prices of HID's, you won't get high and low's for £135. If you can, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole IMO ;)
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

monkeyra wrote:
Leeroy wrote:
monkeyra wrote:Hi and low's for £135? Not a chance.....

Rather than make a glancing statement, would you care to expand on why you think this?

My comment was based on people asking above if it was a high and low based solution.

As someone who has purchased HID's in the past, and have also done research in the trade prices and retails prices of HID's, you won't get high and low's for £135. If you can, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole IMO ;)

Ah, think I miss-understood your post. I thought you were saying it was far too much to pay lol!

So what is your opinion now that we've been told they're HID dipped and Halogen for main beam?

Jut interested in your opinion :D
monkeyra
Premium Member

Post by monkeyra »

HID's are brilliant, worth every penny :)

I've got HID dipped on my Lexus. The extra cost for main beam I don't think is that criticial, how often do you flash your lights/ drive with main beam on?
If I do, main beam is ample enough anyway.

But £135 for dips, if the quality is good (and the correct light output, eg, 6500k etc) then go for it, you won't regret it :)
SW20 Rev1 Supercharged 2GR-FE Powered Trackday Car.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

monkeyra wrote:HID's are brilliant, worth every penny :)

Jolly good :D

monkeyra wrote:I've got HID dipped on my Lexus. The extra cost for main beam I don't think is that criticial, how often do you flash your lights/ drive with main beam on?

I use them a fair bit - around country areas... but yeh, halogen mains are superb anyway on these.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Leeroy wrote:
monkeyra wrote:I've got HID dipped on my Lexus. The extra cost for main beam I don't think is that criticial, how often do you flash your lights/ drive with main beam on?

I use them a fair bit - around country areas... but yeh, halogen mains are superb anyway on these.

Yeah, same here. I now live in country areas and with the early dark nights I'm using my high beams for 15 mins at least per drive in the evenings.

I now really need to know what sort of time scale we're looking at - even an approximation. My Peugeot wouldn't start tonight and I've had to abandon it at Uni. Looks like the parts I need are going to be £100-£150 which may ruin this. Unfortunately I need the daily driver more desperately than these as I'm now stuck with 2 buses per day... :( If we're looking at getting them in 2 weeks or so I may be okay. Just not before then...
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

I'd be very interested in these but does anyone know if these will be suitable for the Rogue Revision 6 Twin headlight jobbies??? :-k

http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/forms/Product.aspx?ID=298
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Julian, you're probably best off contacting Rogue, they'll know best.

However, given my VERY basic understanding of how HID's work, I don't see that there should be a problem. HID's basically strike an arc across an inert gas to produce the light, rather than passing a current along a filament in the case of a normal bulb. It's kinda like a fluroescent (sp) bulb as apposed to a normal light bulb at home.

That's my understanding of it anyway, I'm probably miles off course :lol:

If the above is true, then the manner in which the light is produced shouldn't affect the headlights......with the possible exception of heat (if HID's produce more heat that is??)

Leeroy, I think I fell into the same pitfall as you did, a lot clearer now monkeyra has commented again :mrgreen:
arman

Post by arman »

1. Leeroy - 6000k
2. Slarty - 6000k
3. MonkeyMax - 6000k
4. Pete
5. Arman - 8000k
n/a smoothie

Post by n/a smoothie »

hi all
new to all this and would like to join the group buy but do you need to be a premium member?
also how do you att your name
ian
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Hi n/a smoothie! Welcome!
I've added you to the list. To do this, select the text from the post above, then click the "Post Reply" button below and paste it into the new post.
There is another method as well; use the quote button in the message you want to use, then delete the quote bits of code (the bits in the square brackets - these: [ ]).
I've put you down for the 6000k - as this is so far the most popular choice. If you want to go for 8000k, say so on this thread or copy and paste the list into a new message and change your choice.

-Max

Edit: I'm not sure if you have to be a premium member to join in on this, but I don't think so. I'm sure someone will come on here and clarify.

1. Leeroy - 6000k
2. Slarty - 6000k
3. MonkeyMax - 6000k
4. Pete
5. Arman - 8000k
6. n/a smoothie - 6000k
injury_ian

Post by injury_ian »

Speedy wrote:

injury_ian - The H4 combination kit is a non mechanical halogen / xenon combination

:thumleft:

:wink: Nit being a pain, so, the bulb has both a holgen and a HID filimant?

So when the halogen breaks (as it will in 'x' hundred hours) we have to get a new twin set up replacement bulb? any prices on these?

I'd be very interested in these but does anyone know if these will be suitable for the Rogue Revision 6 Twin headlight jobbies??? [Think]

I think you'll find the Rogue Twin lamps setup uses H7's not H4's
jakirby

Post by jakirby »

1. Leeroy - 6000k
2. Slarty - 6000k
3. MonkeyMax - 6000k
4. Pete
5. Arman - 8000k
6. n/a smoothie - 6000k
7. jakirby - 6000K
Babboon

Post by Babboon »

Interested in these as the standard lights are pretty naff tbh.

How easy are they to fit? (any examples or instructions would be handy to see). Also what sort of cost are you looking at for bulb replacement and can you get them down your local halfrauds?

Do you have a pictures of what each beam looks like to give an idea of difference between standard and the HID or is there a webbie link you'd recommend looking at? Provisionally, I'd be interested in the 6k as it appears to give the best quality lighting from what I have read rather than the 8k which sacrifices a bit of visability for looking good.

Cheers
nick200

Post by nick200 »

1. Leeroy - 6000k
2. Slarty - 6000k
3. MonkeyMax - 6000k
4. Pete
5. Arman - 8000k
6. n/a smoothie - 6000k
7. jakirby - 6000K
8. nick - 6000K
Andy.B

Post by Andy.B »

1. Leeroy - 6000k
2. Slarty - 6000k
3. MonkeyMax - 6000k
4. Pete
5. Arman - 8000k
6. n/a smoothie - 6000k
7. jakirby - 6000K
8. nick - 6000K
9. Andy.B - 8000k
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Thanks all for the interest, I'll fire off the questions to the supplier, and see what they say :thumleft:
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

I can't really decide on 6 or 8k bulbs?

7k would be perfect lol :lol:

:-k
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

The supplier will be holding stock of replacement bulbs @ £15 each.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Speedy, I assume if I went for 8k and didn't get on with them I could buy 2 more bulbs (£30) at 6k instead and use them?
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Leeroy wrote:Speedy, I assume if I went for 8k and didn't get on with them I could buy 2 more bulbs (£30) at 6k instead and use them?

I would assume you're right, but I'll check to make sure it's the bulbs which are the 6k part, and not some other part of the system.

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”