big power rev2

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JJ

Re: big power rev2

Post by JJ »

bodleytunes wrote:Hey im not a lazy southerner cheeky git! :oops:

Im from stockport which is manchester (north west!!!!!)

8)

BTW does 14.39@97 sound okay for a near standard car, exept for a hks induction kit n a hks half system - still has cat.

That was with crap slick back tyres too got much grippy ones on now!

Your south of me !!! :D

14.39 is about the norm.... I've mentioned before about cranking the boost up a tad make a whole world of difference on these cars !

Hows the S13 ?? I've got one kicking about if you need any bits.... engine doesn't seem cricket though... on an L plate !
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

hornsey wrote:
stevecordiner wrote: Not all yank numbers are b0llocks - just some of them :)

at last someone else who believes it :)

paul

I believe it when they back it up with performance to match. Jeff Fazio is a point in case, even when he just had 305rwhp he was consistly hitting 117mph trap speeds and had a highest of 120mph+. Thats some serious get up an go lol!

I dont believe some of them when they strap an IC on, a ct20b - then have no tuning and produce 260+ rwhp at 1 bar though.

The proof should be in the pudding this year - there are about a dozen people with different proper turbos, ICs and engine management. It'll be good to see what results happen on the UK dyno's with comparable setups to the yanks.

My personal setup is going to look like this;

T67
Plenty of fuel with EMS
ST205 CC setup

That alone should be seeing around 300hp at 1.1 bar

HKS cams 272 in / 264 out revving to 8k

Say an extra 25hp lol

RMR intake manifold with rev 3 TB -

lol ... fazio found 40rwhp gains at 1 bar street tune on the stock TB. So that should add atleast another 25hp at the fly for me.

What do you recon

Are my pistons going to pop if I leave boost at 1.1-1.3 bar?
HP guestimates?
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

stevecordiner wrote:

What do you recon

Are my pistons going to pop if I leave boost at 1.1-1.3 bar?
HP guestimates?

YES :)

Being serious I think you would have a problem at them power levels if you get any serious detonation, As they will be under a fair amount of stress and know rev2 pistons arn't the strongest then this could be a case where they pop. I would get a safe tune dont to keep it as safe as posible

I know you're taking the precautions of low(ish) boost I just think you might be living on the edge a little

HP guesstimate = A quick car

Dont see why It wouldnt put out high3's

paul
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Lol ... plan for avoiding piston popping for me is a Thor tune which tends to be quite rich and then put the WI on top to avoid unusual detonation. Purely as an anti det measure rather than a tweeking tool. It'll cost a few hp, but provide excellent protection.

Oh, 2mm HG too to drop CR a tad.

It'll be good to see what happens :)
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

The S13 is great thanx! its got 15psi on standard exhaust + volvo t5 FMIC it did 14.7 with crap back tyres and blowing manifold/turbo!

Ive just bought a GTiR T28 turbo for it for 50quid! get that fitted, with my new walbro, and stage2 chip + my mongoose which has just been fitted and im expecting 275bhp or more! bring on the 13s

Back to the 330ci, you can chuck poxy 0-60 figures out the window once your on a straight and doing 30mph!!!

Why do people continue to look at 0-60 times as proof of speed once rolling! :roll:

But anyway either it was an m3 which would easily catch me, or i was in saftey boost i reckon coz it seemed a bit sluggish to wind up the boost and it often does that :(

JJ, wats up with the s13, dont tell me its the famous big-end thats gone, tis the most common fate of all s13's !!! :(
MR2Mania

Post by MR2Mania »

Dave Couzens wrote:As for a 330d although it has more torque than an e46 m3 i really can't see it out shifting one once they are both up and running - you are looking at nearly 150bhp down with only 20lb/ft more torque. They are really impressive on motorways for pulling out speed in higher gears - but i still would think that booting one against the other would leave the turbo (or the M3!) ahead. Again straight line comparison only

The 330d has something like 280lb/ft standard. Add a plug-n-play Unichip to it and you've got 280bhp and 400lb/ft of torque! One recent report of a similar product on the 330d suggests that it can do 0-60mph in 5.8 secs! :-o Not bad for a diesel, huh? ;)
JJ

Post by JJ »

bodleytunes wrote:

JJ, wats up with the s13, dont tell me its the famous big-end thats gone, tis the most common fate of all s13's !!! :(

Bod,

Nothing wrong with it now.... since petrols been added !! lol !! :shock: The engine and stuff will be up for sale soon on ebay !! its certainly a flier now, my collegue just managed a couple of donuts out of it on a slippery bit of road.... LSD on this !! clever.... pitty the side of it is all mashed !! would have made a good drifting car ! :D
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Dave Couzens

Post by Dave Couzens »

MR2Mania wrote:
Dave Couzens wrote:As for a 330d although it has more torque than an e46 m3 i really can't see it out shifting one once they are both up and running - you are looking at nearly 150bhp down with only 20lb/ft more torque. They are really impressive on motorways for pulling out speed in higher gears - but i still would think that booting one against the other would leave the turbo (or the M3!) ahead. Again straight line comparison only

The 330d has something like 280lb/ft standard. Add a plug-n-play Unichip to it and you've got 280bhp and 400lb/ft of torque! One recent report of a similar product on the 330d suggests that it can do 0-60mph in 5.8 secs! :-o Not bad for a diesel, huh? ;)

Yeah - fair point - warranty invalidating though - so you don't see too many. I know it's a monster car - and i have the upmost respect for it. It certainly shifts. I read the review of a chipped one in Autocar and like you said they had it mid 5's i think.

However, i wasn't saying that it was slow - just that an e46 m3 would still be quicker! :D I reckon anyway
Gazboy

Post by Gazboy »

bodleytunes wrote:and anyway i dont agree that a standard 220bhp car should "eat" a 330ci.

330ci is not much heavier than an mr2 but has a lot more torque so once its rolling, which it was coz we were doing like 30mph at the beggining of the road, beemers are pretty fast at speed so i cant see my near standard car blitzing it!!

Jon.

They are about quarter of a ton heavier, and a stock MRT has more torque (just).

A collegue has one of these, and every day, I waste him down the slip road.

btw, you can have an M3 in any colour you like. :)
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

well hopefully it was an m3 then!

i know m3s are 1550 kg or sommet.

I think i better start tuning my car and fit that bleed valve thingy
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

bodleytunes wrote:Wooo nice new site!!! hello!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway heres my Q...

Ive had my rev 2 tubby for nearly 2 years now, originally i was gonna upgrade to a rev3, but im having such a hard time selling it, i cant be ar$ed with the hassle of the selling and might just mod this car.

Just wondering what the steps would be to get 300+ bhp or torque?

300ft/lbs is possible on a fairly standard rev2 and Ct-26 - you'd need intake, free flowing exhaust, and an APEXi AVC-R controller set to 17psi. That's really the very upper end of what you should be running a standard Rev2 on.

This comes in fairly low down, around 4krpms, but at higher engine revs the standard CT-26 can't make enough boost and drops back to 14psi at redline.

thinking of this

Profec electronic boost controller
greddy emange
big intercooler
bigger injectors 550s?
bigger turbo ... what type?
boost set to 15-18psi?
nur spec exhaust.

See my profile - I've got a plot of a 302bhp run there, I've got another of 308. This was with the standard intercooler, injectors - but I don't run it at that state of tune on the road!

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240
Last edited by BenF on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayng

Post by Jayng »

If you`re only getting 3/4 boost then it`s time to sort out your ignition bits. Mentioned on the list many times. Dizzy cap, rotor arm, leads are major culprits. change the plugs while you`re at it. You`ll notice that you won`t get the 3/4 boost restriction after that and the car will be more responsive.

bodleytunes wrote:Well there aint nothing wrong with my car, coz i did a 14.3 quarter mile at york on my first ever go, and after that did 14.5 all day which is about right aint it?

Thing is it seems too build boost very slow and sometimes the little needle only goes up 3/4 its like its boosting saftey mode a lot more than normal maybe?

cheers,
Bodley.
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

I had a play with a 330D, kicked its f*%ing ar$e......EASY
Can't wait for some good weather and go M3 hunting and Skyline and Scoobys and and and :twisted:
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

is yours a tweaked tubby?
michael

Post by michael »

bodleytunes wrote:is yours a tweaked tubby?

Andy's is standard with go-faster stripes :wink:
Andy F

Post by Andy F »

Hi mate , yes but not mapped yet :roll:
You should also consider getting rid of the AFM, Power FC or simular.

Hope you had a happy Christmas Michael
Do you like my new aggresive style post's
michael

Post by michael »

Loving the new straight to the point style Andy, it'll get you lots of fans :)

I had a crap Christmas but it was expected, could have been worse though so can't grumble :D
bodleytunes

Post by bodleytunes »

get rid of the afm? Why ?
jonno

Post by jonno »

bodleytunes wrote:get rid of the afm? Why ?

Going with the all new Andy F style posts, "AFM's are crap, junk it".

More usefully :) - AFM's have a limit on how much pressure they can measure, I *think* rev2's hit this at about 15psi? So essentially you can run more boost than 15psi but your engine wont know exactly how much - this is v.bad and v.dangerous since your ECU doesent know how much fuel to use - the stock ECU tends to just send the injectors to 100% duty cycle to compensate which robs you of power but protects the engine from running lean.

To combat this you need an ECU that is capable of using a MAP sensor and probably mapping different injectors too. This means your ECU knows exactly how much boost pressure your running and can inject the precise amount of required fuel to acheive a near stoichiometric burn. All cars run rich, perfect stoichiometric AFR is 14:1 i think? but road cars tend to run at about 11:1, well mapped cars nudge 12:1. Dino tells me the perfect engine AFR is 12.4 for power and reliability. Without a decent MAP sensor and ECU that can control fuelling you will be nowhere near and loose loads of power.

Neil.
Forever Feels Like Home, Sitting All Alone Inside Your Head...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

jonno wrote:
bodleytunes wrote:get rid of the afm? Why ?

Going with the all new Andy F style posts, "AFM's are crap, junk it".

More usefully :) - AFM's have a limit on how much pressure they can measure, I *think* rev2's hit this at about 15psi?

.. Hmm, you're thinking of the Rev2 boost pressure sensor perhaps? That does top out at 16ish psi, but the ECU will have put a normal car until fuel cut well before that.

People usually junk the AFM as they see it as a restriction in the intake, limiting boost.

But its not been a problem for me :D

Return to “Modifications”