What trackday shall i do!

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: What trackday shall i do!

Post by Lauren »

luthor1 wrote:Silverstone was awesome on the Motorbike (ZX-6R).

I thought Hanger Straight was long, but coming onto it with the back wheel spinning and hitting 155mph by the end for hard-braking right, it felt VERY short. On a bike, Silverston was cool. In the MR2 it would be awful, I mean flat over the start-finish, close to flat through Copse, bit of flicking through magots, hangar would be boring, yeah, in a Mk1NA would be tosh, but on bike is extremely good. good consisten surface and great knee-down action.

Perhaps Bike trackdays are more "fun" though? Not trying to hone skills really, just grinding your sliders to nothing and leaving as many black lines behind you as possible!

You ever done the full circuit Lauren?

Nope.
I've done the international in my old tuned SC. I have raced, tested and took my licence on the national circuit, which must be teh simplest layout possible with something like 5 corners.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

I was going to do the trackday, then i realised that i will struggle....im 6'5 and my hair just about scrapes the roof of my car...hence no room for helmet!

God damn being so tall! #-o :( #-o
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Hurstie1981 wrote:I was going to do the trackday, then i realised that i will struggle....im 6'5 and my hair just about scrapes the roof of my car...hence no room for helmet!

Lower your seat or lop a few inches off your neck.. Alternatively get a big hammer and knock the roof up a bit like a GT40.. you never know it might catch on.. ;)

Seriously thats a PITA I know so many people who track MR2s who do it ridiculously reclined or with their head cocked to one side... must be a PITA... but i wouldn't know being all of 5ft 4" and a quarter. Seriously though put a helmet on and see if you can work out a driving position you can cope with.

I know who a guy who is 6ft 5", he basically binned the seat and just taped a load of foam to the floor and rear bulkhead of the car and used that.. said it worked fine, so there's a possible option for you.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Hurstie1981 wrote:I was going to do the trackday, then i realised that i will struggle....im 6'5 and my hair just about scrapes the roof of my car...hence no room for helmet!

You in a Mk1 or Mk2?

I'm 6ft2 and find it tricky to fit in the MK1 with my helmet, but I usually end up with a dodgy seating position that I wouldn't use on the road but is OK on the track. The Mk2 was OK, but over bumps I'd have to duck so I didn't clonk my helmet on the T-Bars.

The Mk3 is fine funnily enough - loads of headroom, even with the hard-top on.
Hurstie1981

Post by Hurstie1981 »

Its a mark 2, and its not a t-bar either....hmmm, might try and fudge a seat up out of some old fairy liquid bottles and PVA glue... :roll:
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

You should be able to work something out. When you're looking for a helmet, one thing to do is to check the thickness of it - there is some variation. Cheaper ones tend to be 'thicker' ...
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

When I went to Silverstone on the full circuit, it was awesome, I highly recommend it. May not be everyone's cup of tea, and you do need something with some poke.

Interestingly, after our trackday, in the evening, a load of cars came down to do the evening session. There was a lot of high tech stuff there, from 911turbo's to GT3, to aerial atom's, and a radical SR3.

Fastest thing there by miles though (from our timing on the pit-wall) was a caterham R500, man that thing FLEW. I couldn't believe the speed he was carrying through corners, almost defied belief.

Anyway, I digress. Good circuit (GP circuit) in the right vehicle, but careful, as a crash will certainly be at insanely high speeds.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

BenF wrote:

You in a Mk1 or Mk2?

I'm 6ft2 and find it tricky to fit in the MK1 with my helmet, but I usually end up with a dodgy seating position that I wouldn't use on the road but is OK on the track. The Mk2 was OK, but over bumps I'd have to duck so I didn't clonk my helmet on the T-Bars.

The Mk3 is fine funnily enough - loads of headroom, even with the hard-top on.

6ft3 here :P - adopt a more laid-back seating position, you'll be fine :)
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”